Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 18, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #10,411 of 12,280
The tweaks are so strange, though. Like they're talking about the bass boost but if the 30-50Hz portion (the only part you'll ever hear) isn't even as much of a lift as what they did from 2-4KHz, not to mention pulling the mids out, so the end result is that it's going to sound even sharper. It's such a bizarre alteration.

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #10,413 of 12,280
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #10,415 of 12,280
Sennheiser seems interested in selling off their consumer audio biz.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/16/...elling-consumer-headphones-soundbars-business

They made their bed. Rather than leaning into their professional/audiophile products they decided to throw everything at the Momentum line and got swallowed up by Bose/Sony/Beats. They could have kept working on the 5X0/6X0/7X0/8X0 lines and carved themselves a place in the market a la Beyer but thought they could compete with the electronics giants.

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #10,416 of 12,280
Feb 19, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #10,417 of 12,280
Speaking of Drop, I kept bouncing all over the place between Sivga P-II, HD Zeus, Grado Hemp and others but randomly decided to pull a hail mary on the Beyer DT177X Go since apparently they're a slightly bassier 1770, and they'll be in on Sunday. Really curious to hear how they go.

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #10,418 of 12,280
Okay well, they're here, and they're very very much a Beyer headphone LOL. The bass is heavy as hell but it's not overblown (I'm using the leather pads which will emphasize the low end). For a closed-back they sound bigger than I expected, even if they're obviously not as big and wide as my Philips X3. If you like that V-shaped tuning, these are damn near flawless to me. The bass has the subwoofer effect but the mids do not sound sucked out or anything, it just has that fantastic rumble.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #10,419 of 12,280
Okay well, they're here, and they're very very much a Beyer headphone LOL. The bass is heavy as hell but it's not overblown (I'm using the leather pads which will emphasize the low end). For a closed-back they sound bigger than I expected, even if they're obviously not as big and wide as my Philips X3. If you like that V-shaped tuning, these are damn near flawless to me. The bass has the subwoofer effect but the mids do not sound sucked out or anything, it just has that fantastic rumble.
Cool, I loved my 770 Pro, they were perfect metal cans. Just didn't like the clamping force. A friend bought them off me maybe 7 years ago, and his kids would often borrow them, but they'll probably outlive us all -- you could run those things over with a Jeep and they'd barely be scuffed! I also keep my 1990 Pro for use with guitar amp and recordings. I never understood the Go marketing angle -- not sure what makes them more portable. They don't have a mic either.

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #10,420 of 12,280
Cool, I loved my 770 Pro, they were perfect metal cans. Just didn't like the clamping force. A friend bought them off me maybe 7 years ago, and his kids would often borrow them, but they'll probably outlive us all -- you could run those things over with a Jeep and they'd barely be scuffed! I also keep my 1990 Pro for use with guitar amp and recordings. I never understood the Go marketing angle -- not sure what makes them more portable. They don't have a mic either.

Far as I can tell the whole "Go" thing is just because they're 32ohm instead of 250. Which is nice, it does make it easier to drive, but I definitely do not think of these as "portable" haha.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #10,421 of 12,280
Also I'm guessing the Go eases up on the clamping force. I imagine the pro line has that extra to ensure a solid seal, like tighty whities to the consumer line boxer briefs!

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #10,422 of 12,280
Update. I put those XL perforated Brainwavz pads on.

Ow. No. What. Why does anyone think that sounds good. ALL the impact is lost. It's like turning them into a discount HD800 without the soundstage and airspace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back