Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 26, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #9,541 of 12,279
Monsterzero, thank you for the comments!

X version loses the magic mids. Not recommended.
Well. I suppose it would be difficult to find "non X" version.

3W should be plenty for the Sextetts. What amp is it?
Audio-gd NFB 11.28.

If you decide to go with the Sextetts, you may want to check out my review on my YouTube channel .Not all Sextetts are created equal.
I was always frighten about infinite diversity of these headphones. I guess finally I have to find out which version do I need. :laughing:

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #9,542 of 12,279
Monsterzero, thank you for the comments!

Well. I suppose it would be difficult to find "non X" version.

Audio-gd NFB 11.28.

I was always frighten about infinite diversity of these headphones. I guess finally I have to find out which version do I need. :laughing:
Theres actually two pair of the non-X in the classifieds right now,which is the first time Ive seen that.
Mine and another person has them posted.

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #9,543 of 12,279
Hi guys, I am looking into upgrading my JVC HA S500 to something between 100-150$. I am listening to a bit everything in metal, from symphonic death like Wilderun or septicflesh, death tech like Archspire, death like Gojira, a lot of progressive stuff, generally guitar centric (animals, BTBAM, earthside, the ocean), weird stuff like Kauan, etc.
I am confused which headphones I should go for between dt770 pro 80 (around 130$), M40X, shure srh840 (apparently lots of quality issue), HD58x jubilee (135$ this monday but might not be great for metal), Vmoda M100 (150$ for black friday, not sure its good for metal either), or planars like HE 4XX (quality issue and would need an amp) and HE400i (same quality issue apparently). I am leaning towards the dt770 pro80 or the HD58x for now but honestly I dunno and I couldn't try any of these. What would be the best bang for your buck for these entry level cans? Would you be able to help a headfi noob? Thx!

Nov 29, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #9,544 of 12,279
Hi guys, I am looking into upgrading my JVC HA S500 to something between 100-150$. I am listening to a bit everything in metal, from symphonic death like Wilderun or septicflesh, death tech like Archspire, death like Gojira, a lot of progressive stuff, generally guitar centric (animals, BTBAM, earthside, the ocean), weird stuff like Kauan, etc.
I am confused which headphones I should go for between dt770 pro 80 (around 130$), M40X, shure srh840 (apparently lots of quality issue), HD58x jubilee (135$ this monday but might not be great for metal), Vmoda M100 (150$ for black friday, not sure its good for metal either), or planars like HE 4XX (quality issue and would need an amp) and HE400i (same quality issue apparently). I am leaning towards the dt770 pro80 or the HD58x for now but honestly I dunno and I couldn't try any of these. What would be the best bang for your buck for these entry level cans? Would you be able to help a headfi noob? Thx!

Like closed or open back...??? open back for metal in my book is a waste of time...you will bother all people around you and will loose the essence, privacy in all headphone listening, in my book that is the only reason for headphone listening, otherwise use speakers...I got my sound with the Fostex's, and I listen metal as well, as other genres, but what do I know?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #9,545 of 12,279
Like closed or open back...??? open back for metal in my book is a waste of time...you will bother all people around you and will loose the essence, privacy in all headphone listening, in my book that is the only reason for headphone listening, otherwise use speakers...I got my sound with the Fostex's, and I listen metal as well, as other genres, but what do I know?

I guess you are right, I suppose closed back could be the best in my case. Any recommendations in the ones I listed?

Nov 30, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #9,546 of 12,279
In your list i'll go for he4xx it has a ridiculus price for amping it you can have a good result woth a jds atom or portable fiio a5 spending few money...

I think any other headphone is inferior on metal at that price tag...

Nov 30, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #9,547 of 12,279
I think any other headphone is inferior on metal at that price tag...

I tend to agree with this. None of the headphones in this price range really do metal fantastic. I would go with a Grado before the others listed.

A Sextett is the lone exception here though. Its fantastic for all guitar based music,but again, you need a very powerful amp.

Nov 30, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #9,548 of 12,279
I tend to agree with this. None of the headphones in this price range really do metal fantastic. I would go with a Grado before the others listed.

Ok, thank you guys for your help. So basically a HE4xx + amp or a Grado (which one?) at this price range. If I push my budget to 200$ to get something like a Meze99 Noir, would that give me a lot more bang for buck?

Nov 30, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #9,549 of 12,279
Ok, thank you guys for your help. So basically a HE4xx + amp or a Grado (which one?) at this price range. If I push my budget to 200$ to get something like a Meze99 Noir, would that give me a lot more bang for buck?
To be clear,I do not like Grados,mostly due to comfort or a lack thereof. The mids on Grados tend to bring guitars upfront,which is a sound I like for metal,but I cant wear Grados for more than 45 minutes before they hurt my ears.
I have not heard the Meze,so I cant comment one way or the other. I have read that they have +bass,and have a slight warm signature,but dont quote me on that. I know a few members in this thread like them. Perhaps someone else can advise on them better than I.

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #9,550 of 12,279
Hi guys. I'm looking for a headphone for doom/death/black metal with a budget up to 600 euros in Europe. I'm OK with open headphones (will mainly use them at home), and I have a pair of wireless Sennheiser PXC550 which I don't quite like them for this type of metal music. Sound a bit lifeless to me.
Could you recommend a headphone? Perhaps a Grado (RS2e?), or Hifiman, Audeze, Vmoda...? My amp/DAC is a portable meridian explorer, but I could be convinced to buy something for 100-200 bucks if the headphones come cheaper. Much obliged for your replies.

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #9,551 of 12,279
Grado... i got grado 80 ... sincerly... i don't like them ... they are unconfortable and hights are piercing ... not good for metal in my opinion...

To better 4xx in my opinion you got to go to sundara... that has similar sound but better in almost all parameters...

Hifiman made really a sound quality/price monster ...

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #9,552 of 12,279
Hi guys. I'm looking for a headphone for doom/death/black metal with a budget up to 600 euros in Europe. I'm OK with open headphones (will mainly use them at home), and I have a pair of wireless Sennheiser PXC550 which I don't quite like them for this type of metal music. Sound a bit lifeless to me.
Could you recommend a headphone? Perhaps a Grado (RS2e?), or Hifiman, Audeze, Vmoda...? My amp/DAC is a portable meridian explorer, but I could be convinced to buy something for 100-200 bucks if the headphones come cheaper. Much obliged for your replies.

For that genere if you want potentially the best headphone or one of the best around try to find a used lcd2 rev2 , the pre fazor one... they are black metal really top tier i paid my 500euros used ...

But usually require a good amp ... but yeh... that is the black metal champion for me ... i had also susvara 2 zmf ... but when music get really dark ... the pre fazor lcd2 is the encarnation of evil

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #9,553 of 12,279
Hi, I’m looking for a new pair of IEM with not so high sensitivity and not so low impedance that will pair good with the high output power of my Hiby R6 Pro without having hissing. I listen mainly old Heavy Metal (Black Sabbath, Dio, Saxon, Ozzy Osbourne), Trash Metal (Metallica and Slayer) and Death Metal (Death) but also some Hard Rock (Deep Purple, Doors). I don’t like a very bassy sound but I like to hear clearly the double bass drum pedal and a realistic and powerful guitar sound.
My budget is about 500-600$ also from used products!

Could anyone help me with my choice please?
Thanks in advance to all!

Dec 7, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #9,554 of 12,279
Just keep your eyes on fleabay for the Sextett. I just picked up a pair of MP this week for cheap. they need a bit of TLC but sound great. (I had a pair a couple of years ago but I sold them due to not having an amp with enough power.)

k1kdG9N.jpg

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #9,555 of 12,279
Just keep your eyes on fleabay for the Sextett. I just picked up a pair of MP this week for cheap. they need a bit of TLC but sound great. (I had a pair a couple of years ago but I sold them due to not having an amp with enough power.)

k1kdG9N.jpg
Yep! Ive come across quite a few auctions like this one where the seller doesnt realize what he/she is selling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back