Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 18, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #1,291 of 12,329
Did someone mention me? =D

Back to dynamics, I've also heard the Focal Spirit Pro punches really hard, has good isolation, little-to-no amping needs and sounds good with metal. I haven't heard them personally, but I know Music Alchemist is pretty into them... so you could ask him.

Yeah, I love the Focal Spirit Professional, but for most people, there are going to be comfort issues due to the size of the ear pads. Even though they totally surround my ears, it's still a somewhat tight fit, so for some people, they would be on-ear, not over-ear. There are also build quality problems that some people encounter. Aside from that, the sound is pretty nice -- very close to neutral, but still a little too dark to be perfectly neutral, which is the main reason I'm selling my second pair.

The FS Pro seemed like it might be a match... I meant to tag you, but I guess I missed that step.

May 18, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,292 of 12,329

My favorite review of ultrasone
rolleyes.gif

lol, yeah, that's not exactly their best model.

Every time I listen to Ultrasones...

May 18, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #1,294 of 12,329

I'm sure he'll get around to updating it. hehe. If it's more neutral than not only the Focal Spirit Professional, but also the Sennheiser HD 800 and STAX SR-009, then I'm even more interested. The PM-3 is already on my wish list, along with the PM-1...but there's no way its sound quality is going to surpass those flagships, even if its tonal balance does.

Haven't tried FSP so no comparison here, but can nonetheless warmly recommend PM-3. These are fab with black/death/doom especially (the somewhat limited soundstage might affect sub-genres such as prog or symphonic metal). Not in danger of replacing my Audeze LCD-2 at home, but fantastic as portable and at office. See my comments (confirming key points of money4me247's excellent review) on page 83.

May 21, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,296 of 12,329
With the Yamaha HPH-MT220 on high volume, "Winter Bliss" by Demoncy is pounding my skull.

By the way, this is my new favorite. Brief thoughts from yesterday:

Got the Yamaha HPH-MT220 today. Working on a full-length review, though I may give up and never publish it. lol

In my opinion, the 220 has less problems than the FSP and 7506. Far superior build quality and comfort. Unlike the FSP and 7506, I don't feel the need to push the ear pads closer to my ears to enhance the sound. In fact, when I do that, the sound doesn't change at all. The trade-off is that my ears press up against the drivers at all times, which is the only minor comfort issue. Bass sounds less boosted than the FSP, but still substantial -- perhaps still boosted a little above neutral. No major problems with the treble. But the mids are too recessed. This review says that after burn-in, it becomes much more transparent. Here's hoping. Despite the issue with the mids, the 220 sounds the most neutral to me overall, since the 7506 is too bright and harsh in the treble and the FSP has too much bass and not enough mids and treble. 7506 has better vocal reproduction. FSP still has better physicality. Tons more info I could share, but I'll save it for later.

May 23, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #1,297 of 12,329
During my brief demo with the Focal Spirit Pro I also enjoyed them for metal. The headphone picks out transients very nicely which are great for guitar work and they have a nice punchy sound. I agree they could do with more treble presence but there are not as dark as the Fidelio L1s. Unfortunately the FSPs are very uncomfortable for me and I declined to purchase them. Still waiting for Focal to fix the ergonomics.

May 23, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #1,298 of 12,329
If any of you guys want some extreme black metal to test headphones with, listen to these Antaeus and Aosoth albums!

(But get the CDs or official downloads instead of using YouTube if you want the best sound quality.)

During my brief demo with the Focal Spirit Pro I also enjoyed them for metal. The headphone picks out transients very nicely which are great for guitar work and they have a nice punchy sound. I agree they could do with more treble presence but there are not as dark as the Fidelio L1s. Unfortunately the FSPs are very uncomfortable for me and I declined to purchase them. Still waiting for Focal to fix the ergonomics.

I like the Yamaha HPH-MT220 even more than the FSP. It has much better build quality and comfort and is only $150 (instead of $399) now.

May 24, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,299 of 12,329
Beyerdynamic =
beyersmile.png
  Be(y)erdynamic =
beerchug.gif

May 24, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #1,300 of 12,329
To anyone who read my thoughts on the Yamaha HPH-MT220: after modifications and experimentation, it now blows away most headphones I have heard in terms of realism.

I found a simple tweak that makes the mids more upfront: move the ear pads back so your ears are near the front instead of in the middle! I also discovered that removing the gauze I put under the pads makes them sound...harsher. hehe

Update 1: Now I listened with the gauze added in again + moving my ears to the front. Instead of making the mids more upfront and sounding harsher, it just sounds more bassy and bloated. Maybe I put too much gauze in. We'll see how it sounds with half the amount of gauze...

Update 2: That did the trick! With half the amount of gauze and my ears moved to the front, now it sounds much brighter! Kind of a good and bad thing. In this configuration, though the mids are more upfront (not necessarily upfront enough to be accurate), the treble is sometimes too upfront. But this is easily the most engaging sound I've heard from the headphone. Really glad I found something so simple and easy to help solve the problem I had with the mids, even if it's a compromise. Much of the time, the treble still isn't problematic. And that juicy bass is always there to enjoy. I :two_hearts: feeling these vibrate on my head.

All you MT220 owners: move your ears to the front of the pads and witness how much more alive and exciting it sounds!

Also: it's my birthday today! What a neat gift to give myself. lol :)

Crazy: my best friend and I have the same birthday, yet we did not realize this until today!

Beyerdynamic =
beyersmile.png
  Be(y)erdynamic =
beerchug.gif

I thought it was interesting how they insist on not capitalizing their company name: beyerdynamic. Also, the first three letters are pronounced like buy, not bay. haha

May 24, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #1,301 of 12,329
@Music Alchemist

Happy birthday!!!
beerchug.gif

Is it possible for you to briefly compare DT880, FSP and MT-220, please? especially for listening to Funeral & Drone Doom and Ambient music? Which one has better Sub-bass / Bass / Mids / Highs quality and soundstage depth and width?

Thanks in advance

May 24, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #1,302 of 12,329
So far only one out of about 25 bands I listened through my new DT990 600ohm was unlistenable with my standard listening volume. It was a power metal band Alquimia De Alberto Rionda and the reason is singer's high-pitched voice, with treble encouraging production of the album on top of that.

Quote:
Also, the first three letters are pronounced like buy, not bay. haha

Hm, so the guy who sold them to me was actually pronouncing it correctly. Ok good to know. For me it's beerdynamic from now on anyway
beerchug.gif

May 24, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #1,303 of 12,329
Is it possible for you to briefly compare DT880, FSP and MT-220, please? especially for listening to Funeral & Drone Doom and Ambient music? Which one has better Sub-bass / Bass / Mids / Highs quality and soundstage depth and width?

I can only compare from memory.

The DT 880 is neutral-ish. Slightly bright. Not much impact. It sounded very smooth, gentle, and polite to me. Did everything fairly well, but in a way that was utterly boring, in my opinion. Things just didn't jump out at you like they should.

FSP is a little darker, but still close to neutral. No peaks in the frequency response. Has the best sense of physicality for things like snare drums. Bass is way better than the DT 880. Pretty punchy and engaging, but ultimately, it just sounded a little too recessed to serve as a reference headphone for me.

MT220 already sounded brighter to me than the FSP at first. Once I put gauze under the pads and moved my ears to the front instead of in the middle, the mids changed from recessed and dull to much more upfront. Sounds much more alive and exciting than the other two. The bass is a lot more satisfying: bigger and punchier, but still somewhat accurate. The treble is more accurate too, but has occasional emphasis that makes it sound a little cold, clangy, and mechanical. Easily my favorite overall.

I don't care much about soundstage. Headphones sound like headphones. You'll have to ask someone else about that.

Sorry I wasn't able to go into much detail. I'm lazy, that's all.

I'm selling all my audio gear for now, to make sure my expenses are covered. Kinda bummed about it...

May 24, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #1,304 of 12,329
And what are you going to be left listening with ?
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back