Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 22, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #6,512 of 12,280
So I've been listening to the TH600 at work, then my aurisonics IEMs on the train, and he6 at home. At work I miss the openness and midrange of he6, and at home I miss the bass quantity. I might be chasing a unicorn here, but is there any set out there that combines the soundstage and midrange or he6 with the bass (quantity) of fostex?

Maybe the new ZMF Atticus ?

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #6,513 of 12,280
Not a big fan of beyer.does the Atticus have more bass? How about soundstage? Comparing to he6 that is..

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #6,514 of 12,280
Im really looking forward to hearing The Atticus at CanJam NYC next month,based primarily on Hanso's comments on them,however theyre 300ohms,which depending upon what your set-up at work is,might be a little difficult to get em screaming.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #6,515 of 12,280
Not a big fan of beyer.does the Atticus have more bass? How about soundstage? Comparing to he6 that is..

Atticus has more bass. Mids are close - better with some stuff, worse with others (Atticus has a bit more body but not as much air - amazing for vocals, but not as incisive or airy on guitars). Atticus soundstage is pretty sizable, but HE-6 is more spacious with certain amps with the back open - stock w/o one of the elite speaker amps, they are somewhat comparable. The thing is, the HE-6 soundstage varies so wildly from amp to amp it is hard to give a very specific comparison.

I'll go back to something that YtseJamer proposed a while back and add one more comparison to the mix. Atticus is kinda like Fostex TH-X00 bass + HE500 mids (w/ fuzzor mod) + HD600 highs (w/ a good cable and amp - in terms of frequency response).

It's kinda like:
Fostex (10-200Hz)
He500 (200-4,000Hz)
HD600 (4,000-20,000Hz)

Of course there are some differences here an there, but that's a rough idea.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #6,516 of 12,280
Thanks, very informative! Will see if anyone in tdot owns one..

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #6,517 of 12,280
So I'm probably going to sell my LCD-2fs for something else but I'm not sure what direction to head in. I'm keeping my LCD-2.2s (yeah I got both, a bit excessive) as they are unreal for certain kinds of hard rock and some very specific metal albums, as well as female vocals but I just find them too lacking in the treble department to really be good for metal (specifically mostly black metal, with a bit of thrash and crust/dbeat on the side). I've got an HE-6 as well which is also fantastic for certain recordings but with some stuff I dislike the presentation (usually this is with poorer recordings especially). Honestly my go to at the moment for a lot of my harder, rawer stuff are my old HD595s which are pretty awesome through my Lyr/upgraded tubes. One aspect I really like about them that I find I miss in the other (far more expensive) cans are how the guitar and whatever growling/screaming/yelling is absolutely at the forefront, always. With the HE-6 (again, only really an issue with poor recordings - which most of BM is) everything is a bit more "spread out". I've got way better soundstage but some of the energy is gone. 

Anyways, no idea what direction to go in. What I would want ideally is some of the high resolution sound of my HE-6s and LCDs while keeping the guitars at the absolute forefront. I really don't care about soundstage for the most part when it comes to black metal. I mean it's definitely a nice bonus when it's there, it's always cool to be able to place where the musicians are in the room, but not if it comes at the cost of the other things I'm looking for. Any ideas? 

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #6,519 of 12,280
So I'm probably going to sell my LCD-2fs for something else but I'm not sure what direction to head in. I'm keeping my LCD-2.2s (yeah I got both, a bit excessive) as they are unreal for certain kinds of hard rock and some very specific metal albums, as well as female vocals but I just find them too lacking in the treble department to really be good for metal (specifically mostly black metal, with a bit of thrash and crust/dbeat on the side). I've got an HE-6 as well which is also fantastic for certain recordings but with some stuff I dislike the presentation (usually this is with poorer recordings especially). Honestly my go to at the moment for a lot of my harder, rawer stuff are my old HD595s which are pretty awesome through my Lyr/upgraded tubes. One aspect I really like about them that I find I miss in the other (far more expensive) cans are how the guitar and whatever growling/screaming/yelling is absolutely at the forefront, always. With the HE-6 (again, only really an issue with poor recordings - which most of BM is) everything is a bit more "spread out". I've got way better soundstage but some of the energy is gone. 

Anyways, no idea what direction to go in. What I would want ideally is some of the high resolution sound of my HE-6s and LCDs while keeping the guitars at the absolute forefront. I really don't care about soundstage for the most part when it comes to black metal. I mean it's definitely a nice bonus when it's there, it's always cool to be able to place where the musicians are in the room, but not if it comes at the cost of the other things I'm looking for. Any ideas? 

Have you ever tried a grado can?

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #6,520 of 12,280
How's the Sony MDR-Z7 for metal? Is it too muddy and slow? I know it's been described as warm, comfortable and has a big soundstage.

I wasn't a big fan of it. The bass presence is large, but very soft. I prefer bass with good impact and snappiness to it for metal. The rest of the spectrum was alright, but nothing jumped out at me and made me really get into my metal.

Definitely the most comfortable of headphones I've ever worn, though.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #6,521 of 12,280
  I wasn't a big fan of it. The bass presence is large, but very soft. I prefer bass with good impact and snappiness to it for metal. The rest of the spectrum was alright, but nothing jumped out at me and made me really get into my metal.

Definitely the most comfortable of headphones I've ever worn, though.

Yeah, thanks for the impressions. I definitely wouldn't like it for metal then. Sounds pretty sweet for gaming, though. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #6,522 of 12,280
I am gonna go try out the MDR-Z1R at a local shop today. Way above my budget but I might go crazy who knows 
wink_face.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #6,524 of 12,280

I would suggest an AKG K240 sextett.Nothing beats its ability to bring guitars forward! Yes theyre old,and you need to buy used,but one can be had for under 140.00.

The easiest part is you dont like em theyre easy to resell due to its rareness. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #6,525 of 12,280
  I would suggest an AKG K240 sextett.Nothing beats its ability to bring guitars forward! Yes theyre old,and you need to buy used,but one can be had for under 140.00.

The easiest part is you dont like em theyre easy to resell due to its rareness. 

There's a pair available here : http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649328060-akg-240-sextett-600-omh-austria-made/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back