Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 12, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #7,936 of 12,268
Finally got around to listening to my HE-400 (original black and blue version). Like @Hansotek reports, these are really good headphones, and complement my AEONs nicely. They do like some extra power, however. My Fiio X3iii on high gain doesn't have enough juice to make them sing. The iFi IDSD BL yields a much better result. Excellent bass impact, speed and clarity. I just need to upgrade these pads. I might upgrade the cable too.

On a side note... HIFIMAN's old screw-on connectors were terrible, terrible, terrrible. I had to twist, twist, twist, and twist again to connect the cable. It was connected, but the cable was all twisted. Such a ridiculous design.
Pro tip about the smc connectors — twist the cable the opposite direction before connecting it to the headphones. Once it's lined up, then just turn the whole cable with the connector. Turning the entire cable is easier than the connector itself. It took me maybe 3 tries to be able to figure out exactly how many rotations I needed to turn it in the opposing direction for it to be flush once firmly connected. Doing it the traditional way — yes — a nightmarish feat. I agree one-hundred percent. Hope that helps.

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #7,937 of 12,268
Long ago I began my headphone journey with a Beyer T1 driven by a WA2.Once I realized that I truly dislike bright headphones and traded away my Beyers I also got rid of my WA2 since back then I didnt have any headphones that would benefit from an OTL amp.

Fast forward to today with three sextetts,an HD250 (300 ohm version)and an Atticus on the way im thinking of picking up another OTL. I'd like to keep it under 500.00,have a warm sound signature and do not mind buying used.

Any suggestions? Ive looked into a Bottlehead with various upgrades as well as a LaFigaro 339...any others im missing?

EDIT:

Nevermind,grabbed a La Figaro 339...

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #7,938 of 12,268
Finally got around to listening to my HE-400 (original black and blue version). Like @Hansotek reports, these are really good headphones, and complement my AEONs nicely. They do like some extra power, however. My Fiio X3iii on high gain doesn't have enough juice to make them sing. The iFi IDSD BL yields a much better result. Excellent bass impact, speed and clarity. I just need to upgrade these pads. I might upgrade the cable too.

On a side note... HIFIMAN's old screw-on connectors were terrible, terrible, terrrible. I had to twist, twist, twist, and twist again to connect the cable. It was connected, but the cable was all twisted. Such a ridiculous design.

Pro tip on the SMC connectors, just turn the tiny metal tip, don't twist the cable. Hifiman cables are bad enough already.

With that said, I definitely recommend a cable upgrade on the HE400 or really any Hifiman headphone (though the cable on the HE1000 V2 isn't too bad).

They will also continue to scale impressively with amplification. I've mentioned it on here before, but I plugged them into a $7K Wells Headtrip, and you'd swear they were $2,000 headphones.

Aug 13, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #7,939 of 12,268
Pro tip on the SMC connectors, just turn the tiny metal tip, don't twist the cable. Hifiman cables are bad enough already.

With that said, I definitely recommend a cable upgrade on the HE400 or really any Hifiman headphone (though the cable on the HE1000 V2 isn't too bad).

They will also continue to scale impressively with amplification. I've mentioned it on here before, but I plugged them into a $7K Wells Headtrip, and you'd swear they were $2,000 headphones.

Thanks for the tip. I was able to hold the cable in place, and just spin the connector around with my thumb. It was annoying, but it worked.

The one I bought has the velour pads and an aftermarket cable. The cable is nothing special, but it's certainly better than whatever the stock one was. I'm going to get the Focus A pads, and I posted an ad for an upgraded cable.

I totally believe they would continue scaling with a better amp. The difference between listening just through the Fiio X5iii and BL was night-and-day - I was really surprised to at how much of a difference I heard. The dynamics and clarity were several levels better.

Aug 13, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #7,940 of 12,268
Pro tip about the smc connectors — twist the cable the opposite direction before connecting it to the headphones. Once it's lined up, then just turn the whole cable with the connector. Turning the entire cable is easier than the connector itself. It took me maybe 3 tries to be able to figure out exactly how many rotations I needed to turn it in the opposing direction for it to be flush once firmly connected. Doing it the traditional way — yes — a nightmarish feat. I agree one-hundred percent. Hope that helps.

How do you like the AEONs vs the Eikons?

Aug 13, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #7,941 of 12,268
How do you like the AEONs vs the Eikons?
They're definitely different. Lol.

• If you want fun, go with the Eikon.
•If you want more analytical, go with the ÆON.
• If you want dynamic bass and impact/slam, go with the Eikon.
• If you want planar bass with the added fully-sealed rumble for sub-bass FR, go with the ÆON.
• Still not in love with the Eikon headband.
• Some won't love the weight of the Eikon.
• I'm such a fanboi of MrSpeakers headband design.
• Earpads are a tie.
• ÆON DUMMER cable is meh imo.
• No idea about the Eikon OEM cable.
• Vocals are a tie as well. Excellent on both.
• High frequencies aren't offensive on either pair — especially for sealed designs.
• Clamping force and weight distribution is great for both, but ÆON is literally the GOAT (greatest of all time) imo in the comfort department.
• Eikon has mini 3 pin xlr connectors going for it.
• MrSpeakers mini 4 pin xlr proprietary bs connectors are still stupid. Needing to buy a new custom cable or adapter is silly if you already own some for Audeze-type headphones.
• Price is what it is. I don't think it should sway you towards one or the other if you're after a certain sound signature. ÆON is of the ever slightest better value simply due to being cheaper.
• As far as closed/sealed headphones go, these two are definite winners. Wouldn't touch a TH900 after hearing either tbh. I imagine the same would be said about the THX00 and E-mu Teak if I heard them too due to earpad, headband, and clamp design differences.
• Let's not forget that they have detachable cables! Really a bonus compared to a few models that still don't offer that standard.
• Case for both headphones are excellent. No question which is more portable though (the ÆON). Lol.
Edit:
• If comfort was truly equal, I'd be keeping the Eikon over the ÆON due to preferring the sound signature of the Eikon to be completely honest. There's no such thing as fatigue with the ÆON. Thus, it's the keeper for me personally.

I could probably add more to this, but my food is ready and I'm hungry. Om nom nom.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #7,942 of 12,268
They're definitely different. Lol.

• If you want fun, go with the Eikon.
•If you want more analytical, go with the ÆON.
• If you want dynamic bass and impact/slam, go with the Eikon.
• If you want planar bass with the added fully-sealed rumble for sub-bass FR, go with the ÆON.
• Still not in love with the Eikon headband.
• Some won't love the weight of the Eikon.
• I'm such a fanboi of MrSpeakers headband design.
• Earpads are a tie.
• ÆON DUMMER cable is meh imo.
• No idea about the Eikon OEM cable.
• Vocals are a tie as well. Excellent on both.
• High frequencies aren't offensive on either pair — especially for sealed designs.
• Clamping force and weight distribution is great for both, but ÆON is literally the GOAT (greatest of all time) imo in the comfort department.
• Eikon has mini 3 pin xlr connectors going for it.
• MrSpeakers 4 pin xlr proprietary bs connectors are still stupid. Needing to buy a new custom cable or adapter is silly if you already own some for Audeze-type headphones.
• Price is what it is. I don't think it should sway you towards one or the other if you're after a certain sound signature. ÆON is of the ever slightest better value simply due to being cheaper.
• As far as closed/sealed headphones go, these two are definite winners. Wouldn't touch a TH900 after hearing either tbh. I imagine the same would be said about the THX00 and E-mu Teak if I heard them too due to earpad, headband, and clamp design differences.
• Let's not forget that they have detachable cables! Really a bonus compared to a few models that still don't offer that standard.
• Case for both headphones are excellent. No question which is more portable though (the ÆON). Lol.
Edit:
• If comfort was truly equal, I'd be keeping the Eikon over the ÆON due to preferring the sound signature of the Eikon to be completely honest. There's no such thing as fatigue with the ÆON. Thus, it's the keeper for me personally.

I could probably add more to this, but my food is ready and I'm hungry. Om nom nom.

I pre-ordered the AEONs, and I've been very happy with them, but I sometimes wonder if I'd slightly prefer the more fun sound signature of the Eikons, as you've noted. The AEONs are super comfortable, and pretty easy to drive, so they're pretty hard to let go. Yes, I agree the comfort on the AEONs is through the roof. They're definitely the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (including AKGs, Beyers and Sennheisers), and the only ones I've ever owned where I don't start fidgeting or adjusting them every 20 minutes or so. I really liked the ZMF Oris as well, but they were a bit heavy. I know the Eikons are a little lighter, but they're not as comfy as the AEONs.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #7,943 of 12,268
I pre-ordered the AEONs, and I've been very happy with them, but I sometimes wonder if I'd slightly prefer the more fun sound signature of the Eikons, as you've noted. The AEONs are super comfortable, and pretty easy to drive, so they're pretty hard to let go. Yes, I agree the comfort on the AEONs is through the roof. They're definitely the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (including AKGs, Beyers and Sennheisers), and the only ones I've ever owned where I don't start fidgeting or adjusting them every 20 minutes or so. I really liked the ZMF Oris as well, but they were a bit heavy. I know the Eikons are a little lighter, but they're not as comfy as the AEONs.
I'd probably keep both, but swapping headphones just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I can see why folks wouldn't mind owning both if funds allowed for it. Although, it is a bit odd to own 2 headphones for isolation purposes.

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #7,944 of 12,268
I've had my hd800s for over a week now and I thought I'd come back and let you know they sound amazing. Completely different to my meze 99s and nightowls. The soundstage is huge. I've been listening to opeth a lot and they have never sounded better

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #7,946 of 12,268
I've had my hd800s for over a week now and I thought I'd come back and let you know they sound amazing. Completely different to my meze 99s and nightowls. The soundstage is huge. I've been listening to opeth a lot and they have never sounded better

I'm really glad to hear that you're having fun in there! :darthsmile:

800S is indeed one of the best headphones that were ever made by Sennheiser!

Aug 14, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #7,947 of 12,268
Im ready to give up on HiFiMan:rage:...my right driver on my 2 month old HE6 died tonite,two months after the left driver died after only 5 months...I emailed HiFiMan and asked to be refunded(since theyre still under warranty). i like the sound of them but im tired of not knowing if/when the driver is just gonna take a dump on me...

So in case I do get 1100.00 back from them what other HPs can yall recommend that would complement my collection well,keeping in mind I have an incoming ZMF Atticus.I was looking at a used pair of LCD-3s,but I wasnt crazy about the 2s...Are they much different and would they be redundant to Atticus?

Any other suggestions?

Aug 14, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #7,948 of 12,268
Hi there!

I thought I couldn't post here hahaha. Oh well, let's see if I get some educated recommendations over here :) I created a topic asking for it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/looking-for-new-headphones-top-350-euros.857739/#post-13656181

Long story short: Had some Creative Aurvana Live, they broke, tried DT770 and didn't like it and now this:

Baamp (awful pun on my nickname).

So, I've been trying AKG K550 and I would say I do find them better than the DT770 and the CAL. Real quick breakdown, with bands as examples:
  • What if I play Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin? REALLY good.
  • How about some prog metal with Dream Theater or Devin Townsend? Very good, though not as much.
  • And prog rock with Haken or Porcupine Tree? Freaking amazing, unbelievable, I'm in heaven.
  • Metallica? Pantera? Just ok, good enough.
  • But then I jump to the dark side and play some melodic death, like Opeth or Dark Tranquillity and everything becomes somehow flat.
  • Then I go straight into black with Emperor and it is even "flatter"...
This wouldn't have been a problem 2-3 years ago, as I didn't fully cross the barrier to the dark side back into death and black, but now I happen to listen to it more and more... So the question would be: Something that performs like the AKGs in the "light side" but as well in the "dark side"?

PS: I found this topic https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution.715478/ and it is somewhat helpful, but obviously there are too many headphones missing. Those Abyss AB1266 seem like the perfect match, but I do not have 5400 euros for a pair of... You know what? Let's stop right there, I just don't even have 5400 euros!!!

So, any ideas on what could be a perfect match without having to pay with my organs? haha

Aug 14, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #7,949 of 12,268
Budget?
Amp,if any?
open/closed back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back