headphones for jazz
Feb 3, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #31 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you spot the ones who recommend headphones they didn't listen to, it could be quite helpfull

Are you telling me you have 1300+ posts and you have never seen someone post of a headphone they never owned?

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #32 of 65
@oldblueyez: well, that's a different view. So you mean that the HD650 can be the answer to all my prayers, if I put some work in getting the right preamp and change the tubes...? Problem no. one here, is that I've never owned a preamp, and know absolutely nothing about this topic :frowning2: Problem no. two is, that I'm a lazy listener, and if it's too much hard work finding the right setup, I could end up with the second (third, fourth and so on) best because of this lazyness...

So, do you have a suggestion for a preamp, that would make it (even with lower end stuff like my NAD reciever, NAD cd-player and sansui grammophone with audio technica cartridge)?

And do you have suggestions for one, two or three (if not too expensive) tubes, that would be appropriate for making the experiments?

Is it difficult to change the tubes in preamps?

It's allright, if you just tell me to grow up (maybe I will) - but is there an easy way through all this?

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #33 of 65
Yes, it is easy to change tubes in a preamp. It's about as tough as changing a lightbulb, though you won't have to change them very often. There's not a lot of power put out by a preamp, so with moderate use you could get 4-5 years or more from a set of tubes. Depends (of course), but you're not going to do it very often and then it'll just be a minute.

I reach for three headphones when I listen to jazz: the Sennheiser HD-600, the AKG K-501 and the Beyerdynamic DT48. The DT48 is my favorite of the three, but the other two are excellent headphones. It's just that the DT48 is fast, accurate and tonally spot on. Everything sounds natural and real on them. The AKG K-501 is similarly accurate and has great soundstage, but isn't as fast or detailed. The HD-600 is excellent all around, but isn't quite as excellent as the K-501 and DT48 are with acoustic material.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #34 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@oldblueyez: well, that's a different view. So you mean that the HD650 can be the answer to all my prayers, if I put some work in getting the right preamp and change the tubes...? Problem no. one here, is that I've never owned a preamp, and know absolutely nothing about this topic :frowning2: Problem no. two is, that I'm a lazy listener, and if it's too much hard work finding the right setup, I could end up with the second (third, fourth and so on) best because of this lazyness...

So, do you have a suggestion for a preamp, that would make it (even with lower end stuff like my NAD reciever, NAD cd-player and sansui grammophone with audio technica cartridge)?

And do you have suggestions for one, two or three (if not too expensive) tubes, that would be appropriate for making the experiments?

Is it difficult to change the tubes in preamps?

It's allright, if you just tell me to grow up (maybe I will) - but is there an easy way through all this?

I could tell you to copy the system in my signature but the Raptor has no outputs aside from the headphone jack. I would recommend looking at Jack Woo and Ray Samuels and see if they have something you like. The Woo WA2 looks like a very attractive preamp. I'm assuming you say preamp because you want it to be a part of your speaker rig as well. Even the WA3 can be used as a preamp. It sounds like you have a nice preamp so how bout just getting a headphone amp and using one of your NAD outputs to drive it? Save you a lot of money that way. a Loaded WA3+ would be great for your 650's and then you will have less tubes to roll. rolling tubes in a full blown preamp like the WA2 could get expensive since its got 6 tubes compared to the 3, 3+, or 6 at 3 tubes. As for tubes that is different for every amp and I have only rolled a Raptor but there are scads of threads for tube rolling a Woo amp. Here are some links to get you started.

Woo Audio High-End Tube Amplifiers - The Sound of Excellence
News - Ray Samuels Audio
Welcome to Mapletree Audio Design
www.tubeworld.com

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #35 of 65
I love my HD-600, and so far, I think that jazz is the best genre to highlight its particular strengths.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #36 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you telling me you have 1300+ posts and you have never seen someone post of a headphone they never owned?

Nope the complete opposite of that. I actually think that most of the people here make recommendations without ever hearing what they are talking about. Thats why I asked you to point them out if you could, so I know who I can ignore
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #37 of 65
Thanks a lot, so far! It's very helpful! Now I need to "study" for a while :wink:

I don't have a preamp (just called it preamp, 'couse I didn't know what else to call it). Headphone amp or canamp is better, I presume...), so I think it's the best thing for me to buy a preamp and connect it to my NAD reciever...

By the way: I know there may be lots of threads about this topic, but what would you say is the major difference between HD600 and HD650?

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #40 of 65
RS-1 aren't that amp dependent, money saver
biggrin.gif
! and LOL at Librarian, I just can feel your anger hahahah.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #41 of 65
Quote:

Unlike some of the others here I'm not going to speak of headphones I never owned.

Quote:

The Woo WA2 looks like a very attractive preamp.

You're just going to speak of amps you've never owned instead.
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #43 of 65
IMO for jazz, esp New Orleans jazz my Sextetts can't be beat. I owned the AKG 240S and swore they couldn't be bested....until i heard the 240 Sextetts. IMO the 600 don't have the seperation of the Sextetts.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #44 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/snip but what would you say is the major difference between HD600 and HD650?

FWIR and a brief listen of them (~15 minutes a piece) theres little difference other than price/cable/bass. Personally preferred the stock 600.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #45 of 65
if you prefer neutral sound, the akg701 is the neutral sounding can. i got a pair of 701s 2 years ago and didnt really like jazz. but the more i listened to different kinds of music jazz sounds the flat out best with 701. i just got the head direct ef-1 for an amp and highly reccomend it for these headphones. i listen to a lot more rock and roll since i got the amp because the amp supplies enough current to make the 701s really sing. if you do get 701s allow enough money in budget for good amp because it makes a huge difference for these headphones in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back