Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 20, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #10,966 of 12,271
It might be a matter of definition. Most reviews of the Clear mention the treble being quite energetic, or downright fatiguing. But maybe 'warm' for you is not related to the treble.

1637410697419.png
About the Clear, I think my problem is that it lacks quite a lot of treble at specific frequencies, and that the middle zone (around 500-600 Hz) is very warm.
I used the Oratory EQ on them, which improved them a lot for my liking, but they were still too warm. I prefer a brighter or more analytical sound, like the Hifiman.

In IEMs I have already found my perfect match in the Mest OG and the Isabellae.

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #10,967 of 12,271
Nov 20, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #10,968 of 12,271
Already told you, the Radiance is a good choice. Dynamic drivers, good clamp force too. Not heavy. Seems to fit the bill. But sure, keep looking..😊
It's just the cost that's holding me back. I don't think they will ever drop much either, so I will need to save - and maybe sell a few.

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #10,969 of 12,271
Nov 21, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #10,970 of 12,271
About the Clear, I think my problem is that it lacks quite a lot of treble at specific frequencies, and that the middle zone (around 500-600 Hz) is very warm.
I used the Oratory EQ on them, which improved them a lot for my liking, but they were still too warm. I prefer a brighter or more analytical sound, like the Hifiman.

In IEMs I have already found my perfect match in the Mest OG and the Isabellae.

Nice, really curious to try the MEST one day, especially if you think it's similar to the Hifiman sound signature - I like some brightness for metal too and the bone conductor tech is interesting. I need to cool it for a while after getting the Monarch Mk2 though 😅.

About the Clear being warm, are you talking about the 1.5K peak? 500-600 looks dead flat. If so, what bothers you about it? I find that it can make vocals sound a little nasally, but is nice on many instruments - e.g. piano sounds richer, electric guitar sounds gritty and edgy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211120-220012.png
    Screenshot_20211120-220012.png
    512.6 KB · Views: 0
Nov 21, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #10,971 of 12,271
Nice, really curious to try the MEST one day, especially if you think it's similar to the Hifiman sound signature - I like some brightness for metal too and the bone conductor tech is interesting. I need to cool it for a while after getting the Monarch Mk2 though 😅.

About the Clear being warm, are you talking about the 1.5K peak? 500-600 looks dead flat. If so, what bothers you about it? I find that it can make vocals sound a little nasally, but is nice on many instruments - e.g. piano sounds richer, electric guitar sounds gritty and edgy.
It is difficult to put into words what I hear.
It is probably the enormous amount of energy that it loses with respect to the Arya from 3 kHz onwards.

I have found that I like them slightly above the Harman curve after 5 kHz.

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #10,972 of 12,271
What is required of a headphone to excel at a track like this? Giving punch and speed to the kick drums, punch and energy to the snares and power to the breakdowns?
What kind of headphones, and which frequencies would one look for in a frequency response? 1:30 and on in the track for reference.

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #10,973 of 12,271
New to this thread, a lot of pages to go through. Is there a general consensus on which are the best headphones for metal? Maybe top 5 recommendations out if this thread.

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #10,974 of 12,271
Nov 27, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #10,975 of 12,271
The Gjallarhorn is on my radar after the few pages of Kennerton talk.

For a while the Hifiman HE6se v2 was looking like the perfect metal headphone for me, but I'm really put off by the Hifiman QC lottery. I just don't want to deal with the relatively high likelihood of getting a dud sample.

Does anyone have any experience with both the Gjallarhorn and the HE6se v2? I do love the super-extended, fast, punchy sub-bass planars can do so effortlessly, I don't know how the Gjallarhorn keeps up. But something super-lively and energetic all around, fast and punchy sub-bass, full and textured mids, and highs that are crisp and clean and detailed without being harsh or fatiguing, that's the kind of headphone I'm looking for for metal. I don't know if the Gjallarhorn is that. And if not, I don't know what is. Especially for as far below $1k as possible

Nov 27, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #10,976 of 12,271
The Gjallarhorn is on my radar after the few pages of Kennerton talk.

For a while the Hifiman HE6se v2 was looking like the perfect metal headphone for me, but I'm really put off by the Hifiman QC lottery. I just don't want to deal with the relatively high likelihood of getting a dud sample.

Does anyone have any experience with both the Gjallarhorn and the HE6se v2? I do love the super-extended, fast, punchy sub-bass planars can do so effortlessly, I don't know how the Gjallarhorn keeps up. But something super-lively and energetic all around, fast and punchy sub-bass, full and textured mids, and highs that are crisp and clean and detailed without being harsh or fatiguing, that's the kind of headphone I'm looking for for metal. I don't know if the Gjallarhorn is that. And if not, I don't know what is. Especially for as far below $1k as possible
I love my HE6se v2 with metal. It has the slam, clarity, and separation I want under $600. Haven't found anything near that price with such performance yet.

Nov 28, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #10,977 of 12,271
Hp-1 was my daily driver before the hp-diamond and I always liked the speed and detail it has. Bass is a bit rolled off but what it has is detailed and fast.
Lately I am questioning all open-back (planar) headphones I tried since I got the new pads for my sash très. The sash completely fits my needs and I am even thinking of letting the hp-diamond go cause I listen to the sash more. I prefer that $350 headphone over the $1999 hp-diamond.
What pads are you using? I'm debating if I should add the perforated or velour pads along with my Tres

Users who are viewing this thread

Back