Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 30, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #7,786 of 12,271
I tend to go through $100'ish IEMs mostly for going to the gym and yard work. I tend to trash them and should probably get something under $50 for yard work, where I'm hopping over split rail fences, hauling leaves and sometimes they get ripped out of my ears (those damn thorn bushes) and trashed.

I opted for the Amazon replacement plan which has now replaced to two sets IEMs. I've gone from hifiman Re-400 to Etymotic HF5 (which I thought were good for the $) to Shure 215 which arrived yesterday for about $80 on Amazon. I like both the Shure and Etymotic for different reasons. Each one has it's strong and weak points.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #7,787 of 12,271
You're right that it's more likely, I'm fantasizing mainly. Since they did the HE-350, an HE-5XX would be far more likely.

While I await the MrSpeakers electrostat, I'm curious to test my iCAN Pro on something picky like the HE-6.

Jun 30, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #7,788 of 12,271
You're right that it's more likely, I'm fantasizing mainly. Since they did the HE-350, an HE-5XX would be far more likely.

While I await the MrSpeakers electrostat, I'm curious to test my iCAN Pro on something picky like the HE-6.

I saw a pair of HE-6 in the FST section yesterday for 850.00,un-modded,advertised as "mint"
Cant do much better than that

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #7,789 of 12,271

I have the HE-6 and Pro iCAN. They are a wonderful pairing. The iCAN can drive the HE-6 with authority even at the medium gain setting.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #7,791 of 12,271
It might not come as a surprise, but RE-2000 is one of the best IEMs for everything, including metal.

For two grand they better be-holy crap! I'm not spending over $150 or so. I don't see using IEMs for dedicated listening and don't really like IEMs (things sticking in my ear canal isn't my favorite) other than utility when I'm at the gym, etc.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #7,792 of 12,271
For two grand they better be-holy crap! I'm not spending over $150 or so. I don't see using IEMs for dedicated listening and don't really like IEMs (things sticking in my ear canal isn't my favorite) other than utility when I'm at the gym, etc.

They actually are amazing....... They cost 2 grand, but the sound is far from the typical sound of a IEM or headphone - truly an enlightening experience.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #7,793 of 12,271
I have the HE-6 and Pro iCAN. They are a wonderful pairing. The iCAN can drive the HE-6 with authority even at the medium gain setting.

I'll keep trying to find a decent deal on and HE-6. I see you also have the iESL already, nice! Having that might tempt me to dig into vintage electrostats.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #7,794 of 12,271
I'll keep trying to find a decent deal on and HE-6. I see you also have the iESL already, nice! Having that might tempt me to dig into vintage electrostats.
Yes, I have had the iESL for a few weeks now. It does great with my Stax L700's. As it can also run normal bias Stax estats I am tempted to try some vintage Stax cans too! I heard the SRX Mk III Professional on the iESL last weekend and it did well. Those can be had pretty cheaply now. The iESL is an incredibly flexible and good sounding unit. I compared it at a friends house to his KGHSSV Carbon and the iCAN/iESL combo got in the ballpark. The Carbon was clearly better but the iCAN/iESL was probably 80% or more of its quality level.

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #7,795 of 12,271
I've been enjoying my Shure SE215 more than I thought it would. Coming from Hifman's RE-400 and then Etymotic hf5 (which I liked quite a bit for the detail and clarity), these guys have more bass presence, a warmer sound sig and recessed highs-normally not a good thing, but it makes this little IEM very forgiving of poorly recorded metal and sound quite good with low-fi recordings, but, it could use more extension and and sparkle in the highs. Still for a sub $100 IEM, I'm impressed.

All of which has me musing, would I ever want to spend more as I have on over-ears on an IEM? I'm not sure. I've never used IEMs for dedicated and primarily use IEMs at the gym, sometimes doing yard work, particularly leaf removal in the fall-my property backs to woods and have a ton of trees. But, as a teacher, I could use them at work at the end of the day as an alternative to some Grados I keep in my desk with a little Nuforce Icon DAC/amp that I use primarily to stream BAndcamp, and maybe in my van. My CDP/radio went out a little while ago and I replaced it with a cheapie that sounds like, schiiit.

Still, I'm just not sure my sources warrant a multi hundred dollar expense-I've always kept things at or under $100 as I've abused my IEMs-even at the gym, the cable can easily get caught on something and rip out of my ears or source. Really just use an Ipod most of the time or a cell phone for some streaming. I don't really like the feeling of IEMs in my ears, but I do like the low profile nature, the ability to store in a glove compartment/backpack/pocket and the ability to whip them out when out and about without big over-heads.

Dobrescue George recommended a $1,000 IEM, but I don't see spending anywhere near that. No doubt it's awesome, but if I lost it, I would sit down and cry like a baby-haha!

The Shure 415 is about $300 which Jude lists as his favorite "sweet spot" in the Shure line, and I saw on a blog of b
est IEMS for rock a recommendation of Wetsone UM Pro 30 as their recommendation of the best IEM for heavy metal. It's about $400 on Amazon-way more than I thought I'd ever spend. I'd be interested in any of your thoughts re: pricy IEMs relative to un-amped portable sources.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #7,796 of 12,271
I've been enjoying my Shure SE215 more than I thought it would. Coming from Hifman's RE-400 and then Etymotic hf5 (which I liked quite a bit for the detail and clarity), these guys have more bass presence, a warmer sound sig and recessed highs-normally not a good thing, but it makes this little IEM very forgiving of poorly recorded metal and sound quite good with low-fi recordings, but, it could use more extension and and sparkle in the highs. Still for a sub $100 IEM, I'm impressed.

All of which has me musing, would I ever want to spend more as I have on over-ears on an IEM? I'm not sure. I've never used IEMs for dedicated and primarily use IEMs at the gym, sometimes doing yard work, particularly leaf removal in the fall-my property backs to woods and have a ton of trees. But, as a teacher, I could use them at work at the end of the day as an alternative to some Grados I keep in my desk with a little Nuforce Icon DAC/amp that I use primarily to stream BAndcamp, and maybe in my van. My CDP/radio went out a little while ago and I replaced it with a cheapie that sounds like, schiiit.

Still, I'm just not sure my sources warrant a multi hundred dollar expense-I've always kept things at or under $100 as I've abused my IEMs-even at the gym, the cable can easily get caught on something and rip out of my ears or source. Really just use an Ipod most of the time or a cell phone for some streaming. I don't really like the feeling of IEMs in my ears, but I do like the low profile nature, the ability to store in a glove compartment/backpack/pocket and the ability to whip them out when out and about without big over-heads.

Dobrescue George recommended a $1,000 IEM, but I don't see spending anywhere near that. No doubt it's awesome, but if I lost it, I would sit down and cry like a baby-haha!

The Shure 415 is about $300 which Jude lists as his favorite "sweet spot" in the Shure line, and I saw on a blog of b
est IEMS for rock a recommendation of Wetsone UM Pro 30 as their recommendation of the best IEM for heavy metal. It's about $400 on Amazon-way more than I thought I'd ever spend. I'd be interested in any of your thoughts re: pricy IEMs relative to un-amped portable sources.

I'm using the V-Moda Zn as my everyday IEM. They sound great with metal. And I use them on my hour commute, very comfortable under a motorcycle helmet. Probably the most expensive IEM's I will ever buy, for the same reasons you list. ($180)

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #7,797 of 12,271

I agree the SE425 are the sweet spot in the Shure lineup, they are really great IEM's, and do rock and metal very well.

I also have the Hifiman RE2000 and the RE800, both do rock and metal well, but the RE800 has the edge, it is slightly leaner and quicker.

I wouldn't recommend the UM Pro30 for metal, it is a dark sounding IEM, non fatiguing but definitely on the thick side of sound, not very airy in presentation.

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #7,798 of 12,271

It's actually probably the best time possible to be in the market for a mid-priced IEM. There has been a flood of great flagship stuff in the past couple of years, but not much excitement in the more accessible $200-$300 range. I feel that has really changed this year.

I just reviewed the Periodic Beryllium a couple of months ago, I feel like that one is a big-time contender at $299:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazi...dio_Beryllium_In_Ear_Monitors_IEMs_Review.htm

FWIW, I know Jude is a big fan of it as well, he and I were chatting about it at CanJam SoCal. I find the Periodic Be is a strong choice for prog, death, metalcore, thrash - basically the faster and more demanding genres.

Another impressive entry into this new school of affordable IEMs is the 1MORE Quad Driver ($199), which I also just reviewed:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0617/1MORE_Quad_Driver_IEM_Review.html

I feel the Quad is a bit better suited for sub-bassy stuff - it destroys with industrial. If you happen to like EDM, it's obviously killer for that, too. For most of my metal listening I would prefer the Periodic Beryllium.

There is also a new IEM being introduced by Acoustic Research in the next month or two called the AR-E10, which is priced at $199. That one has 1 balanced armature and 1 beryllium dynamic driver and may turn out to be the best out of all of them. I've heard it on a couple occasions now and was floored by the performance both times I heard it... I'm anxiously awaiting the final version, as I have a feeling it has the potential to be a giant killer.

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #7,799 of 12,271
Hey metal heads! So in my quest for computer audio upgrade, I may want to upgrade my Schiit Magni amp. I know it's a budget amp, but it's a fairly good budget amp. The Modi and Magni were my first dedicated desktop DAC/AMP combo. Should bump up to a Schiit bigger brother or something different like the Little Dot MK III SE? Massdrop has a good price it seems.

I currently have 2, soon to be 3 good headphones. The Audio Technica ATH-M50's, these were my first "expensive" pair of headphones and still love them a lot. Listening to streaming Bandcamp (discover metal) as I write this. I also own the Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs. Sadly I haven't spent much time with them since the M-50's are more portable friendly. That, and I moved to a much larger house with my own office soon after receiving them. I can't wear headphones and hear my family at the same time. And finally, I have the AKG-7XX shipping from Massdrop. I chose them to experience an open back headphone.

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #7,800 of 12,271
Funny, I also had the ATH-M50 at work and the AKG-K701 at home when I first got back into headphones in '06! The clamping force of the M50 was too uncomfortable for me (maybe later versions were better) and I upgraded to the Denon AH-D2000. I still have my K701s, I use them in the living room for TV and movies mainly. Their big soundstage is great for that.

I recommended the Schiit Fulla 2 to a friend on a budget and he's really happy with it. Until you get harder to drive headphones, it seems what you have would still work well? I was looking at the deals thread, and Adorama had a great sale last week on the iFi micro iDSD Black Label for around $300. See a deal like that again and I'd snatch that up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back