Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 24, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #3,766 of 12,280
I do confirm, that oppo pm3 are good for metal. I've just been listening metal in them since morning for 5 hours. Very good. They have all the advantages of multi-layer planar bass and being closed they are pretty punchy (as opposed to the majority of open planar cans).
excellent combination.

The topic starter should try and evaluate them.  

They have surprised me too. For a closed can they feel very spacious and open. They are a very low profile too, I could go anywhere with them and not be self conscious.

I was contemplating buying the t70 again for portable use as I love their sound so much and the primes are proving just too bulky to leave the house. Now that I have heard the pm3 I might just go with them instead. I love the t70, but I am totally addicted to that planar sound at this point!

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #3,767 of 12,280
They have surprised me too. For a closed can they feel very spacious and open. They are a very low profile too, I could go anywhere with them and not be self conscious.

I was contemplating buying the t70 again for portable use as I love their sound so much and the primes are proving just too bulky to leave the house. Now that I have heard the pm3 I might just go with them instead. I love the t70, but I am totally addicted to that planar sound at this point!

I bought them 4-5 months ago. Never regretted since. 
Though I bought pm3 exclusively as portables, to my surprise I found myself using them at home as well :)

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #3,768 of 12,280
This may have been discussed already so forgive me, but how many find the pm3 better than the HE400i? I really love the HE6 with metal and most everything except instrumental and classical for which the HD800 rules IMO.
Just curious about 400i vs pm3 since theyre similar pricewise

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #3,769 of 12,280
This may have been discussed already so forgive me, but how many find the pm3 better than the HE400i? I really love the HE6 with metal and most everything except instrumental and classical for which the HD800 rules IMO.

400i is open and a damn dear perfect metal headphone. If you have a well powered he6 just stick with that.

Pm3 is closed a portable. Very good for metal in you want a portable that looks good and goes anywhere. Can't compete with the 400i,but it serves a totally different purpose.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #3,770 of 12,280

The 400i are slightly better technically but I have MORE fun with the PM-3 because of their versatility and portability...and also because I can crank the sound without bothering my wife 
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #3,771 of 12,280
The 400i are slightly better technically but I have MORE fun with the PM-3 because of their versatility and portability...and also because I can crank the sound without bothering my wife :wink:

Well, ya, there is that. Whole reason I sold my 400i is cuz of the wife.....

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #3,772 of 12,280

What gap are you trying to fill with the new headphone?

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #3,774 of 12,280
^nothing really....just curious...lol

I like the PM-3. It's my go-to closed back, for sure. It's been well isolated and nicely accurate for tracking. Vocals are crystal-clear. You can hear a lot of nuance there - which is great for recording and just for kicking back an listening to tunes with nice vocals. Very good timbre for a closed back - doesn't sound artificial. Only a couple of small knocks on it... Upper treble is a bit rolled over 10khz, there is just a hair to much energy around 3khz making it a touch shouty, the midbass is just a pinch (like 0.5db) too thick, and IMO, the subbass could use a tiny boost. Fortunately, I think EQ helps it out tremendously, and like many planars, it EQs very well. I'm pretty sure I posted some notes and screen caps for EQing tips on it in this thread and/or the PM-3 thread. With that little fix (and actually, even without it) it's probably the best closed back under $400 by a pretty significant margin. Oh, and it's gorgeous and it's very solidly built. Really just a stellar product, IMO.

Can't offer much on the 400i anymore, it's been a while since I last heard one, so I can't really compare.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #3,775 of 12,280
I didn't care to much for the pm3 compared to my 400i. The soundstage and imaging took a noticeable hit IMO. Also a bit too laid back, but that's just my preferences.

If I needed a closed, portable headphone, I would no doubt have bought one after my 2 week trial.

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #3,776 of 12,280
Sorry to bother you again guys, but i have upped my budget and now i've to make a choiche, i have 300€ and the possibility to buy sennheiser hd 600 or hifiman he400s or fidelio X2, sadly many  headphones suggested in this thread (especially closed ones like thy mad dog) it's really pricy in my area, like, really pricy (650€ or more, and i don't know why!), so after many researches, i came down to these three, but i'm open to suggestion.
I mostly listen to black metal ( Satyricorn, Kampfar, old Ulver, Funeris Nocturnum, Inquisitor, etc.), other subgenres of metal, soundtracks and folk, goa, acustic, country and classical music.

Thank you in advance!

Ps: I have no problem with open headphones, my amp is the fiio q1 and i prefer the confort of over ear headphones, so sadly, no grado for me :frowning2:

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #3,777 of 12,280
I didn't care to much for the pm3 compared to my 400i. The soundstage and imaging took a noticeable hit IMO. Also a bit too laid back, but that's just my preferences.

If I needed a closed, portable headphone, I would no doubt have bought one after my 2 week trial.

An open headphone will always beat a closed one head-to-head, IMO.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #3,778 of 12,280

Yep, just wanted to share my thoughts between the two, since somebody was asking.  Both headphones serve totally different purposes.  In the closed, full-size portable world, the pm3 reigns supreme at that price bracket.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #3,779 of 12,280

Yep, just wanted to share my thoughts between the two, since somebody was asking.  Both headphones serve totally different purposes.  In the closed, full-size portable world, the pm3 reigns supreme at that price bracket.

You're totally right. Unless you really need isolation the 400i will be the better sounding headphone.

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #3,780 of 12,280
Sorry to bother you again guys, but i have upped my budget and now i've to make a choiche, i have 300€ and the possibility to buy sennheiser hd 600 or hifiman he400s or fidelio X2, sadly many  headphones suggested in this thread (especially closed ones like thy mad dog) it's really pricy in my area, like, really pricy (650€ or more, and i don't know why!), so after many researches, i came down to these three, but i'm open to suggestion.
I mostly listen to black metal ( Satyricorn, Kampfar, old Ulver, Funeris Nocturnum, Inquisitor, etc.), other subgenres of metal, soundtracks and folk, goa, acustic, country and classical music.

Thank you in advance!

Ps: I have no problem with open headphones, my amp is the fiio q1 and i prefer the confort of over ear headphones, so sadly, no grado for me :frowning2:

Imo, the x2 is too slow for metal and a bit veiled to my ears for your chosen music. The hd600 might not be amped very well with the q1. The he400i will be fine with your amp and music. YMMV of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back