Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 14, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #1,261 of 12,351
  Thanks for pointing out then. 
wink.gif

With "DSP" are you referring to dedicated audio card, am I right?

The HRT dSP - linked to it in my post above.

Works with Android and iOS devices (separate version the idSP for iOS).

I see someone has mentioned the Dragonfly above for use with mobile - be aware in that case that it will only work with Android and will require the app USB Audio Player Pro (so no Spotify/Tidal etc, if that is relevant). The Android device will need to have USB OTG support, and while most do these days this is not universal. I love the DF 1.2 for my mobile use given I largely listen to local music, and the form factor is just too perfect (although it has been supplanted recently by the Oppo HA-2).

May 14, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,262 of 12,351

The HRT dSP - linked to it in my post above.

Works with Android and iOS devices (separate version the idSP for iOS).

I see someone has mentioned the Dragonfly above for use with mobile - be aware in that case that it will only work with Android and will require the app USB Audio Player Pro (so no Spotify/Tidal etc, if that is relevant). The Android device will need to have USB OTG support, and while most do these days this is not universal. I love the DF 1.2 for my mobile use given I largely listen to local music, and the form factor is just too perfect (although it has been supplanted recently by the Oppo HA-2).

I exclusively own Android devices (Note 4 now). Anyway, as I previously said, my focus is on desktop applications. Those times I play music from my smartphone, I'm fine with a straight connection to my in-ears; for the rest of the time I'm using a Sansa Clip, at least until I'll be able to afford a Fiio X1 or X3.

Quoting myself:

And you are right, just hoping not to mess with cables, but it might work well I guess.

Alright, I guess I've already borrowed a lot of your time and kindness guys, so to sum up, my options so far:
- Dedicated sound card (say about 70-80€) + "Cheap" DAP (Fiio X1 - 110€) = 180€
- Portable DAC/AMP (Fulla - about 85€) + "Cheap" DAP (Fiio X1 - 110€) = 200€
- "Expensive DAP" (Fiio X3 - 220€)

Plus, of course, the headphones, which is a HD449 - 60€ vs DT 770 Pro - 150€ fight (Good luck to my wallet).

So the final question is: which of the three options is going to deliver the best quality/price balance? Needless to say, to my non-audiophile mind the first option seems the more balanced and, moreover, the more logic. What do you think about that?

May I ask you what you think about this?

May 14, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #1,263 of 12,351
I'm selling my Focal Spirit Professional for $200, with all accessories. (Retails for $349.) It's my favorite headphone, pretty close to neutral, but still too dark for me, because I want something as close to neutral as possible. Anyway, that's probably the best headphone you can find for that price.

You had those for like, 15 minutes!

May 15, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #1,264 of 12,351

I'm not actually. Schiit Fulla was suggested mainly because of the low budget, the focus is on desktop application. Just curious: why not getting the Fulla for portable devices?

About the Beyer, they seem to be stable at 150€ here in Europe, lowest price I can find is 145€, though Amazon's price trackers say that last year they dropped to 130 for some time.

And you are right, just hoping not to mess with cables, but it might work well I guess.

Alright, I guess I've already borrowed a lot of your time and kindness guys, so to sum up, my options so far:
- Dedicated sound card (say about 70-80€) + "Cheap" DAP (Fiio X1 - 110€) = 180€
- Portable DAC/AMP (Fulla - about 85€) + "Cheap" DAP (Fiio X1 - 110€) = 200€
- "Expensive DAP" (Fiio X3 - 220€)

Plus, of course, the headphones, which is a HD449 - 60€ vs DT 770 Pro - 150€ fight (Good luck to my wallet).

So the final question is: which of the three options is going to deliver the best quality/price balance? Needless to say, to my non-audiophile mind the first option seems the more balanced and, moreover, the more logic. What do you think about that?

X3K all the way. 

Other options are solid, but this gives the best price/performance ratio, you can use x3K on the go, it charges while being used for desktop, it has a microsd slot, it has a great UI, and you can change the UI.

About headphones, i would try them if i were you. Some headphones are amazing, depending on tastes. I would also consider sennheiser hd380pro, they fit your tastes even better.

May 15, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #1,265 of 12,351
As much as I know, Edifier R1280T are active speakers. Aren't they? 
wink.gif

I didn't notice which speakers you had. Just wanted to clarify to anyone who was reading.

This is my second pair, remember? Although it's my favorite so far, it just isn't good enough for me.

(And I've had it for many days now.)

May 15, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #1,266 of 12,351

I didn't notice which speakers you had. Just wanted to clarify to anyone who was reading.

This is my second pair, remember? Although it's my favorite so far, it just isn't good enough for me.

The most linear response is found in hd650, but with a rolled off treble. 

Flagships in general are not linear, at least not in my experience, even though i might not want a linear response, as there will always be improvements to the sound.

May 15, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #1,267 of 12,351
  The most linear response is found in hd650, but with a rolled off treble. 

Flagships in general are not linear, at least not in my experience, even though i might not want a linear response, as there will always be improvements to the sound.

HD 650 is pretty dark, man...darker than the Focal Spirit Professional, which is still not neutral enough for me.

May 15, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #1,269 of 12,351
Hi at all guys!
i'm searching a good pair of headphone for 200€ 
smily_headphones1.gif

I need them to be
- closed
- circum-aurali
- comfrtable (i'll use them for a lot of hours every day) 
- good isolation
- i like good bass 
smily_headphones1.gif
 now i have the sennheiser HD 439 for example
I'll use them for music most of all. The use wiil this:
-80% music: epic,gothic and power metal. plus a little of punk and classic (ost of games) music
-20% films and games

i saw the akg k550, there is some other good heaphone? 
smily_headphones1.gif
 i really don't like the 3 meters not detachable cable of the akg :/
also the akg k553 will be nice, but i don't know when they'll be avaible in europe :frowning2: 
other than this i saw:;
-senn urbanite XL: they seems very comfortable and goodlooking :)
- sony mdr -1A: for what i read this is the new version of the 1r
Audio Technica Pro ATH-M50X: are this so good? they don't seems much comfortable, also they are ugly :/

Wich of these is the best?i really like the aennheiser urbanite, but they sound good? 
Also i tried some sony's headphone, but they usually have very low bass for what i heard :/

May 15, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #1,270 of 12,351
Hi at all guys!

i'm searching a good pair of headphone for 200€ :)

I need them to be

- closed

- circum-aurali

- comfrtable (i'll use them for a lot of hours every day) 

- good isolation

- i like good bass :)  now i have the sennheiser HD 439 for example

I'll use them for music most of all. The use wiil this:

-80% music: epic,gothic and power metal. plus a little of punk and classic (ost of games) music

-20% films and games

i saw the akg k550, there is some other good heaphone? :)  i really don't like the 3 meters not detachable cable of the akg :/
also the akg k553 will be nice, but i don't know when they'll be avaible in europe :frowning2: 
other than this i saw:;
-senn urbanite XL: they seems very comfortable and goodlooking :)
- sony mdr -1A: for what i read this is the new version of the 1r
- [COLOR=0066C0]Audio Technica Pro ATH-M50X: are this so good? they don't seems much comfortable, also they are ugly :/[/COLOR]

Wich of these is the best?i really like the aennheiser urbanite, but they sound good? 
Also i tried some sony's headphone, but they usually have very low bass for what i heard :/
not sure how much they cost in the Euroland but check out the Shure 1540.

May 15, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #1,274 of 12,351

Oh, I remember, lol. That's why I'm amused you sold them agian so quickly this time. What was it? A week?

May 15, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,275 of 12,351
Oh, I remember, lol. That's why I'm amused you sold them agian so quickly this time. What was it? A week?

Not sold yet! Still rockin' my Spirit Pro. \m/ Had it since the 11th. A local Head-Fi'er personally delivered it to me!

I'm thinking about getting the Yamaha HPH-MT220 next. Been meaning to try it out for awhile...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back