Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 26, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #8,836 of 12,280
Maybe it was already mentioned, but wouldn't be great if IEMs would enter the list.

I know about the rules but hey, who cares :)

Splitting the thread would definitely ruined it...

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #8,837 of 12,280
So you read the first post and now you think you know the whole thread? All 589 pages of it?

Thanks for coming in here and setting us straight. That was a close one!

One will literally have to try 30+ headphones to just start comprehend what is going on in these 589 pages of discussions.

Ultimate solution: try them all, decide for yourself.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #8,838 of 12,280
Jul 26, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #8,839 of 12,280
One will literally have to try 30+ headphones to just start comprehend what is going on in these 589 pages of discussions.

Ultimate solution: try them all, decide for yourself.

There are plenty of people who have been in this thread for quite a while that are willing to help you. If you give us an idea of your budget, your current setup, what subgenres you listen to, and any peripheral needs (I need isolation. I want max impact! etc.) we’ll get you where you need to be.

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #8,840 of 12,280
There are plenty of people who have been in this thread for quite a while that are willing to help you. If you give us an idea of your budget, your current setup, what subgenres you listen to, and any peripheral needs (I need isolation. I want max impact! etc.) we’ll get you where you need to be.

Minimum coloration. Maximum accuracy. I have a Schitt Lyr 2 and Bifrost MB Gen 5. The HD650 is close to what I want but has a little too laid back energy and sweet midrange.

For portable use, I have a Fiio x5 III. I like the Sennheiser Amperior but the 10k treble region is a little elevated.

I used to enjoy the Chord Mojo with the Beyerdynamic DT770. The DT770 has bright top region but the Mojo decreased it and adds a little warmth to the midrange. Not that I am after warm sounding at all. It is just that the combinaition of both seemed to work and give a nice balanced result.

Alternative rock is my main genre, or Nu Metal. Budget is within the price of the elements mentioned above.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #8,841 of 12,280
Minimum coloration. Maximum accuracy. I have a Schitt Lyr 2 and Bifrost MB Gen 5. The HD650 is close to what I want but has a little too laid back energy and sweet midrange.

For portable use, I have a Fiio x5 III. I like the Sennheiser Amperior but the 10k treble region is a little elevated.

I used to enjoy the Chord Mojo with the Beyerdynamic DT770. The DT770 has bright top region but the Mojo decreased it and adds a little warmth to the midrange. Not that I am after warm sounding at all. It is just that the combinaition of both seemed to work and give a nice balanced result.

Alternative rock is my main genre, or Nu Metal. Budget is within the price of the elements mentioned above.

For your tastes, I'd probably grab the MrSpeakers AEON Flow Closed, (which is more neutral than the AEON Open). To me, the AFC has very, very little coloration at all. Another option is the original HD600, which I have always liked much better than the HD650. I feel it is a lot more neutral and natural sounding and the timbre is clearly superior. A final option I would look at is the Hifiman Sundara, which is very neutral and natural sounding, plus you get that nice, well-extended planar bass that the HD600s lack. My only caveat on Sundara is I haven't had a ton of headtime with them. In a few short listens, they seemed pretty neutral.

If you're open to changing out your amp, I'd also swap out the Lyr 2 for a HeadAmp GIlmore Lite 2, which is a more neutral and technically capable amplifier (I used to own a Lyr a few years back). As a reference tool, the Gilmore Lite is a great piece of equipment.

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #8,842 of 12,280
Thank you sir. I am gonna add them to my list of headphones to try. Gilmore headamp lite 2 also noted.

Cheers,

Jul 26, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #8,844 of 12,280
Maybe it was already mentioned, but wouldn't be great if IEMs would enter the list.

I know about the rules but hey, who cares :)

Splitting the thread would definitely ruined it...

What’s your budget and what subgenres do you listen to?

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #8,845 of 12,280
I listen to hard rock, grunge, stoner mainly.

My preference would be tuning that soak up crappy production with rock and still leave plenty of byte and details to enjoy.

I'm not currently on the market for a new IEM since a bought a few toys recently, but would like to know in which direction to go.

Budget around 1000 Euro,
thanks

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #8,846 of 12,280
Hey guys, been missing you all. Got fed up with the new website and then went through personal stuff but I am back. Never stopped listening though.

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #8,847 of 12,280
Hey guys, been missing you all. Got fed up with the new website and then went through personal stuff but I am back. Never stopped listening though.

Hey man! Good to see you again!

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #8,848 of 12,280
Jul 27, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #8,849 of 12,280
As luck would have it, my Gilmore Lite Mk2 review was published this morning, if you want to do some further reading on that one: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0818/HeadAmp_Gilmore_Lite_Mk2_Amplifier_Review.htm
Hi Hansotek nice review , i listened a couple of hour to the gilmore lite ... and i had same your impressions expecially the sinergy with my Aeon Flow Open ... they sound lovely ... at price point gilmore is an absolute bargain , unless you got He6 or he1000 or Susvara ,,, then more power shoiuld be better (I got violectric V281) but as V281 costs 4 time more ... headamp has an incredible performance ....

Jul 27, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #8,850 of 12,280
Recently at the listening room of the Italian distributor of Hifiman (Playstereo) i was able to listen to sundara , he1000 and susvara (I had with me the Auter for comparisons and also I have AFO , he6 denon d7200 and hd600)

sundara is very good for its price ... it takes the 400i and refines in every way and add a little touch of warmth ... very comfortable ... he1000 i listenet to it several times , in my opinion sounds quite similar to Auteur... Susvara yep is really fantastic ... it seems too take the better aspects of he1000 and he6 and fuse them togheter ... last week he called me that he had an open box susvara un a special offer (it was opened and inspected by customs, so it wouldn't have been sold like new) and I made one of the best mistakes of my life buying it :'D

i'm about at 50 -60 hours of playtime (i let it play through the day when i'm out) and it is starting sounding similar to the one I listened at Playstereo's room ... fisrt time i listened to is just opened there were a bit of harshness but as it is playing the sound makes better hour after hour.

I'm missing to listened to Ananda ... one my friend listened to ananda and hex v2 , he found hex v2 a little better even if they should share same driver ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back