Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 22, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #10,097 of 12,271
Any objections before I pull the trigger and order a VC for technical death metal?
[/QUOTE
I don't think so but I can check at night and will tell you later.

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #10,098 of 12,271
My honest 2 cents for engaging metal experience. Things that i've own/owned and can remember how it was with metal.

HD800: Comes too airy and separated for metal, some songs suffer more than others
Hifiman Arya: Same as HD800 but lesser extend, singer can be to far away depending on song.
Fidelio X2: It should be "perfect" for metal on paper, in reality bass bloat and decay makes it sound slow.
HD650: doing fine but i keep cranking volume up until ears are bleeding at 90db,too smooth with too low treble
HE500: better than hd650, still could use more treble but we are doing very well.
DT-1990 pro: On par with HE500 for metal, this dances on edge being too bright and sometimes it slips there, wish vertical soundstage was bigger.

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #10,099 of 12,271
I often say that it's hard to call any headphone "perfect" for metal because we all look for different things, and I think that's a good example of why. To me, the HE500 were far too thin and unengaging. Listening to any kind of thick doom/sludge completely lost the massively heavy atmosphere that those subgenres need.

I'll throw my hat in for the X3 here. Maybe you'll think the bass is too much, and I respect that, but I can't imagine listening to metal without the kick drums punching me in the chest.

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #10,100 of 12,271
Hey all - new the Head-Fi community and to headphones in general. Not new to metal, though. I'm a big fan of death metal (Death, Entombed, Bolt Thrower, Morbid Angel and so on for 'older' stuff... Vastum, Cryptic Shift, Blood Incantation, Undeath, Ulthar, etc. for newer stuff). I dabble in a lot of other genres, as I'm sure most do, but metal gets most of my attention.

Currently using HE-400i (2020 ver.) as my main headphones and I've been really impressed with them thus far. I've been powering them with an FX Audio DAC-X6 combo DAC/AMP and for $65 it's been an impressive little unit (to my beginner ears, anyways). I recently picked up a Modi 3 and have a Magni Heresy delivering today so I'm excited to hear how the Schiit stack does in comparison to the DAC-X6.

I'm eyeing another set of planars as a holiday gift to myself... This thread is a wealth of knowledge, but boy do some of you have expensive taste!! I'm thinking the Sundara may be worthy upgrade from the 400i but I'm really interested in the Audeze cans. Namely the LCD-2Cs and LCD-2 (Shedua rings with fazors). From what I've read, Audeze typically runs a pretty good Black Friday sale on B-stock units. Hoping that goes live this week. I'm not opposed to EQ and it sounds like it's essentially necessary with the LCD sets. What I'm after in my next set of headphones is a fuller, more detailed sound compared to what the 400i offer. I find that even with EQ (using Oratory 1990's AE/OE 2020 settings), the HE-400i just don't have the richness I'm after. They're a little... bland? Some added slam and punch would be nice, too. And please bear with me here as I'm still learning the proper verbiage.

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #10,101 of 12,271
I'm an Audeze fanboy through and through and will ALWAYS recommend anything in the LCD line. Never EQ'd them either. They'll definitely give the low end "oomph" you've been missing.

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #10,102 of 12,271
Hey all - new the Head-Fi community and to headphones in general. Not new to metal, though. I'm a big fan of death metal (Death, Entombed, Bolt Thrower, Morbid Angel and so on for 'older' stuff... Vastum, Cryptic Shift, Blood Incantation, Undeath, Ulthar, etc. for newer stuff). I dabble in a lot of other genres, as I'm sure most do, but metal gets most of my attention.

Currently using HE-400i (2020 ver.) as my main headphones and I've been really impressed with them thus far. I've been powering them with an FX Audio DAC-X6 combo DAC/AMP and for $65 it's been an impressive little unit (to my beginner ears, anyways). I recently picked up a Modi 3 and have a Magni Heresy delivering today so I'm excited to hear how the Schiit stack does in comparison to the DAC-X6.

I'm eyeing another set of planars as a holiday gift to myself... This thread is a wealth of knowledge, but boy do some of you have expensive taste!! I'm thinking the Sundara may be worthy upgrade from the 400i but I'm really interested in the Audeze cans. Namely the LCD-2Cs and LCD-2 (Shedua rings with fazors). From what I've read, Audeze typically runs a pretty good Black Friday sale on B-stock units. Hoping that goes live this week. I'm not opposed to EQ and it sounds like it's essentially necessary with the LCD sets. What I'm after in my next set of headphones is a fuller, more detailed sound compared to what the 400i offer. I find that even with EQ (using Oratory 1990's AE/OE 2020 settings), the HE-400i just don't have the richness I'm after. They're a little... bland? Some added slam and punch would be nice, too. And please bear with me here as I'm still learning the proper verbiage.
The Audeze will definitely be an improvement in that area, but if you're REALLY wanting slam, dynamics typically have more impact in the low-end over planar, thanks to them being a large cup literally pushing air at your ears. I'm not going to steer you away from the Audeze, because they're very good with EQ, but if you're looking for slam, something like a Fostex TH600/x00/900 series/E-MU Teak would be my recommendation.

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #10,103 of 12,271
The Audeze will definitely be an improvement in that area, but if you're REALLY wanting slam, dynamics typically have more impact in the low-end over planar, thanks to them being a large cup literally pushing air at your ears. I'm not going to steer you away from the Audeze, because they're very good with EQ, but if you're looking for slam, something like a Fostex TH600/x00/900 series/E-MU Teak would be my recommendation.

Appreciate the recommendations! Part of me thinks I should wait on the Audeze's and pick up a set of dynamics next so I understand how they compare to planars. I'm by no means a basshead and don't want a headphone that's tonally bass focused, but I feel that the HE-400i are just a bit too thin in the low end, even with with some dB boost in the sub-bass and bass regions. Would the Denon AH-D5/7200 also fall in line with the E-MU Teaks and Fostex headphones you mentioned?

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #10,104 of 12,271
Appreciate the recommendations! Part of me thinks I should wait on the Audeze's and pick up a set of dynamics next so I understand how they compare to planars. I'm by no means a basshead and don't want a headphone that's tonally bass focused, but I feel that the HE-400i are just a bit too thin in the low end, even with with some dB boost in the sub-bass and bass regions. Would the Denon AH-D5/7200 also fall in line with the E-MU Teaks and Fostex headphones you mentioned?
Yes, very much so. Though a lot of people prefer the old 5/7000 to the 5200 or 7200. Also, the E-Mu Teaks, Denon 5000, and Fostex TH600 are all based around the same headphone/drivers. Specifically, the Foster-Electric 448498.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #10,105 of 12,271
Yes, very much so. Though a lot of people prefer the old 5/7000 to the 5200 or 7200. Also, the E-Mu Teaks, Denon 5000, and Fostex TH600 are all based around the same headphone/drivers.
Good to know. Thanks a bunch. I had a feeling that it wasn't just coincidental that they all look so similar design-wise. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I prefer the looks of the E-MU Teaks and the TH610s over the Denon sets.

Looks like Audeze's Black Friday sale is live now and the 2C's have already sold out. Not a big issue for me as I really have my heart set on the LCD-2 fazors and those aren't included in the sale. I'll more than likely hold out for a clean used pair.

In the meantime, back to spinning Of Feather and Bone Sulfuric Disintegration on the 400i's.

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #10,106 of 12,271
I'll once again toss my hat in for the Philips X3 just to give you a taste of what a dynamic does rather than a planar, and Amazon still has them on a ridiculous $200 sale.

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #10,107 of 12,271
So now my TOP 3 metal HP are
1. AB-1266
2. Final D8000
3. ZMF Verite C

Congrats on post #666! \../

I received my VC Ltd Leopardwood in April, and with apologies, I went AWOL on this board as I immersed myself in listening and writing. I'd say it's speaks well if a headphone makes you lose interest in thinking about, talking about, and comparing headphones, because you're lost in music and other creative pursuits inspired by music. I still owe a review and will get something down soon.

Nov 24, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #10,108 of 12,271
Metal is life!! I’m always on the hunt for the best equipment for it. Here’s my current setup. Can you name them? If you have them, how do YOU like them for Metal?

I’m always up for what other people like. Great thread!!

E7C781F2-8DA8-4F7B-89D3-0ABE1F2FBCBD.jpeg

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #10,109 of 12,271
I'm now listen LCD-4, they are great HP for metal too!
Little warm, great body and slam, smooth!
I like them more than RAD-0.

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #10,110 of 12,271
Hearing now
Exodus - Exhibit B
with the Abyss 1266 Phi TC holy crap! :beyersmile:
The Black Album is also amazing great soundstage.
Epitah speed speed speed and TC gives you every plankton detail here.
It makes most headphones sound broken. 1597450347302.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back