headphones for metal
Nov 29, 2008 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

super

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Posts
4
Likes
0
I read that the a700's were good for metal, although the ad700's were better all around. I usually listen to more progressive metal (opeth) that would incorporate acoustic guitar/soft vocals, etc. but I do love my brutal death metal (with really good hi's when it comes to guitar leads). My question is, would I be more satisfied with the a700 or would I be better off sticking with open headphones? I don't want to get the a700 and be disappointed when I decide to listen to something other than metal.

(if open, which ones?)

Thanks.

edit: also, I'm going to be using these from either my mobo's sound card or from an ipod, so they can't require too much power) Price: around $150 US
 
Nov 29, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 11

JayB18

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 18, 2006
Posts
821
Likes
19
Id recommend either the AD700 or Alessandro MS-1. The A700 wouldn't be good for metal due to the recessed midrange. Both the MS-1 and AD700 have forward midranges. The MS-1 is the better of the 2 for metal though due to its better bass impact. Both the MS-1 and AD700 make great all rounders though. The MS-1 is a bit more suited to rock music while the AD700 is better for classical, jazz, games, and movies. Neither are bad at anything though.
 
Nov 29, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 11

jclaytonsound

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Posts
202
Likes
0
I've heard that the Denon AH-D2000s are good for metal, although I have no personal experience with them. They will be the next pair of cans I pick up...
 
Nov 29, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 11

super

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Posts
4
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Id recommend either the AD700 or Alessandro MS-1. The A700 wouldn't be good for metal due to the recessed midrange. Both the MS-1 and AD700 have forward midranges. The MS-1 is the better of the 2 for metal though due to its better bass impact. Both the MS-1 and AD700 make great all rounders though. The MS-1 is a bit more suited to rock music while the AD700 is better for classical, jazz, games, and movies. Neither are bad at anything though.


I can't find the Alessandro MS-1 on sale anywhere. Link?
 
Nov 30, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 11

WittyzTH

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 26, 2007
Posts
1,366
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems they are having a discount but I added the MS-1s to my cart and came up with a normal price. Here is the link though.

Alessandro High-End Products



* Headphones, vacuum tubes, high-end parts, Working Dog amps, and
vintage gear not subject to online discounts.
 
Nov 30, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 11

super

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Posts
4
Likes
0
Hmm, I started looking at the grado sr-80 and the sr-225. I hear they're really good at everything and especially rock/metal. I just wanted to know whether the 225 is worth the extra money If I'm not going to be using an amp.

Also, would the ms-1 be better than those 2?
 
Nov 30, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 11

scytheavatar

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Posts
2,001
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally Posted by super /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I started looking at the grado sr-80 and the sr-225. I hear they're really good at everything and especially rock/metal. I just wanted to know whether the 225 is worth the extra money If I'm not going to be using an amp.

Also, would the ms-1 be better than those 2?



MS1 = watered down SR80. Get them if you want something more all-rounded.

As for SR80/SR225 vs AD700, the Grados have a better bass slam, but the AD700 is more comfortable and has a superior soundstage. Personally, I think the Grados are terrible phones for Opeth, as their presentation kindna ruins the atmosphere (they make it sound like everything is squeezed onto your head), and for Death Metal vox you'll want as much air as possible. They work well for the more direct Thrash/Power/Heavy Metal, but for the less direct Progressive/Black/Doom Metal they are not so good. So if you are looking for a good phone for Opeth I'll recommend the AD700, as long as you don't mind having less bass.
 
Nov 30, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 11

JayB18

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 18, 2006
Posts
821
Likes
19
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS1 = watered down SR80. Get them if you want something more all-rounded.

As for SR80/SR225 vs AD700, the Grados have a better bass slam, but the AD700 is more comfortable and has a superior soundstage. Personally, I think the Grados are terrible phones for Opeth, as their presentation kindna ruins the atmosphere (they make it sound like everything is squeezed onto your head), and for Death Metal vox you'll want as much air as possible. They work well for the more direct Thrash/Power/Heavy Metal, but for the less direct Progressive/Black/Doom Metal they are not so good. So if you are looking for a good phone for Opeth I'll recommend the AD700, as long as you don't mind having less bass.



I agree. If you do pick a grado, get the MS-1. If you want an even better all rounder, get the AD700.
 
Nov 30, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 11

super

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Posts
4
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS1 = watered down SR80. Get them if you want something more all-rounded.

As for SR80/SR225 vs AD700, the Grados have a better bass slam, but the AD700 is more comfortable and has a superior soundstage. Personally, I think the Grados are terrible phones for Opeth, as their presentation kindna ruins the atmosphere (they make it sound like everything is squeezed onto your head), and for Death Metal vox you'll want as much air as possible. They work well for the more direct Thrash/Power/Heavy Metal, but for the less direct Progressive/Black/Doom Metal they are not so good. So if you are looking for a good phone for Opeth I'll recommend the AD700, as long as you don't mind having less bass.



Okay, sounds good. I was thrown off before because people made it seem like the ad700 was a no-no for rock/metal. I'm glad I finally know what I'm getting for x-mas.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top