Headphones for Metal & Rock with Cantate - Help me choose
Dec 12, 2008 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Spadge

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I am currently looking for some full sized cans for myself and really need some advice as I can't get a chance to get to any shops here in Australia to audition anything decent.

My source will be FLAC files running to an external DAC (Modded Dac-lite) and on to my Cantate. Or maybe even from the PC to the DAC on the Cantate (can't decide which one I like better)

I listen to mainly hard rock and metal music (Metallica, Tool, Grimfist, AC/DC) with some older rock mixed in (The Doors, Pink Floyd etc)

I have tried the Allesandro MS-2's (not with this amp though) and found them to be too bright with not enough bass impact. I also have tried a pair of open Darth Beyers which I quite enjoyed but still found to be quite bright and overall there is 'something' that just doesn't sit right with my taste (not quite sure how to describe it... they just leave me wanting more).

I also have the Sleek SA-6 canal phones which I quite like. These come close to what I am looking but could do with some more bass impact. Soundstage is also quite restricted being canalphones as well.

My budget is undecided at the moment. Would like to keep it lower than AU$600 but will consider other options if need be.

So can anyone offer me any advice as to what I should be looking at? The HD650's sound like they might suit but I've read a lot saying they don't do well with metal. I don't think the grado/allesandro range suit my tastes (too bright, narrow soundstage and not much bass impact) and they are usually suggested as metal/rock phones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 5
Personally, I would use an all-rounder like the AD2000 or see if you can audition the AKG K240 Sextett EP or MP.

The HD650 is nice, but there is a veil. The treble can be a bit harsh as well. The veil is a recession in the upper region, followed by a treble spike. It has nice warmth, though, and it does sound excellent. For the music category, not so much.

I'm not really fond of Grado myself, bass light/rolled off and harsh treble. Unfortunately, I have never heard the Sleek so I can't figure out what you like.

The best I can figure out, referencing Darth Beyer, is that you like warmth, lots of it. Bass, lots of it, and you don't like treble. The only headphones in my arsenal that might approach what I'm guessing you are describing is the M-Audio Q40, but it is weak in soundstage. The AKG K240 Sextett MP I own does well with rock. It's highs are not as extended, but there is a bit of awkwardness in the treble area. It may bother you, I'm not entirely sure.

You might want to reference posts by Skylab. I think your tastes may line up, but you'll have to see what he refers to as darker in tone. I am a Beyer fan, so that's not really going to help much.

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 5
thanks for the reply

I do like warmth in a phone. I am not sure that I would say I like a huge AMOUNT of bass but I certainly need it to be present and very punchy. I certainly don't like bloat or boom in the bass area. I just need to be able to distinctly hear/'feel' the 'thump' of the drums.

I also wouldn't say I don't LIKE treble... but if there is too much I find I get tired of listening quite quickly. I've also heard the atrio M5's and found them to be a little recessed in this area (although not by a great deal) and quite 'grainy' which I didn't like. Bass on those IEMS was pretty good, although a little boomy/not punchy.

I will look up your suggestions and seek out posts by Skylab.

Thanks
Paul

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm starting to think the AH-D2000 or D5000 might fit the bill?

Paul

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spadge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm starting to think the AH-D2000 or D5000 might fit the bill?

Paul

They will have lots of bass impact, but they will lack speed in comparison to the Grados/Alessandros. And their mids will be a bit recessed. So you'll need to decide what you want more.

If you like the SA6 I'll recommend the AD2000, which is very similar. You will probably still find that it lacks bass impact, but IMHO it's not worth it to sacrifice the rest of the spectrum just for the bass.

And if you think the Atrio M5 is too dark you'll almost certainly hate the HD650. You might want to consider the HD600 instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back