Headphones for light music and female vocals
Nov 19, 2008 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Buff

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I registered a while ago, but I am just now getting around to posting. I'm just looking for suggestions on some headphones. I prefer over-the-head phones. My budget is anything up to $400 for the headphones. The amp has a separate budget. I'm just getting into decent audio equipment.

I'd like these headphones to specialize in female vocals/light music/highs and mids. I'm not a bass head by any stretch of the imagination.

If your headphone recommendations require an amp, that's fine with me. I'm in the market for one of those too.

Desktop setup: Desktop PC -->Onboard sound card -> Headphones
Portable setup: 30GB Zune --> Headphones

Is there a USB DAC/AMP that can be used at the desktop and on the go? If so, recommendations. budget here is <$300

I hope I provided enough information to help, and I thank you for responses in advance.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 19
You can try the AKG K702/701...See if you like it.
k701smile.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 19
Grados are excellent for more airy light music like that. They aren't necessarily bass weak either. They have a nice open tone to them. I'd read up on some Grados if I were you. Also they are low impedance around 32 ohms I think so they wouldn't require an amp.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 19
^ I would say that grados dont need an amp but they certainly benefit from one. They need current, much like the 701s.

I would go k701/2 depending on the amp you get. Best phones I've heard with the type of sound sig you speak of. I don't have mine amped quite adequately yet, but I still absolutely love them. Whatever phones you get, make sure to match them to the amp you buy.

Also, if you go 701/702, you will save ~$100 on your phone budget witch you might be able to turn towards a better amp with your amp budget.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 19
I'll suggest the Denon AH D1001. Well below your budget, but these are sweet phones for fem vocals, acoustic music and mellow electronica. Nice 3D and very comfy.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 19
The AKG K501 is what you're looking for but unfortunately, is no longer in production. If you do find one, make sure you get a nice beefy tube amp and a good source for it. Good luck!

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 19
AKG is the way to go. K501 and 701/2 are already mentioned.
I can add to that the K601.
And if you don't mind used headphones, the K-400 and K-500 are also excellent cans for female and light music.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 19
For light music and female vocals, I prefer the AKG K-501, Beyerdynamic DT48 and the Sennheiser HD-600. All are in your budget, but all of them really need an amp to sound their best.

Given your budget, I'd probably look for a used set of one of the above. The DT48 isn't that easy to come by. Used ones turn up here and there on eBay and I think new ones are backordered. The K-501 is out of production, but AKG made a lot of them for years, so you can find one for $100-$150 used. The HD-600 is in production and shows up used around $200 regularly.

With the money you save, pick up a nice used tube amp in the For Sale Forum. Tubes are (usually) best for your music and will sound wonderful with any of those headphones.

For portable use, find an inexpensive IEM and run it directly from your Zune. I use the Shure e3c from an iPod and like it fine. They're not as good as full-sized cans with a desktop amp, but the mids and highs are good and they're very convenient to take along.

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 19
The kind of music you listen to definitely plays to the AKG K-501s strengths. You are describing exactly what they play best.

A good amp is a must. Have to differ with the tube boys/girls as a good solid state amp will also drive the K501 wonderfully.

Just as you'll have to look for a used K501 as they are out of production, so too you'll want a used amp that is already "burned in". You get a discount on the cost of the amp and someone else spent the time using it so that it will sound it's best.

This may be a good time to let us know what your budget is? Maybe we can help point you to an amp as well as the headphone.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 19
Wow thanks for the responses. I'm totally open to buying an ampt with headphones. Amp's budget is a seperate $400. So <$400 for the headphones and <$400 for the amp. Been waiting for a purchase like this for a while so I have about $800-900 saved that I can use for this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back