Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #8,941 of 12,280
One of my favorite headphones that I have owned for metal/rock has been Grado RS2's (that's right RS2, not RS1). I also really enjoyed metal on my HiFiMAN HE500, they do drums, percussion, and midbass exceptionally well. I do also enjoy using Focal Elear's for metal and heavy guitar tracks, but my wife tends to complain as they bleed out sound like no other. I did get a chance to demo some of ZMF's offerings, and to my ears, it didn't do it for me for particular genre's, but that could have been a source, DAC or amp mismatch as well. I haven't a close-backed goto metal headphone yet, but perhaps I will do some more searching around this thread.

What kind of metal do you listen to?

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #8,942 of 12,280
What kind of metal do you listen to?
Here's a short list of metal, progressive, and rock bands. I tend to have a somewhat wide range in these genres.

1. Tool
2. Ruins
3. Pink Floyd
4. Dream Theater
5. Rush
6. Megadeth
7. Prong
8. Genesis
9. Metallica (old school)
10. Opeth

There are more bands in my collection but these were the first 10 that came to mind.

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #8,943 of 12,280
One of my favorite headphones that I have owned for metal/rock has been Grado RS2

Check out a pair of AKG K240 Sextetts. They do what Grados do,but better w/o all the peakiness,and dont leak much at all. Only caveat is you need a beefy amp for them.

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #8,944 of 12,280
Hey guys I know this thread is for HPs but can any of you recommend some earbuds or IEMs that are good for BM (i.e. tolerant to rough production but not by burying the treble)? Needs to not be noise cancelling. Budget is flexible.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #8,945 of 12,280
Hey guys I know this thread is for HPs but can any of you recommend some earbuds or IEMs that are good for BM (i.e. tolerant to rough production but not by burying the treble)? Needs to not be noise cancelling. Budget is flexible.

There's LOTS. Budget PLS

Also, No noice cancelling, better isolation, but no noise cancelling

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #8,946 of 12,280
There's LOTS. Budget PLS

Also, No noice cancelling, better isolation, but no noise cancelling
Ok I'd say $200-300 though I can go over if there is a big bump in quality.

Are saying almost all of them have some degree of noise isolation? This is for the workplace so ideally I want something that blocks out sound as little as possible so I can hear my colleagues.

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #8,948 of 12,280
Anyone messed with may pairs of wireless over-ears here? I listen to a lot of music at work, and wireless is just the easiest for the amount I have to move around.

I listen to a lot of "barely-metal" type of stuff (ZZ Top, Cactus, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, QotSA, Uncle Acid), stoner (Corrosion of Conformity, Kyuss, Monster Magnet, Fu Manchu, King Buffalo), and also doom (Electric Wizard, The Obsessed, Sleep, Bongripper) and lots of stuff in-between.

Looking for something that'll be comfortable for long sessions throughout the work day, and I'd like to keep it $500 and under if possible, but that's not a hard limit.

I've got the Sony WH-1000X's right now, and they're alright, but I'd like more "bite" for the fuzz-laden stuff I listen to. If only the 99 Neo's came in a wireless model...

Thanks in advance!

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #8,949 of 12,280
Anyone messed with may pairs of wireless over-ears here? I listen to a lot of music at work, and wireless is just the easiest for the amount I have to move around.

I listen to a lot of "barely-metal" type of stuff (ZZ Top, Cactus, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, QotSA, Uncle Acid), stoner (Corrosion of Conformity, Kyuss, Monster Magnet, Fu Manchu, King Buffalo), and also doom (Electric Wizard, The Obsessed, Sleep, Bongripper) and lots of stuff in-between.

Looking for something that'll be comfortable for long sessions throughout the work day, and I'd like to keep it $500 and under if possible, but that's not a hard limit.

I've got the Sony WH-1000X's right now, and they're alright, but I'd like more "bite" for the fuzz-laden stuff I listen to. If only the 99 Neo's came in a wireless model...

Thanks in advance!

The PSB M4U8 has a nice signature for that stuff. The NAD HP70 is also pretty similar - mostly just different styling between the two.

Also, the BlueWave Get will make any headphone wireless. So you could get that and a very short cable for the 99 Neo. Or use any other headphone you wanted with it.

Oct 22, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #8,950 of 12,280
The PSB M4U8 has a nice signature for that stuff. The NAD HP70 is also pretty similar - mostly just different styling between the two.

Also, the BlueWave Get will make any headphone wireless. So you could get that and a very short cable for the 99 Neo. Or use any other headphone you wanted with it.

Perfect, thanks! I'll probably end up with the PSB. I like the NAD better looks-wise, but from what I've read I think the PSB will be a smidge more comfortable.

Also, I picked up a pair of Echobox Ti-22bt's a little while back, which I believe you recommended, and I'm loving them, so thanks for that @Hansotek!

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #8,952 of 12,280
Perfect, thanks! I'll probably end up with the PSB. I like the NAD better looks-wise, but from what I've read I think the PSB will be a smidge more comfortable.

Also, I picked up a pair of Echobox Ti-22bt's a little while back, which I believe you recommended, and I'm loving them, so thanks for that @Hansotek!

Nice! Those are awesome for the price!

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #8,953 of 12,280
@Hansotek, how much do you listen with your Abyss? Does the weight become an issue after a certain amount of time?

Not as much as I should. Yes, the weight and somewhat awkward fit become an issue over time. The newer Phi and CC are significantly lighter.

Oct 22, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #8,954 of 12,280
Yeah, that's the main thing keeping me from searching a used one of the older model. Not worth the investment if I don't use it. I'm guessing the majority of your current metal listening is on the Auteur lately?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back