Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Feb 12, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #8,551 of 12,269
I actually don't know, I think that the driver will have some adjustments for that, since it has to accomodate a different acoustic chamber.

As for a bellow 1K$ Empyrean, I think it is early to say, but I'm sure that there should be something more affordable along the road to fill in the space between 300$ and 3000$, be it a mini Empyrean, or another model entirely.

@MezeTeam, there were talks of an awesome cement (granite?) 99 series, how is the progress on those ones? I remember they looked really nice!

Ok thanks :wink:

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #8,552 of 12,269
Yes, I had a mystifying experience w/the coco Atticus, ended up selling it. I feel as though, due to source problems, I never really heard the Atticus everyone describes. Weird because I LOVE the ZMF sound (have/love the Ori; have listened at great length to the Eikon and admire it to the sky), and was so primed to love the Atticus.

Yea, I've found the Atticus to be very amp dependent. It's very much a synergy thing and what really get's them to "open" up.

I read mixed things about the Beyer: it's either freakishly bright & peaky like other Beyer designs (some users); or it's the 1st Beyer design that sounds warm & euphonic (others). Have to hear that to make sure... The 2 planars are unknowns, but in relatively familiar ways. Need to hear those, too.

I scored a crazy deal on some Amiron's a few weeks ago. I personally find the Amiron to be very smooth, yet detailed and musical. I've not heard a ton of Beyer's, but it's certainly the best I've heard to date. It particularity like how good it sounds on my WA2.

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #8,553 of 12,269
Anyone done much pad rolling with the k240 Sextett's? Only tried a few pads so far, but haven't had any great matches.

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #8,554 of 12,269
Anyone done much pad rolling with the k240 Sextett's? Only tried a few pads so far, but haven't had any great matches.

I believe @Fearless1 has done some pad rolling on them.
My son bought a pair that came with Brainwavz angled pleather pads and they sound about the same,but more comfy.

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #8,556 of 12,269
Yes sir I have, shure Alcantara pads sound awesome( and are comfy).

No way! You know how many different headphones I've put the Shure Alcantara's on and they just kill the sound. It's a shame cause they are insanely comfy. I'll have to try them on.

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #8,558 of 12,269
No way! You know how many different headphones I've put the Shure Alcantara's on and they just kill the sound. It's a shame cause they are insanely comfy. I'll have to try them on.

They sound great on my he4, and denon d2k
They did not sound good on the denon with stock cups though. But wood cups and a few very minor mods, and they're wonderful.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #8,559 of 12,269
Hey guys. What’s the best headphone on the lower end to f the budget for doom, black and death metal? I have meze 99s which I love but I want something I’m less precious about when I’m out and about. Sorry ocd sufferer.

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #8,560 of 12,269
Feb 13, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #8,561 of 12,269

I bought these last month and they are absolutely terrific. But they really come alive with the EQ app HF Player by Onkyo, as someone had previously mentioned. I returned the beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 32 Ohm that I purchased first. Can’t believe they sound this good AND have the option of using either via cable or BT.

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #8,562 of 12,269
Sooo I accidentally gave the Campfire Cascade a listen just now with some Metallica, I am trying to respectfully not listen till I hit the 100+ hour burn in mark. I don't believe in burn in but Ken recommends it so I'll abide by his recommendation before I start seriously listening.

Non the less who boi... these bad bois are METAL APPROVED!!!!! Let me TELL YA something! Quite good... in fact I'ma go sneak another listen >.> yea man these little 42mm drivers can REALLY kick!!!!!

Overall I have to say these have a very mean sound, great for metal!!! Like... I kinda think I'm going to get in trouble with my wife again >.>

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #8,563 of 12,269
Sooo I accidentally gave the Campfire Cascade a listen just now with some Metallica, I am trying to respectfully not listen till I hit the 100+ hour burn in mark. I don't believe in burn in but Ken recommends it so I'll abide by his recommendation before I start seriously listening.

Non the less who boi... these bad bois are METAL APPROVED!!!!! Let me TELL YA something! Quite good... in fact I'ma go sneak another listen >.> yea man these little 42mm drivers can REALLY kick!!!!!

Overall I have to say these have a very mean sound, great for metal!!! Like... I kinda think I'm going to get in trouble with my wife again >.>

Compare it to the he4

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #8,564 of 12,269

Well, they're supposed to sound like the Vega, which is my go-to IEM for metal, so not surprised.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #8,565 of 12,269
Compare it to the he4

hehe, there not as fast/powerful/textured in the lows as the HE 4, I've yet to find anything that is... the HD 800/LCD 2 come close but nothing imo beats the HE 4 bass just yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back