Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 14, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #1,246 of 12,330
Hi at all guys!
i'm searching a good pair of headphone for 200€ :)
I need them to be
- closed
- circum-aurali
- comfrtable (i'll use them for a lot of hours every day) 
- good isolation
- i like good bass :) now i have the sennheiser HD 439 for example
I'll use them for music most of all. The use wiil this:
-80% music: epic,gothic and power metal. plus a little of punk and classic (ost of games) music
-20% films and games

i saw the akg k550, there is some other good heaphone? :) i really don't like the 3 meters not detachable cable of the akg :/

May 14, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #1,247 of 12,330

That is a rather interesting option, I have to say. That thing looks really nice, and by the way I love their humour. 
biggrin.gif

The only problem is: how am I going to drive my speakers? Buying a DAC/Amp would let me drive "any" headphones in a good way, but would leave my speakers to be driven by the motherboard integrated audio card, whereas a dedicated audio card like Xonar DX or Sound Blaster Z would allow me to drive both. I mean, with the same money I can drive two things (with audio card) on one side, or just one (with DAC/Amp) on the other.
Also, since I'd also like to upgrade my portable media player (was planning to get a Fiio X1), shouldn't I also consider getting a Fiio X3, which can be used as a DAC/Amp in the same way Fulla does, but would also serve me as a portable media player? Obviously, this would not sole the problem with speakers too. Of course, I have no idea what the quality difference might be, I may just be saying something really stupid.

And so here comes the question: how remarkable is the difference between 80Ohm and 250Ohm DT 990 Pro versions, in terms of sound quality?

I had only tested the lower impedance one, i guess that you should ask someone who has both or more, or read more.

If you would get x3K, you get a great DAP, a gread DAC, a great AMP, everything in one device. I strongly advice this path. You can use it with headphone out for your headphones, line out to your speakers. It should be able to drive the 250 OHM version too. 

I managed to make it drive hd650, which are rated higher, but i loved hd650 more after adding something like e12 or e12a. It is a thing of taste, but as a basic, x3K will be enough for every task you will throw at it at this price point. 

May 14, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #1,248 of 12,330

That is a rather interesting option, I have to say. That thing looks really nice, and by the way I love their humour. 
biggrin.gif

The only problem is: how am I going to drive my speakers? Buying a DAC/Amp would let me drive "any" headphones in a good way, but would leave my speakers to be driven by the motherboard integrated audio card, whereas a dedicated audio card like Xonar DX or Sound Blaster Z would allow me to drive both. I mean, with the same money I can drive two things (with audio card) on one side, or just one (with DAC/Amp) on the other.
Also, since I'd also like to upgrade my portable media player (was planning to get a Fiio X1), shouldn't I also consider getting a Fiio X3, which can be used as a DAC/Amp in the same way Fulla does, but would also serve me as a portable media player? Obviously, this would not sole the problem with speakers too. Of course, I have no idea what the quality difference might be, I may just be saying something really stupid.

And so here comes the question: how remarkable is the difference between 80Ohm and 250Ohm DT 990 Pro versions, in terms of sound quality?

@AceDuff, the schiit magni 2 uber is exactly what you are looking for if you require an amplifier that can drive headphones & speakers.

portable dac/amps are different than daps (dedicated audio players), you will need to pair your portable dac/amp with a smartphone or other audio player. portable dac/amps can be used with PCs as well if you are on a tight budget and can only get one thing.

May 14, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #1,249 of 12,330
Hi at all guys!
i'm searching a good pair of headphone for 200€
smily_headphones1.gif

I need them to be
- closed
- circum-aurali
- good isolation
- i like good bass
smily_headphones1.gif
now i have the sennheiser HD 439 for example
-80% music: epic,gothic and power metal. plus a little of punk and classic (ost of games) music
-20% films and games

i saw the akg k550, there is some other good heaphone?
smily_headphones1.gif
i really don't like the 3 meters not detachable cable of the akg :/

I'm selling my Focal Spirit Professional for $200, with all accessories. (Retails for $349.) It's my favorite headphone, pretty close to neutral, but still too dark for me, because I want something as close to neutral as possible. Anyway, that's probably the best headphone you can find for that price.

May 14, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #1,250 of 12,330
Hi at all guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

I need them to be
- closed
- circum-aurali
- good isolation
- i like good bass
smily_headphones1.gif
-20% films and games

smily_headphones1.gif

Sennheiser hd380 pro, akg k550, ultrasone dj one pro. Any of these would be great!

May 14, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,252 of 12,330
Hi at all guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

I need them to be
- closed
- circum-aurali
- good isolation
- i like good bass
smily_headphones1.gif
-20% films and games

smily_headphones1.gif

I would recommend the akg k550 or new k553 as well. Do note I think it would be well worth the time to upgrade the earpads to Brainwavz HM5 earpads for a more comfortable fit and also note that the cable is non-removable on the k550. The akg k551 has a removable cable if you require that. 

May 14, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #1,253 of 12,330
Hi at all guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

I need them to be
- closed
- circum-aurali
- good isolation
- i like good bass
smily_headphones1.gif
-20% films and games

smily_headphones1.gif

I would recommend the akg k550 or new k553 as well. Do note I think it would be well worth the time to upgrade the earpads to Brainwavz HM5 earpads for a more comfortable fit and also note that the cable is non-removable on the k550. The akg k551 has a removable cable if you require that. 

Thanks for the answer :) I'm in Europe (Italy) and here the new 553 are dull not accessible :frowning2:
There are other headphone that you suggest? If not I'll wait for this to come in Europe :)

May 14, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,254 of 12,330
  I had only tested the lower impedance one, i guess that you should ask someone who has both or more, or read more.

If you would get x3K, you get a great DAP, a gread DAC, a great AMP, everything in one device. I strongly advice this path. You can use it with headphone out for your headphones, line out to your speakers. It should be able to drive the 250 OHM version too. 

I managed to make it drive hd650, which are rated higher, but i loved hd650 more after adding something like e12 or e12a. It is a thing of taste, but as a basic, x3K will be enough for every task you will throw at it at this price point. 

Yeah, the only problem is that I would have to place the Fiio behind my pc and then remove it when I go outside home and need it as a portable media player, and that would be uncomfortable. I guess where you're on a tight budget you have to make some sacrifices, though.

@AceDuff The schiit magni 2 uber is exactly what you are looking for if you require an amplifier that can drive headphones & speakers.

portable dac/amps are different than daps (dedicated audio players), you will need to pair your portable dac/amp with a smartphone or other audio player. portable dac/amps can be used with PCs as well if you are on a tight budget and can only get one thing.

Hoping not to say something stupid, as always: isn't an Amp leaving the "quality side" to be elaborated by the integrated motherboard? Cause my problem with high impedance headphones is not the only one, I also need to move from the integrated motherboard audio card towards a dedicated one (which is why we were talking about Schiit Fulla).

The Magni 2 Uber has preamp outputs for active monitors. It cannot drive passive speakers.

As much as I know, Edifier R1280T are active speakers. Aren't they? 
wink.gif

May 14, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,255 of 12,330
If you're looking for a portable DAC/amp and plan to pair it with a smartphone or tablet at all do not get the Fulla. Get the HRT Dsp/iDsp depending on the applicable ecosystems.

Also, heads-up that the Beyer cans are presently on Massdrop.

May 14, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,256 of 12,330

Yeah, the only problem is that I would have to place the Fiio behind my pc and then remove it when I go outside home and need it as a portable media player, and that would be uncomfortable. I guess where you're on a tight budget you have to make some sacrifices, though.

Hoping not to say something stupid, as always: isn't an Amp leaving the "quality side" to be elaborated by the integrated motherboard? Cause my problem with high impedance headphones is not the only one, I also need to move from the integrated motherboard audio card towards a dedicated one (which is why we were talking about Schiit Fulla).

As much as I know, Edifier R1280T are active speakers. Aren't they? 
wink.gif

They are active.

You can use long cables for keeping the DAP normally on the desk../

May 14, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #1,257 of 12,330
If you're looking for a portable DAC/amp and plan to pair it with a smartphone or tablet at all do not get the Fulla. Get the HRT Dsp/iDsp depending on the applicable ecosystems.

Also, heads-up that the Beyer cans are presently on Massdrop.

I'm not actually. Schiit Fulla was suggested mainly because of the low budget, the focus is on desktop application. Just curious: why not getting the Fulla for portable devices?

About the Beyer, they seem to be stable at 150€ here in Europe, lowest price I can find is 145€, though Amazon's price trackers say that last year they dropped to 130 for some time.

They are active.

You can use long cables for keeping the DAP normally on the desk../

And you are right, just hoping not to mess with cables, but it might work well I guess.

Alright, I guess I've already borrowed a lot of your time and kindness guys, so to sum up, my options so far:
- Dedicated sound card (say about 70-80€) + "Cheap" DAP (Fiio X1 - 110€) = 180€
- Portable DAC/AMP (Fulla - about 85€) + "Cheap" DAP (Fiio X1 - 110€) = 200€
- "Expensive DAP" (Fiio X3 - 220€)

Plus, of course, the headphones, which is a HD449 - 60€ vs DT 770 Pro - 150€ fight (Good luck to my wallet).

So the final question is: which of the three options is going to deliver the best quality/price balance? Needless to say, to my non-audiophile mind the first option seems the more balanced and, moreover, the more logic. What do you think about that?

May 14, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #1,258 of 12,330

I'm not actually. Schiit Fulla was suggested mainly because of the low budget, the focus is on desktop application. Just curious: why not getting the Fulla for portable devices?

Because the Fulla doesn't work with mobile devices. Wasn't entirely sure of your use-cases, so thought I would just point that out in case that was a relevant consideration. If desktop is the go I would certainly get the Fulla over the dSP (for reference I have the Fulla, the Dragonfly 1.2 and a few other portable DAC/amps).

May 14, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,259 of 12,330

The Fulla has a analog volume pot that may turn in your pocket and is a bit big for using in your pocket paired with a mobile device/dap.

If you want a desktop option that can turn into a portable option, I would suggest looking into USB dac/amps combos such as the audioquest dragonfly v1.2. To pair with iPhone/Android phones, you will need a special cable. I don't have an iPhone, but for Android, you will use an on-the-go (OTG) male micro usb to female usb 2.0 cable such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%C2%AE-2-Pack-Micro-USB-Adapter/dp/B00GM0OZ4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431640404&sr=8-1&keywords=otg+usb+cable

note that is just an example, there are many other options from many other vendors.

May 14, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #1,260 of 12,330

Because the Fulla doesn't work with mobile devices. Wasn't entirely sure of your use-cases, so thought I would just point that out in case that was a relevant consideration. If desktop is the go I would certainly get the Fulla over the dSP (for reference I have the Fulla, the Dragonfly 1.2 and a few other portable DAC/amps).

Thanks for pointing out then. 
wink.gif

With "DSP" are you referring to dedicated audio card, am I right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back