Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Nov 2, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #9,496 of 12,279
Could you elaborate on what makes the Aivas good for metal? I'm on the fence about them as I heard the bass is not very prominent and doesn't extend very well into the sub bass, do you have a different experience?
sometimes guitars on the Atticus get a little soft sounding.
this also happens on the E-Mu but a little less, the E-Mus can get a little smeary sounding when a song is super busy. they have a lot of punch in the bass though.
the Aivas are super fast and have more presence with the guitars. bass is fine, not too much but articulate. not great sub-bass though if thats your thing.

i find that i tend to focus on the guitar a lot and the Aivas have a better presentation to me.

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #9,497 of 12,279
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #9,498 of 12,279
Stunning deal that! I nearly pulled the trigger even though I already have an HE-6, can't dip into my Abyss savings tho (like a Bon Jovi lyric, I'm half way there).

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #9,499 of 12,279
Ya that's what I was struggling with. I just know that my HE6 has been my best headphone for metal so far, and the se looks a bit more comfortable. LCD2.2 was great too, but I couldn't wear it for more than 40 minutes. That's been my concern about the Abyss, as many users say they can't last more than an hour. I think the problem is that it's meant not to clamp at all on ears, so all the weight is balanced on the top of your head. At 640 grams, they're nearly the heaviest (Kennerton Odin is actually 670). I've heard the Abyss and they live up to the hype, but what's the point if I have to switch back to something lighter after such a short amount of time? I'm just thinking out loud, I still could possibly try it if I find a CC deal for $2,400 like one that was sold a while ago. The price drop must be due in part to the newer TC which, being fairly new, has not been sold for less than $4,400 that I've seen.

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #9,500 of 12,279
I've never had a problem with heavy cans, so I'm not bothered by that, but can totally see how that's a legitimate problem to some.

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #9,501 of 12,279
I just caught up on comments and reviews on the RAD-0, and their weight is an issue too, at 650 grams.

Has anyone tried messing with a light Magnesium alloy yet, or is it just too new?
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/breakthrough-21-century-worlds-strongest-lightest-metal-sahit-muja/

It seems like a light metal combined with a strong elastic material like synthetic silk for the support band would make for ideal comfort, while also making big-ass drivers that could compete with the Abyss.
https://www.cnet.com/news/stronger-...stic-synthetic-silk-could-transform-clothing/

That would be an excellent next step challenge for a ZMF/RAD/Audeze/Dan Clark Audio. Enough with the rare woods and leathers/lambskins/baby otter skins..

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #9,502 of 12,279
I just caught up on comments and reviews on the RAD-0, and their weight is an issue too, at 650 grams.

Has anyone tried messing with a light Magnesium alloy yet, or is it just too new?
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/breakthrough-21-century-worlds-strongest-lightest-metal-sahit-muja/

It seems like a light metal combined with a strong elastic material like synthetic silk for the support band would make for ideal comfort, while also making big-ass drivers that could compete with the Abyss.
https://www.cnet.com/news/stronger-...stic-synthetic-silk-could-transform-clothing/

That would be an excellent next step challenge for a ZMF/RAD/Audeze/Dan Clark Audio. Enough with the rare woods and leathers/lambskins/baby otter skins..
ZMF already offers a Magnesium chassis on their headphones.
All the ZMFs Ive owned have the regular chassis and I have zero issue with the weight or comfort.

Nov 8, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #9,503 of 12,279
ZMF already offers a Magnesium chassis on their headphones.
All the ZMFs Ive owned have the regular chassis and I have zero issue with the weight or comfort.

Yeah but I'm not into wood cups for a variety of reasons including environmental concerns. Also I'd like to see something compete with the Abyss.

Nov 8, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #9,504 of 12,279
Yeah but I'm not into wood cups for a variety of reasons including environmental concerns. Also I'd like to see something compete with the Abyss.
Yeah I hear ya. The Verite Closed Desert Ironwood can only be harvested from fallen trees,but I think theyre sold out. Zach was having a hard time sourcing more of that wood type.

For me,the VC is end game. It does everything I want a TOTL headphone to do,and sounds phenomenal with all genres,metal included.

Nov 8, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #9,505 of 12,279
Yeah I hear ya. The Verite Closed Desert Ironwood can only be harvested from fallen trees,but I think theyre sold out. Zach was having a hard time sourcing more of that wood type.

For me,the VC is end game. It does everything I want a TOTL headphone to do,and sounds phenomenal with all genres,metal included.

I'm right there with you. I'm really loving the VC.

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #9,507 of 12,279
Do you all have needs for a closed as opposed to open? Would you use the Verite open?
I have no need for a closed back,and typically prefer open backs,but the VC IMO is superior to the VO....Its just so good. :)

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #9,508 of 12,279
I think the Verite closed(VC) is fantastic with every genre ive thrown at it. Its quick and snappy sounding. Fantastic tonailty,attack,slam,sub bass,you name it! Mids seem to be more intimate vs. VO.

For my tastes the VO sounds best with a pad/tube roll that gives it a more spacious 3D sound,which IMO doesnt necessarily lend itself to metal.

Ya, I was catching up and saw this from you a while back. Understood.

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #9,509 of 12,279
Any thoughts on Sundara VS LCD-1?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back