Headphones for Ladies?
Sep 18, 2002 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

SteveA

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All!

I've purchased a 5gig iPod for my wife's birthday. Ever since we saw one last year at the local Apple store, she has hinted from time to time how nice it would be to have one.

I ripped all her favorite tracks and downloaded them to the little rascal. An aside: the Windows version using MusicMatch worked well with no hitches or drama, just had to add a Firewire card to the PC, loaded the disc, and was good to go!

Her birthday is this weekend and I believe one possible issue might be the earbuds supplied. I've seen posts stating they do not sound great but I don't believe she will take exception to that aspect. Rather, I'm concerned about the comfort and fit. I've tried these and found them to not fit very well. Maybe my ears are larger and they will fit fine on her.

She works in a somewhat noisy office environment so some noise isolation is desirable. She does spend some time on the phone so whatever she uses will need to be easily removed. She wears earrings and also doesn't want to muss her hair. These last considerations plus the "dork" factor were what kept her from donning the Grado SR80s I provided for use with the boombox she has now.

Seemingly an ideal candidate for Etys which I would gladly buy for her. Unfortunately, I don't think she would be comfortable with these little guys planted in her ears.

So where does that leave me? I plan to give her the unit and try the stock buds (with a pack of Rat Shack foamies thrown in) and if they don't work we'll go to the local audio huts and try some options. Does anyone care to suggest some units for a short list? Or, if there are any ladies here, would you please share your insight?

Very best regards,
Steve

Sep 18, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 34
My vote would go to the Sony MDR-A44L VERTICAL, IN-THE-EAR HEADPHONES (VITE's). They're easy to put on and take off, and they sound great.

mdra44l.jpg

Available here:

http://r5.us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http:...top?itemid=351

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 34
It would probably help if you could list her preference in styles. Is she OK with ear buds? Does she prefer full size cans? Or will they muss up her hair?

Sep 18, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 34
I believe that if the phones are light enough with a narrow band, like the Sonys Rick mentions above, she might not take issue. Full size cans would likely require her to remove her earrings to wear. She does not like my Grado SR80s or my Sennheiser HD600s.

I'm really not sure if she will or will not like the buds. I think this will depend upon how well they fit and how relatively non-intrusive and inconspicuous they are.

Regards,
Steve

Sep 18, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 34
Headphone for ladies?

<------- Need I say more
biggrin.gif

Hmmmm. Joking aside, hair-friendly yet good-sounding and good-isolating phones are hard to find.

There's the KSC-50, which dangles from the ears from the top so would be earring-friendly even if the earrings are substantial (unless she has them 70's hoops). But they provide practically zero isolation with plenty of leak. Perhaps worth getting one just to try though? At $15-$20, you can hardly go wrong...

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 34
If she has a thin/small head, I agree with Tyll. If not, get a pair of KSC-35 while you still can (actually, buy two... you'll want one for yourself
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
or the KSC-50s, I suppose.

I dunno; they're a good deal bigger and heavier than the KSC-35, as well as being less secure and harder to put on, IMO. That's why I say to grab the 35 while you can!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 34
My friend bought (under my recommendation) a pair of KSC-35s, and now I know what all the hype is all about. I agree that they are FAR more comfortable than the -50's, which I sold.

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 34
Why would headphones for ladies be any different than headphones for men?
confused.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 34
I agree with you guys about the sound of the KSC 35's; (hell, I've stockpiled at least 10 pair for when times get tuff - then I'll sell 'em). The question is more about fashion and a "ladies" perspective. The 35's are difficult to put on and look like a couple of Leaches on your ears. Now I know us guys don't care about that kind of thing, but believe me, women do! Maybe the 55's would be good; at least the band could be hidden under the hair. They will not, however, be good for anyone with anything but a real small head.

Just some thoughts...

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Now I know us guys don't care about that kind of thing...

I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back