Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 7, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #8,686 of 12,269
I mostly used the “Holy Grail” Reflektor 6N23P (1975 silver shields). I also had a Dario Miniwatt 188CC (1962 or 1963, I think, one of the last years before they switched them all to Philips branding - not that it makes a difference, still manufactured by Philips in Harleen, Holland).

Once the Holy Grail Reflektor went in, it didn’t really come out. Just make sure you find an authentic one if you go that route- lots of fake Reflektors out there. Get to know the guts of the tube. They can’t fake that part.

"Holy Grail" Reflektor... I will have to look for one of these. Something tells me its not gonna be cheap :frowning2:

Apr 7, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #8,687 of 12,269
Anyone used the dharma from enigma acoustics with metal? I'm really interested in those and the auteur as of late.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #8,689 of 12,269
Anyone used the dharma from enigma acoustics with metal? I'm really interested in those and the auteur as of late.

IMO the Auteur is the better of the two options. The Dharma can be good, but it’s just not on the Auteur’s level.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #8,690 of 12,269
Apropos of nothing, I'm intimidated as hell by people who know all kinds of inside stuff about tubes: NOS stock vs new, tube #s, sonic impressions of 14 different iterations of single tube, etc. It's like I'm watching Einstein balance his checkbook...who can compete w/such specialized knowledge?

When I bought my 1st ever tube HP amp (Woo WA3), I shelled out for the upgrade driver tubes (vs strip-mining ebay for them using all that special knowledge I don't possess). I know how disreputable it is to not to attempt my own tube-rolling, but this was so much easier (luckily the amp sounds wonderful). But soon I'll face the dilemma: how to upgrade the power tube (cold sweat).

Seriously...I'm amazed by people like @Hansotek who've tried many tubes and can keep them all straight. When I finally start tube rolling for real, I'll plunder their knowledge at every opportunity...

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #8,691 of 12,269
Apropos of nothing, I'm intimidated as hell by people who know all kinds of inside stuff about tubes: NOS stock vs new, tube #s, sonic impressions of 14 different iterations of single tube, etc. It's like I'm watching Einstein balance his checkbook...who can compete w/such specialized knowledge?

When I bought my 1st ever tube HP amp (Woo WA3), I shelled out for the upgrade driver tubes (vs strip-mining ebay for them using all that special knowledge I don't possess). I know how disreputable it is to not to attempt my own tube-rolling, but this was so much easier (luckily the amp sounds wonderful). But soon I'll face the dilemma: how to upgrade the power tube (cold sweat).

Seriously...I'm amazed by people like @Hansotek who've tried many tubes and can keep them all straight. When I finally start tube rolling for real, I'll plunder their knowledge at every opportunity...

You and me both, I was bombarding @Hansotek inbox when trying to figure out how to configure my Glenn OTL.

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #8,692 of 12,269

There are a few threads you can subscribe to that can help,such as

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/2359glenn-studio.600110/page-1286#post-14157843
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/6sn7-tube-addicts.479031/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/for-6as7g-tube-rollers-here.410326/page-268#post-14146073
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dub...mparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread.694525/

Im doing a crash course in tubeology 101 myself in prep for my Glenn OTL impending arrival

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #8,693 of 12,269

Be my guest man, I love talking tubes.

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #8,694 of 12,269
You and me both, I was bombarding @Hansotek inbox when trying to figure out how to configure my Glenn OTL.

No worries man, more than happy to help you build a killer amp!

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #8,698 of 12,269
Hi. What would you guys recommend for stuff like Archspire, Black Crown Initiate, Car Bomb and Periphery from these cans: LCD-X creator edition, LCD-2c, Aeon Flow Open? I have a Jot w/ dac module.

Many thanks.

I’d probably go with either one of the Audezes. X if you’d like more neutral, 2C if you want a little more warmth.

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #8,699 of 12,269
I love Metal music,
what are your opinions on the DT 1990 Pro, B&W P7, B&O H6(2nd Gen) ?
I was tempted to try metal on the Focal Elear.
The thing i love the most, is being able to hear the finger flick of the guitarist when they shred. so far i've only heard that with Amon Amarth with my DT1990 Pros.

Do you think the Audioquest Carbon Nightowls would be good too?
I was also considering re-buying my AKG 712 Pro's i sold them for money to buy other things. I kinda of regret selling them now :frowning2:

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #8,700 of 12,269
I was considering audeze lcd2cs for metal and other genres but with the unit to unit variation issue still going on, I may have to try the aeon open or campfire cascade. I wonder if anyone has compared those here with metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back