Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 28, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #10,606 of 12,280
I'm looking for a new set of open cans. Primary listening is metal, but I do throw in a good bit of other genres as well (post-punk, folk, prog, classic rock, jazz). Most of the metal I listen to leans hard to the black side of the spectrum though I do enjoy most flavors save for tech death and slam. I've previously owned the non-fazor LCD-2 which I had a love/hate relationship with. Loved the sound, hated the comfort or lack thereof. Currently have Meze 99 Classics and the Periodic Be. I like both, but neither are open of course. The 2 I have on my list so far are the LCD-1, Sundara, and Ananda.

Budget: around $500
Source: mostly FLAC files stored on LMS networked Hard Drive
DAC/Amp: I don't have anything currently, so recommendations for good pairings that would be great too
Sound signature: I am a bass player, so I do enjoy the lower end of the spectrum, but I do not consider myself a bass head. My reference bass track is Rush - Subdivisions if that helps give an idea. Kick drums need to have punch. Definitely want to avoid any boomy-ness if that makes sense.

Check out the Sundaras. They are 90-95% of the Anandas for half the price. They are actually punchier than the Anandas and I can verify they sound fantastic with Rush. I am a huge Rush fan (I'm an ex drummer) and they are my favorite band. The Sundaras go great with Rush and really with about anything you throw at them. I find they go well with tube hybrids like the Little Dot 1+ and Schiit Lyr. The money you saved with going with the Sundaras over the Anandas can be used to get something like a Little Dot 1+, Schiit Vali, etc and add DAC of your choice. If you want to spend a little more something like the Schiit Lyr or Cavalli Liquid Platinum are even better. Just my dos centavos.

Apr 28, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #10,607 of 12,280
Check out the Sundaras. They are 90-95% of the Anandas for half the price. They are actually punchier than the Anandas and I can verify they sound fantastic with Rush. I am a huge Rush fan (I'm an ex drummer) and they are my favorite band. The Sundaras go great with Rush and really with about anything you throw at them. I find they go well with tube hybrids like the Little Dot 1+ and Schiit Lyr. The money you saved with going with the Sundaras over the Anandas can be used to get something like a Little Dot 1+, Schiit Vali, etc and add DAC of your choice. If you want to spend a little more something like the Schiit Lyr or Cavalli Liquid Platinum are even better. Just my dos centavos.
Sounds like they would be right up my alley. As much as I like metal, if the gear doesn't pass the Rush test, it won't be around long.

Apr 28, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #10,608 of 12,280
Sounds like they would be right up my alley. As much as I like metal, if the gear doesn't pass the Rush test, it won't be around long.
I'll second a Sundara recommendation.

Apr 28, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #10,609 of 12,280
I'm looking for a new set of open cans. Primary listening is metal, but I do throw in a good bit of other genres as well (post-punk, folk, prog, classic rock, jazz). Most of the metal I listen to leans hard to the black side of the spectrum though I do enjoy most flavors save for tech death and slam. I've previously owned the non-fazor LCD-2 which I had a love/hate relationship with. Loved the sound, hated the comfort or lack thereof. Currently have Meze 99 Classics and the Periodic Be. I like both, but neither are open of course. The 2 I have on my list so far are the LCD-1, Sundara, and Ananda.

DAC/Amp: I don't have anything currently, so recommendations for good pairings that would be great too
Sound signature: I am a bass player, so I do enjoy the lower end of the spectrum, but I do not consider myself a bass head. My reference bass track is Rush - Subdivisions if that helps give an idea. Kick drums need to have punch. Definitely want to avoid any boomy-ness if that makes sense.
With black metal, I'd want something a little on the dark side. Do you find the 99s too dark or too bright with this genre in any way? I find them just about right, not swaying too much on either direction. Are you willing to purchase used?

Apr 28, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #10,610 of 12,280
With black metal, I'd want something a little on the dark side. Do you find the 99s too dark or too bright with this genre in any way? I find them just about right, not swaying too much on either direction. Are you willing to purchase used?
I do agree - the 99s are pretty dark. Almost to the point that, if you don't find them at least a little too dark anything even neutral-ish is going to seem way too bright in comparison.

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #10,611 of 12,280
I just ordered the Hemps. I’m so excited. The hype is real. They are also not too expensive to mod imo, if that’s a thing people do with headphones

it looks like a phone will drive them OK based on the impedance and sensitivity?

My recommendation is to listen to them stock for a while to see if the comfort is an issue for you before mo
The cable is not detachable. You don't need an XLR cable for the Hemp, it's overkill.

Mine

The Sundara may not hit hard enough for you. You'll need to ask around or check it out to be sure. I had the Hifiman HE-560, and I replaced it for that reason. I like the Grado Hemp a lot, but the comfort could be an issue.

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #10,612 of 12,280

I do agree - the 99s are pretty dark. Almost to the point that, if you don't find them at least a little too dark anything even neutral-ish is going to seem way too bright in comparison.

I find the 99's to be excellent. A little dark sure, but the do sound great with most any type of metal. It's the primary reason I bought them several years ago (same for the Periodic Be's). I'm mainly looking for open cans for a different sound signature and some variation. They have to work for metal, but are not specifically going to be used only for that type of listening. I'd love an open set of 99's as I do like the house sound, but I'm not ponying up for a set of Empyreans.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #10,615 of 12,280
My recommendation is to listen to them stock for a while to see if the comfort is an issue for you before mo

Mine

The Sundara may not hit hard enough for you. You'll need to ask around or check it out to be sure. I had the Hifiman HE-560, and I replaced it for that reason. I like the Grado Hemp a lot, but the comfort could be an issue.
The Sundaras respond extremely well to eq. I can get excellent slam out of them with proper power and a little eq boost. They will surprise you with their slam sometimes and I've heard many others say the same. Of course it's ultimately up to each listener's preference but I find they slam remarkably well. Not as well as my Argons of course but you really need some power for those.

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #10,617 of 12,280
Oh, and I forgot. @Mhog55 I am willing to buy used.
If you see a pair of Hyland Audio Jupiter Ones used, jump on them. I'd recommend them new but have no idea what taxes and import duties would end up being on 400GBP from the UK.

Apr 29, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #10,618 of 12,280
I just tried the Grado Hemps and while I love the sound, I absolutely hate the comfort and feel of it. Any good alternatives?

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #10,619 of 12,280
Just got the Grado Hemps. They sound good but not as exciting as I was hoping. The bass is almost there but not quite enough and it just doesn’t have the slam that my ath m50x’s have.

perhaps some burn in time will help with these?

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #10,620 of 12,280
I just tried the Grado Hemps and while I love the sound, I absolutely hate the comfort and feel of it. Any good alternatives?
That's why I would never consider it. I don't like on-ear headphones. It has to be either in-ear or over-ear, for me!

Lots of alternatives, obviously. What are you looking for in terms of sound signature, open vs closed back, budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back