Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 3, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #9,196 of 12,279
Hi Hansotek,

Thank you for your input. Would you say that the Atticus would be able to keep up with the albums I've mentioned if it's paired up with a GOTL or the CSP3? I just don't want it to have a warm mushy bloated sound. As you probably know some metal albums have sufficient bass, don't have enough or have too much bass bleed depending on the mastering.

I’ll do some listening with the tracks you mentioned.

Apr 4, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #9,197 of 12,279
Grado for metal... I didn't like them at all for metal... In my opinion best cheap option in he4xx or also may be good the senny 58x... A good option also senny hd25...

I've managed to read through about 100 pages and it seems like there's a lot of controversy over the correct type of headphone for metal. It seems that HiFiMan 4xx and Grado's come up a lot. My budget is sub $200. It looks like I could get Hifiman 4xx, Senn 6xx, Akg 7xx from massdrop for under $200. I'm seeing grado 80's a lot and 225's.

If someone could direct me towards what headphone would best suit the music style I enjoy I'd appreciate it.

I mostly listen to death metal and I'm not super concerned about the "impact" or bass everyone talks about. Origin and Krisiun with a lot of bass seems like it would sound terrible. I currently have a pair of Grado 60e's and Sennheiser 280's. I mostly listen to metal for guitar. I've found with the Sennheiser's I have difficulty picking apart the instruments. A great example of an album I find the Grado's work well with is Effigy of the Forgotten, you can hear all the individual palm mutes, all the filigree and fillers that they throw in. I can actually make out bass guitar lines with these headphones. Most of the bands I listen to fall under the technical/brutal death metal genres or slam.

A list of bands for reference are
Cryptopsy, Archspire, Nile, Gorguts, Suffocation, Impaled, Exhumed, Abysmal Dawn, Psycroptic, Immolation, Malevolent Creation, Brain Drill, Origin, Dying Fetus, Hate Eternal, Aborted, Revocation, Rings Of Saturn, Cephalic Carnage, Cattle Decapitation, Ulcerate, Spawn of Possession, Visceral Bleeding, Beyond Creation, Obscura, Vital Remains, Nocturnus

If I'm not listening to death metal it's generally Blues, Jazz, Classical, or some other type of metal/hardcore in the vein of Dillinger Escape Plan, Beneath the massacre, ISIS, Rosetta, Neurosis, Sick of it all, MadBall, Cromags, Lamb of God, or some grindcore.

Since Christian Donaldson started The Grid up in Canada I've seen a huge uptick in the quality and mixing of recordings, at least for Canadian metal bands, but it feels like a lot of older death metal albums didn't get mixed/recorded very well... old guitars sound paper thing

Apr 4, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #9,199 of 12,279
I agree with He 4XX / Sundara, those really work well with Metal
Sundara is even better than the 400i or 4xx... For me. The best sounding cans under 500 euros

4xx are simply the best sound quality on price ratio... In my opinion obviously

Apr 4, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #9,200 of 12,279
I love my auteur... I'm waiting my neo. Otl amp, estro armonico handmade here in Italy with 1.75w class A on 300ohms...

It is a great step up from. My vio v281...

Auteur plus otl is a amazing combo ... And I have also. The susvara in my home

Also hoping that soon the aeolus will arrive.. There is a long waiting list.

IMO, a headphone doesn’t have to be the last word in speed for metal. It just has to be natural. I find the Auteur to be a perfect pace for metal, personally. So much so that I pretty much stopped listening to the Abyss once I got it, and I tend to listen to stuff that’s pretty fast.

The Atticus’s performance for metal is more dependent on amping than anything. The mid bass quantity varies depending on the amp’s damping factor. I actually think it’s awesome with metal on the GOTL, which is probably around 50 ohms. Same with the 60 ohm CSP3. I feel a lot of solid states make it a little too midbassy, which can slow down the feel of the decay. To each their own, of course.

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #9,202 of 12,279
Hi! I mostly listen to metal music (Pantera, Gojira, A perfect Circle, Slipknot), but also Epic(trailer) music like Two steps from Hell, Thomas Bergersen etc. Besides that some casual gaming. I'm close to ordering the Sennheiser HD599, but also consider Beyerdynamics DT990, AKG Q701 and Audio Technica MSR7. My list of candidates is longer, but I'm getting dizzy after reading pro's and con's the last few days.
I'm no audiophile and I guess I want my sound to be fun with good quality.

Any of you guys have a recommendation?

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #9,203 of 12,279
Hi! I mostly listen to metal music (Pantera, Gojira, A perfect Circle, Slipknot), but also Epic(trailer) music like Two steps from Hell, Thomas Bergersen etc. Besides that some casual gaming. I'm close to ordering the Sennheiser HD599, but also consider Beyerdynamics DT990, AKG Q701 and Audio Technica MSR7. My list of candidates is longer, but I'm getting dizzy after reading pro's and con's the last few days.

The Sennheisers are very smooth and relaxing. The Beyers have a very lively sound. The AKGs have impact. The MSR7s are pretty smooth and detailed but a little thin sounding.

Consider whether you want an open or closed headphone, open headphones often have a fuller larger image, closed have isolation and low sound leakage. Then consider comfort, do you like pleather/leather or velour pads, the latter being breathable. Beyers clamp down on your head like a vice. The AKGs are huge. The Sennheisers are comfortable.

As often suggested the Hifiman HE400i is a good option in that price range as well.

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #9,204 of 12,279
Does anyone have experience with the Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones WH1000XM3? I got them for the airplane down to Cabo. I can say they aren't bad and the noise cancelling is pretty good.
I use them almost every day. I don't find their sound that good, but I think it is unfair to compare them to normal headphones as they are expensive because of the noise cancelling. Compared to the ANC headphones of other brands, I found them to have the best sound.

Two years ago I tried the Audio Technica and Beyerdynamic plus a lot more and the ones I kept as I found to be the most enjoyable by far were the Meze 99 Classics. Most of the other headphones were incredible for classic rock (Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin...) but simply ok when I went to "classic" metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden) and plain, boring the darker I went (Emperor, Opeth, Dark Tranquillity), the Meze being the only one that turned the music more enjoyable.

I'm enjoying the Hifiman HE-4XX, but still prefer the Meze over them. I see that you are pondering both Closed and Open headphones, I would suggest knowing which kind fits you better before buying ones.

Apr 5, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #9,205 of 12,279
I use them almost every day. I don't find their sound that good, but I think it is unfair to compare them to normal headphones as they are expensive because of the noise cancelling. Compared to the ANC headphones of other brands, I found them to have the best sound.

Two years ago I tried the Audio Technica and Beyerdynamic plus a lot more and the ones I kept as I found to be the most enjoyable by far were the Meze 99 Classics. Most of the other headphones were incredible for classic rock (Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin...) but simply ok when I went to "classic" metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden) and plain, boring the darker I went (Emperor, Opeth, Dark Tranquillity), the Meze being the only one that turned the music more enjoyable.

I'm enjoying the Hifiman HE-4XX, but still prefer the Meze over them. I see that you are pondering both Closed and Open headphones, I would suggest knowing which kind fits you better before buying ones.

The Meze 99 Classics sound super interesting, but unfortunately aren't for sale here in Norway. Checked some reviews and they actually seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Probably have to sell both the house and the dog to finance importing them though. Same goes for the Hifiman HE-400i, not for sale. However I can buy used ones for approx 230usd, but not sure if that makes them the best option.
Regarding closed or open either works fine as I'll mostly be hiding down in my mancave using them.

Apr 5, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #9,206 of 12,279
The Meze 99 Classics sound super interesting, but unfortunately aren't for sale here in Norway. Checked some reviews and they actually seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Probably have to sell both the house and the dog to finance importing them though. Same goes for the Hifiman HE-400i, not for sale. However I can buy used ones for approx 230usd, but not sure if that makes them the best option.
Regarding closed or open either works fine as I'll mostly be hiding down in my mancave using them.
You can get them on Amazon UK, IT, ES or DE. You'll pay the shipping (5-10€) but no customs.

Apr 5, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #9,207 of 12,279
Most importantly don’t sell your dog!

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #9,208 of 12,279
I've been listening to a lot of Turnstile and Beartooth (hardcore punk/melodic hardcore) lately; absolutely no complaints from the modest Mobius. Does just enough right not to be grasping for straws or go down the rabbit hole again.

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #9,209 of 12,279
I've been listening to a lot of Turnstile and Beartooth (hardcore punk/melodic hardcore) lately; absolutely no complaints from the modest Mobius. Does just enough right not to be grasping for straws or go down the rabbit hole again.

Beautiful dog in your avatar. What breed?

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #9,210 of 12,279
Beautiful dog in your avatar. What breed?
Not to get off-topic... hah.
Yuki is a Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie). Not quite four years old yet. She has a bi-color black/white "blue merle" coat of fur and two different color eyes (blue/brown). Don't let her innocent looks deceive you, she is pure evil.
FB_IMG_1550013310721.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back