Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 11, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #9,226 of 12,280
I liked them best with the Auteur on my OTL. The Atticus can help out some brighter production, but these were all of the more muddy variety. Given that you were looking for a little extra bass boost and isolation, I'd probably be inclined to recommend and Eikon with an OTL and a warm tube roll - I'd stick mostly to Mullard/Cossor, Amperex and RCA tubes.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I guess I'll save up for the Eikon now. I know the Auteur has the same driver as the Eikon, but how similar is the Eikon to it?

Apr 11, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #9,227 of 12,280
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I guess I'll save up for the Eikon now. I know the Auteur has the same driver as the Eikon, but how similar is the Eikon to it?

Auteur has extra benefits of being open. Signature is a bit more linear. Eikon has an extra bit of sub bass.

Apr 11, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #9,228 of 12,280
Use Out of Your Head until the Realiser comes out xD Loudspeaker listening over headphones, just a subwoofer or tactile transducer system to your seat. Its incredible how well good hifi systems render the binaural mix of loudspeakers measured by the Realiser A8.

How well OOYH works is heavily dependent on the geometry of one’s ear. People tend to love it or hate it, just FYI. It’s not a cure-all recommendation that works across the board. I’m glad it works for you though.

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #9,229 of 12,280
How well OOYH works is heavily dependent on the geometry of one’s ear. People tend to love it or hate it, just FYI. It’s not a cure-all recommendation that works across the board. I’m glad it works for you though.

I think the bigger part that influences peoples opinion of the program is the headphones response, the headphones responsiveness, and the resolution of the dac/amp setup. After applying inverse eq curves to headphones and using a very capable setup, all the presets work and have incredible fidelity, with most of them having used different heads for the measurements. Another example would be the Mobius, which uses modeled hrtf convolution(waves nx) with 2 adjustable parameters for head size, this is hardly a one size fits all approach, but the combination of the planar magnetic transducers, tuning directly to waves nx, and self power render a binaural mix with excellent fidelity.

When using OOYH, very few people equalize the headphones to have a generally flat uncompensated response, and alot initially try the program using budget dynamics and pc motherboard sound outputs. Without the eq the binaural rendering will sound harsh in the 2-6khz region and budget dynamic drivers and lesser dac/amps will poorly render the binaural mix.

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #9,230 of 12,280
A couple examples
1-s2.0-S0003682X15001188-gr9.jpg
The-right-ears-of-seven-subjects-together-with-their-associated-head-related-transfer.jpg
Heres the HRTF of several different ears, and you can see the differences below 5khz are typically less than 5db. So while yes, having the realiser and having personal measurements or a personal measurement to use to adjust to someone elses measurements, is going to be more or less perfect, the effects of using someone elses prir isnt going to be as noticable as using a pair of headphones unequalized that follow the typical harman curve with a 10-15db boost over 2khz. Or using hesdphones drivers with heavy ringing/resonance, slower response, and systems that are riddled with noise and inadequate analog outputs, and/or poor timing on the digital side.

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #9,231 of 12,280
What headphones for Boban?

boban.jpg

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #9,232 of 12,280
I keep my Mobius in 2ch and will likely never use the additional features that come with it. lol. That's just me though. If I wanted to feel like I was moving in the mix, I'd just physically move around the room with my speakers obviously anchored in a static position. *shrug* The folks that love it, all the more power to them though.

I think it would just drive my OCD nuts trying to stay centered (which is ironically a trigger of mine for say being seated or at my desk). Gotta be dead center or I feel "off". Same for posture/ergonomics. Curse the viewing angles of old, crap TN panels and office chairs without lumbar support. It's engrained in my psyche. lol.

I will say, the Mobius bothers me absolutely none. Same for the AFC, Ether, LCD-4, and HE-560/1000. Something like the AKG Q701/K712 were nightmares because of gaps (no tight seal around the ears). Well, that and the bumpy headband. lol. The ZMF headphones are lovely except for the sliders and headband imo/ime. Asymmetry is almost worse than actual physical discomfort (to my brain). Other headphone models with rather shallow earpads where your ears touch [the driver] can be irritating or painful depending too. You would think weight would be an issue, but surprisingly not if it's distributed well.

My bad for the rambling. I honestly think that most of the hardcore audiophiles are at least borderline diagnosable. Not that it's a bad thing — merely an observation.

You can find the perfect system, be able to afford it, own it, and then run into the issue where you can't even sit still or stand to wear the pair in question for even half an hour. The perfect/ideal system allows you to forget that you're even wearing headphones imo. Almost like glasses. If they're unobtrusive and you can go through the day without consciously remembering that you're wearing a pair, they must be that much better. Too tight, loose, uneven, narrow, tall, etc. all distracting and annoying you periodically throughout the whole period of time where you're wearing them.

I had a really nice, affordable 7.1 system, but I had the worst couch of all time. Didn't matter how enjoyable the system was because my body felt like I'd been in a car accident after only 45 minutes of being seated. Funny how that works. Skimp on one aspect of the total package/experience and everything suffers for it — yourself included.

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #9,234 of 12,280
Hi Guys,

What are the most comfortable headphones in $600-$1000 range for metal? Plugged directly into phone.. I'm looking for something to use in bed before sleeping. Closed back or iems should do. Some options I have found:
Aeon Flow Closed
Beyerdynamic T5p Second Gen
Campfire Andromeda

I may be a little all over the place. Need some guidance :D

Apr 13, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #9,235 of 12,280
Hi Guys,

What are the most comfortable headphones in $600-$1000 range for metal? Plugged directly into phone.. I'm looking for something to use in bed before sleeping. Closed back or iems should do. Some options I have found:
Aeon Flow Closed
Campfire Andromeda

product-image-113900966.jpg
yw

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #9,236 of 12,280
Driven by phone... Denon d7200 very easy to drive.

Beyer is horrible with metal, aeon requires a good amp. Don't know campfire.

Hi Guys,

Aeon Flow Closed
Campfire Andromeda

Apr 13, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #9,238 of 12,280
Hi Guys,

Aeon Flow Closed
Campfire Andromeda

Final’s Sonorous VI sit at the bottom of your price bracket and will outperform most headphones at the top of it and beyond, especially for metal. Their very low impedance lets them work with any source. Changing the stock pads to C-pads (those of the most expensive in the Sonorous line) is a tiny investment that brings them from ear torturers to blissfully comfortable.

But for bed nothing will beat iems, as gravity will turn any large headphones into an awkward mass of sliding leather. And in that use case I have another suggestion at the bottom of the price bracket that is ridiculously good value, namely the IMR R1, now updated to R1 Zenith. Simply the most impactful pair of iems I have ever heard, with huge, slammy bass, crunchy mids and an abundance of detail all round. Plus a filter system that lets you tailor the sound towards airy treble or sirupy warmth at will.

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #9,239 of 12,280
Would audeze lcd 2 classic be decent with cayin n8 for metal? I really want some open backs so that I can still hear my wife.

Apr 14, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #9,240 of 12,280
Final’s Sonorous VI sit at the bottom of your price bracket and will outperform most headphones at the top of it and beyond, especially for metal. Their very low impedance lets them work with any source. Changing the stock pads to C-pads (those of the most expensive in the Sonorous line) is a tiny investment that brings them from ear torturers to blissfully comfortable.

But for bed nothing will beat iems, as gravity will turn any large headphones into an awkward mass of sliding leather. And in that use case I have another suggestion at the bottom of the price bracket that is ridiculously good value, namely the IMR R1, now updated to R1 Zenith. Simply the most impactful pair of iems I have ever heard, with huge, slammy bass, crunchy mids and an abundance of detail all round. Plus a filter system that lets you tailor the sound towards airy treble or sirupy warmth at will.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely more inclined towards iems. How is R1 Zenith comfort wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back