Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 27, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #7,561 of 12,280
You'll get used to it. I've had my share of frustrations so far for sure, but I can tell this is going to be a far better format in the long run, once we've adapted and the last few bugs are worked out.

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #7,562 of 12,280
Apr 27, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #7,563 of 12,280
Nice! I need to check these out.

If you get a chance, try out the Ibasso it03 and let us know how it stacks up at $260. Despite its lack of cutting-edge tech, it sounds very good. Unfortunately, and surprisingly, long-term comfort is problematic for me.

But this definitely looks like a winner.

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #7,564 of 12,280
Apr 27, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #7,565 of 12,280
Oh hey everyone,there you are.It only took me a few minutes to find this thread again.Ive nothing of note to add,other than to mention im heading back out with my machette into this cyber cluster**** and try to find my other threads,try to understand why my metal thread links are now bricked and look for my missing CanJam badge.

If I dont return shortly,please send help

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #7,566 of 12,280
Oh hey everyone,there you are.It only took me a few minutes to find this thread again.Ive nothing of note to add,other than to mention im heading back out with my machette into this cyber cluster**** and try to find my other threads,try to understand why my metal thread links are now bricked and look for my missing CanJam badge.

If I dont return shortly,please send help

Some tips in here might help: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/new-forum-tips-and-tricks.845547

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #7,568 of 12,280
There are two really stellar options for you in that price neighborhood:

Audeze iSine20 ($549) - This absolutely makes the argument for the best metal IEM at any price. On metal specifically, it will hang with or flat-out destroy any IEM, including models that retail anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000+. That includes the Shure KSE1500, Empire Ears Zeus IVX, Noble K10 and Katana, Westone W60 and W80, OBravo EAMT-1, and the Campfire Andromeda... that's over $15k USD of extremely high-end flagship IEMs. The catch is, there isn't much isolation - it is essentially an open-back IEM. People can't really hear your music unless they are about six inches away from your head. From a couple feet away it pretty much sounds like quiet static to the person next to you. You can hear others as you would with an open headphone, it might cut outside noise by 6-10dB or so. Not ideal for airplanes or an assembly line. Perfect for an office job though. On the plus side, it has a bigger soundstage than any normal IEM and the frequency balance is pitch perfect for rock and metal.

If you need more isolation, there is option 2...

Jerry Harvey JH3X PRO ($599) - This is a custom (CIEM), so you'll need to get impressions, which might run you $50 or so at an audiologist, but you get isolation with a similar tuning to the iSine20 along with some pretty solid technicalities for about $100 more, when all is said and done. I wouldn't bother mentioning it if it wasn't a viable alternative - it is really phenomenal with rock and metal. But if you don't need the isolation, the iSine20 is less expensive and just a little bit better.

If you are really stuck below the $500 price point, the Periodic Audio Beryllium is very, very good at $299 and Acoustic Research will be releasing a hybrid IEM in a couple of months with a beryllium dynamic driver and 1 balanced armature. That one really outperforms it's price point at $199, but they have not settled on the final, final, final tuning. The last version I demoed was close... but they were still tweaking the midbass so I don't want to start recommending it for metal until I know where that nets out.

If I were in your shoes though, I'd grab the iSine20, unless I needed the extra isolation.

Cheers!
that's very good recommendation, i will audition them soon

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #7,571 of 12,280
I hate to say that but geez I don't like the new head-fi website.

The admins and mods are very sensitive to this sort of discussion. Tread lightly.

Oh comon...they've been very lenient with all the complaining. I've already been moderated once for asking someone to stop complaining so much because that (apparently) is a personal attack. They're only moderating stuff that breaks forum rules, like always.

Feedback on the site is fine and even welcome; there's a dedicated thread for bug reports and feedback, etc and I encourage folks to go vent in there. But I would kindly request that we keep threads like this on topic so those of us that are sick of reading the same complaints over and over can avoid them if we so choose.

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #7,574 of 12,280
@Hansotek - have you heard the $400 iSine 10 yet, the little brother to the iSine 20? I'm curious how it stacks up to the $300 Periodic iem you just reviewed and the $550 iSine 20. The reviews I've read for both iSine models have been unanimously positive.

Also, just received my HE560s (great day for a vacation day!). Currently rocking out to my test tracks on Tidal HiFi --> Mojo --> Liquid Carbon. I'm impressed so far. The bass is nice and tight, and very high in quality. Just getting used to the lesser quantity compared to the bassier headphones I've been listening to for the last several months (ZMF Blackwoods, Beyerdynamic DT1770 and 1990, ZMF Ori, E-MU Teaks, iBasso IT03).

Imaging, soundstage and detail is on another level with this setup!

Also: Someone had a very tastefully modified HE500 on the classifieds for $600, but I saved over $150 going w/ the 560.

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #7,575 of 12,280
That's a sweet setup. I used something similar for a long time as my main rig (DAC-19 -> LC -> HE-560) and loved it. I only got rid of the HE-560 when I upgraded my amp and I could hear the limits of the headphone's detail resolution. With the LC, it's a great combo.

Bass is definitely not on par with what you've been listening to, but I'd call almost every one of those you listed bass heavy. Bass on the 560 is a lot cleaner and more true to the recording while still offering some nice impact. I think the Ori complements the 560 really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back