Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Aug 2, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #7,876 of 12,282
Hi.

The Meze 99 Neo should work well (or a pair of Meze 99 Classics secondhand, to save a few bucks). The Hifiman He-400i are a good pick as well, but I'm not sure how much they cost in Norway. They go on sale for $250 in the US all the time.

Those are two popular choices in that price range. The Focal Listen is also very good, but they're not as bassy as the DT990, so I'm not sure if they have the right sound signature for you.

Meze headphones are nowhere to be found in Norway unfortunately. The HiFiman HE-400i is currently on sale for $442. I'm not really into the differences between the HE-400-something, but I've seen the HE-400 used as low as $190. Focal Listen is priced at ~$250, but I think they'd might be a bit boring?

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #7,877 of 12,282
Meze headphones are nowhere to be found in Norway unfortunately. The HiFiman HE-400i is currently on sale for $442. I'm not really into the differences between the HE-400-something, but I've seen the HE-400 used as low as $190. Focal Listen is priced at ~$250, but I think they'd might be a bit boring?

I didn't find the Focals boring. They were a bu
It uncomfortable, however.

The hifiman he-400 are very different from the 400i. I haven't heard them, so I can't comment.

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #7,878 of 12,282

Well, good news for you and anybody else who is looking for a great metal headphone on the cheap. Massdrop is doing a collaboration with Hifiman to launch the HE4XX. The drop starts tomorrow morning and the headphone is priced VERY, VERY AFFORDABLY at $169.99

IMO, this is a no brainer. I still have an original HE400, and I really feel the 400 series were absolutely killer with metal, especially when paired with a nice amp and cable.

Here's the link to the drop, which as I mentioned starts tomorrow:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #7,879 of 12,282
The hifiman he-400 are very different from the 400i. I haven't heard them, so I can't comment.

IMO, the original HE400 with the original "no gap" HE-6 velour pads and the Norne Draug 2, running out of the Wells Milo is like the Busch League Abyss. It doesn't have the deep detail or the sound stage, but it is clear, fast and hits very hard.

The main problems with the headphone, IMO, where the absolute garbage cable and the sub-par amplification most people paired it with. Garbage in, garbage out, as they say. The drivers themselves are extremely capable.

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #7,880 of 12,282
Well, good news for you and anybody else who is looking for a great metal headphone on the cheap. Massdrop is doing a collaboration with Hifiman to launch the HE4XX. The drop starts tomorrow morning and the headphone is priced VERY, VERY AFFORDABLY at $169.99

IMO, this is a no brainer. I still have an original HE400, and I really feel the 400 series were absolutely killer with metal, especially when paired with a nice amp and cable.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones

Hifiman is being weird about which drivers they're using. Are they the 400 or the 400i drivers? I read there's a sub-bass roll-off shown in a FR graph so could they be the 400s?

Their nomenclature - like their qc - is garbage.

I do enjoy their headphones, however.

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #7,881 of 12,282
Hifiman is being weird about which drivers they're using. Are they the 400 or the 400i drivers? I read there's a sub-bass roll-off shown in a FR graph so could they be the 400s?

Their nomenclature - like their qc - is garbage.

I do enjoy their headphones, however.

Yeah, not sure why they are being dodgy about the drivers. I can't disagree with any of that - they just don't get it, but for $170, who cares? The one person I know has heard them was pretty impressed... and he's hard to impress.

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #7,883 of 12,282
Hi.

The Meze 99 Neo should work well (or a pair of Meze 99 Classics secondhand, to save a few bucks). The Hifiman He-400i are a good pick as well, but I'm not sure how much they cost in Norway. They go on sale for $250 in the US all the time.

Those are two popular choices in that price range. The Focal Listen is also very good, but they're not as bassy as the DT990, so I'm not sure if they have the right sound signature for you.

At their rather sane price I'd also recommend 99 C / 99 Neo, there's little chance to go wrong with either.

Sadly, I haven't heard HE-400, so I can't speak on behalf of their sound, but some people have been quite enthused with them so I guess that they are good :darthsmile:

Aug 3, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #7,884 of 12,282

And then there's shipping and handling and after taxes and such, they will end up costing at the very least $290.

Aug 3, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #7,885 of 12,282
And then there's shipping and handling and after taxes and such, they will end up costing at the very least $290.

I'm pretty sure taxes, shipping and handling won't add up to $120 unless you live on the international space station.

A used HE400 / 400i via the sale thread is also a good option, if you prefer. I'm sure there's at least one head-fi'er out there who is ready to shoot one up to space for you.

Aug 3, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #7,886 of 12,282
I'm pretty sure taxes, shipping and handling won't add up to $120 unless you live on the international space station.

A used HE400 / 400i via the sale thread is also a good option, if you prefer. I'm sure there's at least one head-fi'er out there who is ready to shoot one up to space for you.

One would think so, but some times I think it would actually be cheaper to send something to space! I'm not completely sure what the shipping would be, as it wouldn't show for me. Massdrop has a US limit on some things, so I would have to pay $15 for a forwarder or what they call it, who would receive them from massdrop, and then ship it to me. $15 for that, and shipping to Norway could be anything from $20 to $80, so let's say $30. So far 170 + 30 + 15 = 215. Then whichever shipping company who handles the package through customs will take a fee for paying the taxes up front. That fee is usually around 170 NOK($21). So then we have $215 + 25% (taxes) + $21 = $289,75.

Aug 3, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #7,887 of 12,282
I doubt they'll want to touch the HE 6, it's so picky with amplification. I think a HE 5XX would be more realistic honestly

Close! I just got the notice for the HE4XX drop today, but of course you all would know beforehand.

I'm really enjoying the HE-6. Hard to compare when I no longer have the Audeze LCD-2.2, but it seems less dark, better detail, definitely more comfortable.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #7,888 of 12,282
One would think so, but some times I think it would actually be cheaper to send something to space! I'm not completely sure what the shipping would be, as it wouldn't show for me. Massdrop has a US limit on some things, so I would have to pay $15 for a forwarder or what they call it, who would receive them from massdrop, and then ship it to me. $15 for that, and shipping to Norway could be anything from $20 to $80, so let's say $30. So far 170 + 30 + 15 = 215. Then whichever shipping company who handles the package through customs will take a fee for paying the taxes up front. That fee is usually around 170 NOK($21). So then we have $215 + 25% (taxes) + $21 = $289,75.

You should move.

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #7,889 of 12,282
Norway is an expensive place to live in many ways. Does that make folks morose there? At least there's no end to material for Black Metal Cats. Once you have overpaid for your headphones, you can wander with them in the dark forests and ruminate on your fate.

bm-cats-07-31.jpg

"A cold wind of evil whispers my name in the forest. My burial place will be the mountains."

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #7,890 of 12,282
True, Norway is expensive. A big advantage is that we have a 5 year right to complain on almost everything, by law. Take headphones for example. If the drivers fail or anything else that should last at least 5 years brake during normal use, we can complain and get it fixed or get a new product without paying anything. All businesses that are located in Norway or are VAT registered in Norway must follow this law.

In general, I think we have it pretty good here, since the prices of things are usually what people complain about.

The main problem with ordering something from abroad (total value more than ~$45) is that we have to pay tax on the total sum. Not only the product itself, but shipping as well. And shipping can be very expensive some times. Particularly from the states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back