Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 10, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #9,376 of 12,271
Aug 10, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #9,378 of 12,271
Hey guys, looking for a mid tier DAP. fIIo M11 is getting a lot of good reviews. Any thoughts on on this DAP for rock and metal?

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #9,380 of 12,271
r DX150 (AMP7).

Thanks George. I'm out of the Headfi loop these days and I just wanted to know from a rock/metal perspective if the hype was legit. Apprec!

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #9,382 of 12,271
Very cool. That's what I wanted to know. I listen to all genres and types of music these days, but every once in a while, there'll be a hot product that doesn't translate well into "heavy music' which is still my most played kind of music. Just what I wanted to confirm. Thanks man.

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #9,383 of 12,271
Very cool. That's what I wanted to know. I listen to all genres and types of music these days, but every once in a while, there'll be a hot product that doesn't translate well into "heavy music' which is still my most played kind of music. Just what I wanted to confirm. Thanks man.

I’d definitely go for the Fiio M11. It is phenomenal.

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #9,384 of 12,271
Hi,
I hear music practically all day, mostly heavy metal (meshuggah, gojira, periphery, etc ) and in second place classical music (a lot of piano and opera). I am searching for an upgrade to my Hd650+apogee groove combo, I find the 650s to be too veiled and smooth with some recordings (referring to the velocity of response I would like something snappier) and I would want a more open soundstage (not exaggerated) with better freq response over the 6khz.

I have been searching quite a while and I am curious about the LCD-X, LCD2classical, Hifiman Arya, Focal clears and finally Hd800s, since the 800s are on discount (about 1100usd) where I live. I also have the apogee one for recording and it would be great if the other headphone could be drive fine with either of one apogees (I think the groove is better for high impedance and one for low, as Kenrockwell reviewed them).

Maybe there isn't a headphone for both metal and classical music, since I think maybe opera would sound great on the 800s and metal in the Arya, in that case I would like to search for a complementary headphone for the Hd650.

Thanks and regards!!!

Aug 28, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #9,385 of 12,271
Hi,
I hear music practically all day, mostly heavy metal (meshuggah, gojira, periphery, etc ) and in second place classical music (a lot of piano and opera). I am searching for an upgrade to my Hd650+apogee groove combo, I find the 650s to be too veiled and smooth with some recordings (referring to the velocity of response I would like something snappier) and I would want a more open soundstage (not exaggerated) with better freq response over the 6khz.

I have been searching quite a while and I am curious about the LCD-X, LCD2classical, Hifiman Arya, Focal clears and finally Hd800s, since the 800s are on discount (about 1100usd) where I live. I also have the apogee one for recording and it would be great if the other headphone could be drive fine with either of one apogees (I think the groove is better for high impedance and one for low, as Kenrockwell reviewed them).

Maybe there isn't a headphone for both metal and classical music, since I think maybe opera would sound great on the 800s and metal in the Arya, in that case I would like to search for a complementary headphone for the Hd650.

Thanks and regards!!!

Audeze lcd2c is a great headphone .. Another one that I love Is sundara that even if is relatively cheap it has a great sound

Never eard the Arya but I eard the he1000 v1 and v2 I like them much more than the 800s...but I would like to prefer the he6... But requires a powerful amp...

Another interesting and much easier to drive solution is zmf Auteur or aeolus... I got both but I prefer auteur that is more correct and balanced..

Auteur with an otl amp is something killer combo to get better you have to go on susvara in my opinion...

Auteur and he6 I think that are as good on classical as they are on heavy metal...

Senny 800 are awful on metal... Also 650 aren't so good on metal...

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #9,386 of 12,271
Auteur and he6 I think that are as good on classical as they are on heavy metal...

Auteur sounds good with everything. HE6 needs a system built around it. Not really a headphone I'd recommend to someone who has 2 total posts.

Senny 800 are awful on metal... Also 650 aren't so good on metal...

Never owned the HD800,but the 650 isnt bad for slower,more traditional metal. I would think that its narrow staging might not lend itself to classical though.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #9,387 of 12,271
I’m just curious if there are any more headphones that have entered the group of the top headphones of the graph yet. Last time I checked the best headphones are th900, kennerton Odin, he6, and abyss has anymore headphones reached that status or are these still above the rest?

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #9,388 of 12,271
Auteur sounds good with everything. HE6 needs a system built around it. Not really a headphone I'd recommend to someone who has 2 total posts.

Never owned the HD800,but the 650 isnt bad for slower,more traditional metal. I would think that its narrow staging might not lend itself to classical though.
Yes he6 requires a specific amp that mat be also relatively cheap using a small speaker amp... Like a used musical fidelity A1... Several people enjoyed it

But yes auteur with otl is a top level combo and for metal may I like it a little more than he6... But he6 with thresh metal in my opinion remains the undisputed chemoion, I also got the susvara

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #9,389 of 12,271
I’m just curious if there are any more headphones that have entered the group of the top headphones of the graph yet. Last time I checked the best headphones are th900, kennerton Odin, he6, and abyss has anymore headphones reached that status or are these still above the rest?
The list is quite old...

Absolutely auteur aeolus and susvara are top tier headphones...

Also the Mr speakers aeon open for some genere is fantastic

Aug 31, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #9,390 of 12,271
Yes he6 requires a specific amp that mat be also relatively cheap using a small speaker amp... Like a used musical fidelity A1... Several people enjoyed it
Would also need a custom speaker tap cable made as well. Thats a lot of stuff for a headphone that has dodgy quality control and strident treble. I had two drivers fail on me within nine months on a brand new pair.

Auteur is very good,as is Aeolus. I also really liked the the Stellia and I was rocking out last night on the new Verite closed. Big $ headphones,but damn good sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back