Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 28, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #7,576 of 12,280
Yes, hansotek recommended I give it a proper try now that I have a decent amp and DAC. For now, I'm keeping the Teaks as my bassy headphone, and I have an AEON on the way. I'm planning to keep the 560s for when I want something open, when gaming, or am in the mood for super detail and a dash of brightness.

I just sold my sweet ZMF Ori Blackwoods. They were my favorite of all the ZMFs I've tried.

I'm hoping to remain content w/ the LC for now, and possibly upgrade the DAC, and just use the Mojo at work, but I believe I'm starting to hit a wall of diminishing returns at my price point. I know there's better gear, but I feel like I have to spend over a grand for "better" headphones (an Ether), a DAC (Schiit Gumby) or an amp... which I don't even know where to go to from here w/out spending tons of cash.

Let me know if you come across another DAC or amp under $1000 that's clearly better with a variety of headphone sound sigs.

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #7,577 of 12,280
Yes, hansotek recommended I give it a proper try now that I have a decent amp and DAC. For now, I'm keeping the Teaks as my bassy headphone, and I have an AEON on the way. I'm planning to keep the 560s for when I want something open, when gaming, or am in the mood for super detail and a dash of brightness.

I just sold my sweet ZMF Ori Blackwoods. They were my favorite of all the ZMFs I've tried.

I'm hoping to remain content w/ the LC for now, and possibly upgrade the DAC, and just use the Mojo at work, but I believe I'm starting to hit a wall of diminishing returns at my price point. I know there's better gear, but I feel like I have to spend over a grand for "better" headphones (an Ether), a DAC (Schiit Gumby) or an amp... which I don't even know where to go to from here w/out spending tons of cash.

Let me know if you come across another DAC or amp under $1000 that's clearly better with a variety of headphone sound sigs.
You're at a pretty solid price/perfomance inflection point. Both the Mojo and LC are devices that I personally consider to be benchmarks for p/p. You have to spend a lot more to get a notable improvement. Changes in the same price range will be more for flavor differences than anything else at this point.

Trust me, if I found anything as good as those two at the price, I'd be singing their praises non stop. :-D

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #7,578 of 12,280
Yeah, the only DAC that *might* be as good at the price is the iFI iDSD Black Label. The standard iDSD is very good for the $300 you can get it for. I think I slightly prefer the Mojo, however.

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #7,579 of 12,280
Yeah, the only DAC that *might* be as good at the price is the iFI iDSD Black Label. The standard iDSD is very good for the $300 you can get it for. I think I slightly prefer the Mojo, however.

I'm using BL as a full fledged DAC / AMP and portable AMP. It rocks my music and my world all the way, plus black metal BL + Black Metal FiiO X5ii + Meze 99 C, everything looks awesome!!!

Wg9aNov.jpg

trn0TLl.jpg

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #7,581 of 12,280
Hmm, I'm showing broken links on those images...

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #7,583 of 12,280
@Hansotek - have you heard the $400 iSine 10 yet, the little brother to the iSine 20? I'm curious how it stacks up to the $300 Periodic iem you just reviewed and the $550 iSine 20. The reviews I've read for both iSine models have been unanimously positive.

Also, just received my HE560s (great day for a vacation day!). Currently rocking out to my test tracks on Tidal HiFi --> Mojo --> Liquid Carbon. I'm impressed so far. The bass is nice and tight, and very high in quality. Just getting used to the lesser quantity compared to the bassier headphones I've been listening to for the last several months (ZMF Blackwoods, Beyerdynamic DT1770 and 1990, ZMF Ori, E-MU Teaks, iBasso IT03).

Imaging, soundstage and detail is on another level with this setup!

Also: Someone had a very tastefully modified HE500 on the classifieds for $600, but I saved over $150 going w/ the 560.

The iSine10 is good, but its one of those things were I wouldn't call it a "clear cut upgrade" compared to the Periodic. People could genuinely prefer either one or the other. Even if it ended up tilting the way of the iSine10, there would be a bit of subjectivity involved.

The iSine20 is much more clear cut. Pretty much any audiophile could listen to the iSine20 and the Periodic back-to-back and say, "Yeah, this iSine20 is clearly the better one." ... but it also costs $250-$300 more. FWIW, I would rank both of them as top values in their respective price classes.

Awesome that you got your HE560s today! It's a great headphone. I've always felt the speed, clarity and balance were really great for complex, progressive stuff!

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #7,584 of 12,280
You're at a pretty solid price/perfomance inflection point. Both the Mojo and LC are devices that I personally consider to be benchmarks for p/p. You have to spend a lot more to get a notable improvement. Changes in the same price range will be more for flavor differences than anything else at this point.

Trust me, if I found anything as good as those two at the price, I'd be singing their praises non stop. :-D

I agree. Price-to-performance ratio is tough to beat there.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #7,586 of 12,280
The new
So… not about metal per se, but this thread is very active when it comes to buying/selling/trading gear on the classifieds. How in the world do you bump your classified now? Is that no longer possible?

The new site didn't come with a very good built-in template for the classifieds, so they essentially have to rebuild it from scratch. It's going to be a couple of weeks or more before that section is patched up. What is there now is essentially a functional placeholder for what's to come.

I realize there are some frustrations with the redesign. Short story is, Wikia killed the Huddler platform - which is what Head-fi was built on - so they had no choice but to change the site platform. They ported over a ton of content, and got the site back up pretty quickly, all things considered. But they are going to be ironing a few things out here for a bit. It's going to require a little patience on our part, but Wiki killed Huddler for a reason. In the long run, I think we will all be more pleased with the next version of the site. It's just going to take a minute to get up to full speed.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #7,587 of 12,280
So… not about metal per se, but this thread is very active when it comes to buying/selling/trading gear on the classifieds. How in the world do you bump your classified now? Is that no longer possible?

Check the Tips link in my sig. It's got some workarounds for stuff like that and I've been trying to keep it updated.

Apr 29, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #7,588 of 12,280
The new

The new site didn't come with a very good built-in template for the classifieds, so they essentially have to rebuild it from scratch. It's going to be a couple of weeks or more before that section is patched up. What is there now is essentially a functional placeholder for what's to come.

I realize there are some frustrations with the redesign. Short story is, Wikia killed the Huddler platform - which is what Head-fi was built on - so they had no choice but to change the site platform. They ported over a ton of content, and got the site back up pretty quickly, all things considered. But they are going to be ironing a few things out here for a bit. It's going to require a little patience on our part, but Wiki killed Huddler for a reason. In the long run, I think we will all be more pleased with the next version of the site. It's just going to take a minute to get up to full speed.
Thanks a lot for this, makes total sense. I'm glad they were able to keep most of the functionality up to date. I see now why some content was lost. I have noticed that the site is a lot faster now, and some of the bugs with the old site that irritated me or were very outdated are now gone. I'm growing to like it, but it can be hard to find stuff sometimes. The update to the top right corner graphics were a big help to me.

Apr 29, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #7,589 of 12,280

Check the Tips link in my sig. It's got some workarounds for stuff like that and I've been trying to keep it updated.

Thanks you both. This is very helpful. Guess I don't have to go back to fleabay. /sigh_of_relief

Users who are viewing this thread

Back