Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 21, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #7,846 of 12,279
Yeah saw those. But since i'm in Germany, adding import taxes and shipping they are more expensive than buying the 600/650 directly here. Plus they ship in December. No way i'm waiting that long :wink:
After watching the Z Review of 600/650/700 comparison, i'll go for the 600. Used they go between 150 and 180 here. That's a great price.

Amp wise, i'm debating o2, Magni2 or something completely different. Concerning DAC i'm fine with my focusrite interface atm. Might get one of the schiit dac's for Christmas though. Getting a source switcher is higher priority though.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #7,847 of 12,279
Made it out of Illinois alive. Haven't been able to listen to music outside of crappy car speakers for a few days. I'm going through high end withdrawals. Hahaha.

Man… the classifieds sure suck these days. No traffic at all. Fleabay or Gon it is then I guess. Feels bad.

Ordered an ÆON at least. Eagerly anticipating that arriving at the new residence. :)

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #7,848 of 12,279
Made it out of Illinois alive. Haven't been able to listen to music outside of crappy car speakers for a few days. I'm going through high end withdrawals. Hahaha.

Man… the classifieds sure suck these days. No traffic at all. Fleabay or Gon it is then I guess. Feels bad.

Ordered an ÆON at least. Eagerly anticipating that arriving at the new residence. :)

Where are you now?

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #7,850 of 12,279

Ordered an ÆON at least. Eagerly anticipating that arriving at the new residenc
Do you still have the Matrix 3B Amp ?

Jul 22, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #7,851 of 12,279
Do you still have the Matrix 3B Amp ?
Indeed, I do still have the Matrix HPA-3B amp. I've had no complaints thus far. It may not be the absolute best available, but the Eikon isn't the be-all, end-all HP either. The synergy worked well at that's what counts in the end. :)

That said, as a result of so many folks talking up the Mojo and Black Label, I almost impulsively purchased both at different points in time. Then I remembered that I don't need another source or more amplification. Lol. Although, should I finally work outside of the home (trying to get away from Freelance work — my new location has opened up many opportunities), I may have to get one or the other eventually for the workplace at the minimum.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #7,852 of 12,279
Well my quest is over, I finally got my pair of HE-6 yesterday a late b-day present for myself. I bought them from dleblanc343, who included his homemade cable for "aesthetics and personaly sound tuning" with OCC copper. The customized pads are focus "B" that come with later versions of HE-560, but stuffed the top with some dynamat, in specific fashion for more depth and less brightness. So far they sound pretty amazing with my iCAN Pro, definitely a step up from my Audeze LCD-2.2, and more comfortable. Thanks Monsterzero for answering my questions about these headphones and trying to connect me with sellers.

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #7,853 of 12,279
Well my quest is over, I finally got my pair of HE-6 yesterday a late b-day present for myself. I bought them from dleblanc343, who included his homemade cable for "aesthetics and personaly sound tuning" with OCC copper. The customized pads are focus "B" that come with later versions of HE-560, but stuffed the top with some dynamat, in specific fashion for more depth and less brightness. So far they sound pretty amazing with my iCAN Pro, definitely a step up from my Audeze LCD-2.2, and more comfortable. Thanks Monsterzero for answering my questions about these headphones and trying to connect me with sellers.

oooh the iCan Pro. I'd love to hear that bad boi! I've got an iCan SE on loaner right now and it's pretty darn impressive with the LCD XC, doesn't drive my HE 4 just right. But based purely on the specs I have no doubt the iCan Pro is just dreamy with the HE 6! Takes what I've come to accept is iCan's very low distortion or black sound and brings a balanced connector plus the power you need for something like the HE 6, btw are you running it with the Tube Output or not?

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #7,854 of 12,279
I switch to Tube about 20% of the time whenever I feel it might enhance the music. It's fun! I also toonce the bass up sometimes *wubble wubble*

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #7,856 of 12,279
Just got my AKG K7XX today. I am really digging these!!!

I've been looking at these and the 712s for awhile now. I was hoping to upgrade my Polk Buckle with ZMF Eikon but I don't think I'm going to have the money for something like that. Also would like to get a pair of open backs since I've never listened to that style before. Curious as to how different it sounds.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #7,857 of 12,279
Ooo. I'll officially have Google Fiber Sunday. LET THE STREAMING COMMENCE! MWAHAHA! In the meantime, I'm slowly dying in anticipation. Wasn't sure what to think about tidal when I first started a trial, but I don't think I'll cancel it when it asks to renew. Too convenient for my multiple devices. It's going to be a couple of days before my ÆON is fully burned in. Had to go the extra mile to terminate the new DUMMER cable for balanced us (since it's not an option atm). Looking forward to that as well. All-around great dozen of days in a row. Might even stream my gaming sessions on YT Gaming or Twitch as well. Get some side hustle money for doing nothing different from the norm. I'll be playing the game(s) anyways. Heh.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #7,858 of 12,279
I've been looking at these and the 712s for awhile now. I was hoping to upgrade my Polk Buckle with ZMF Eikon but I don't think I'm going to have the money for something like that. Also would like to get a pair of open backs since I've never listened to that style before. Coriuous as to how different it sounds.

The sound is really good with k7xx if they are comfortable for you.

I tend to find hd600 slightly more comfortable, k7xx being close to touching my ears, but nevertheless k7xx is one of headphone top choices in general.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #7,859 of 12,279
The sound is really good with k7xx if they are comfortable for you.

I tend to find hd600 slightly more comfortable, k7xx being close to touching my ears, but nevertheless k7xx is one of headphone top choices in general.
Still burning mine in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back