Headphones For Korean Pop
Oct 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

coolstorybro

New Head-Fier
Hey guys:) Wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for headphones that would be best suited to K-Pop? My budget is £150 and i will need some isolation so the headphones need to be closed, these will be for home use only and will be worn for hours at a time so will need to be comfortable also, any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks^^

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 25
Try n track down a JVC HAS600.. Portable headphone. Very good at isolation, fully circumaural and comfy. sounds great for all genres, portable smaller Hp., Easily driven out of any portable device. Full good clean sound with full on dynamic bass.. And best of all it is cheap.. Sounds fantastic however. You can buy an Amp and this HP for the cost of what you want to spend.

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #5 of 25
Thanks for the suggestions guys:) Also @Dsnuts, the headphones will be used with a pc only with an amp built in on a soundcard i already have:wink: Have heard alot of good things about the M50 so will certainly check those out, anymore suggestions would be more than welcome^^

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 25

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys:) Also @Dsnuts, the headphones will be used with a pc only with an amp built in on a soundcard i already have:wink: Have heard alot of good things about the M50 so will certainly check those out, anymore suggestions would be more than welcome^^

Hmm the M50. A bit overrated, and  for pop music I would actually go with Shures. I have both the M50 and Shure SRH440.. The problem with the M50s is that while they don't sound bad they have recessed mids and add to that a very confined small sound stage. Pop has a lot of vocals so you want good to great mids and the Shures certainly do that. They are a lot more smoother and technically balanced for your choice of music with a wider sound stage as well. The Shures for your needs is a better choice. Try n sample them and you will see what I mean. If not I will just say for any type of vocal music the Shures are better.

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 25
Oh ok, will certainly look into those, K Pop consists of pop/electropop/R&B/hip-hop although i listen to the pop/electropop side of it 95% of the time, do you have any opinions on the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro? I've been recommended those aswell but not sure how well they would suit my situation.

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 25
Unfortunately I don't own the DT770s but from what I have seen on them. Those seem like a good fit for your needs as well..They look comfortable too that is a huge positive. The Shures can use a bit more comfort I suppose.So the Beyers look like it is what you are looking for. The comfort on the Shures aren't terrible but the stock pads on them are stiff. Many change up to the SRH840 pads or just buy the SRH840. The DT770s..If there is a way you can sample them at a music store I would..The Shures as well. One word describe the sound on the Shures.  Smooth.  Perhaps too much so some might say a bit colored. But in a good way.  It seems both the Beyers and the Shures don't have that recessed mids issue. Both have proper bass as well not lacking in that department. The Beyers seem to have a more clinical detailed sound to them which can be a good thing. 

I think either one will be better for Kpop than the M50.. The M50 if you bought it you would have discovered how they are great for some music and not others. That is why they are over rated. There are much more better balanced cans out there for the money spent. These 2 that came up are just 2 of many.. The phone on my signature.. the Panasonic HTF600.. Astounding phone that trumps over the M50 for $30. For example.

Look at this thread it will shed some light on the DT770 vs M50 http://www.head-fi.org/t/574707/dt770-vs-m50

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 25
Thanks:) Leaning more towards the DT770's now, your right, there are alot of choices but i have no places near me where i can demo headphones unfortunately so i have to go off peoples opinions which again can be very subjective... so it's tricky choosing which one, but the DT770's seem like the safest option at this point.

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
Thanks:) Leaning more towards the DT770's now, your right, there are alot of choices but i have no places near me where i can demo headphones unfortunately so i have to go off peoples opinions which again can be very subjective... so it's tricky choosing which one, but the DT770's seem like the safest option at this point.

Great for Kpop (closed):

BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro's
Denon D2000's (used price).
Panasonic RP-HTF600's.
Shure SRH840's (and SR440's).

Very best,

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #11 of 25
Thanks everyone, in the end it came down to the SRH840's and the Beyer DT770 Pro's and after much head scratching i went with the latter in the end, adios
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 25
Alright, so i got the DT770's, and i thought they were....dissapointing, i mean honestly, they sounded no clearer than my Sennheiser HD215's and the bass seemed so overpowered, people will probably call me mad but there ya go:) I did let them burn in for around 70 hours but i still wasn't enjoying them at all, and to be honest unless the burn-in after 100/200 hours on these things is a night and day difference my dissapointment in them won't change so they're going back.

I ordered some M50's right away to see how these fared and boy was i BLOWN AWAY by these right out of the box, i'm finding the bass on these excellent because i find the headphones flesh it out but don't overdo it either like the DT770's.

I've also been testing out some Shure SRH880's (Ordered these from hifiheadphones, cancelled the order next day, got refunded fully, and erm...they got delivered today) and i was impressed with these aswell, they were alot more sharper and crisper than the DT770's, the bass is a little more laid back and i was having a debate whether to keep these or the M50's, but i get more enjoyment listening to music with the M50's so i'm going to keep that instead.

Just my two cents.

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 25
Does soundstage honestly matter?  Korean pop is the most synthetic stuff I've ever heard, and they're either poorly mastered with no spacial representation, or have no natural soundstage.  It's akin to someone asking for good soundstage to listen to Lady Gaga's earlier albums.  I'm glad the M50 fits the bill for you op.

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:
I've also been testing out some Shure SRH880's (Ordered these from hifiheadphones, cancelled the order next day, got refunded fully, and erm...they got delivered today) and i was impressed with these aswell

Just out of curiosity, did the store say it's ok to open the packaging and test them out? No offense meant, just that it sounds a bit strange doing that.

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #15 of 25
They're fine with people testing headphones out and accept returns on orders as long as the item has been kept in good condition, so i don't see why not, i mean i did order it but then cancel it, so it's their own fault for screwing up and sending it still, the fact is most people in my situation would just keep quiet and keep the headphones or sell them on for easy money, i doubt they'll be too unhappy when i let them know of their error and return it in excellent condition:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back