headphones for jazz
Feb 3, 2009 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

librarian

500+ Head-Fier
which headphones do you prefer for jazz?

for real old stuff like early New Orleans (jelly roll morton, bunk johnson, louis armstrong, king oliver, kid ory)?

and for 1950's and 1960's jazz from blue note, prestige, riverside?

I'm new in this forum, I have read a lot of threads through the last couple of weeks, but didn't find so much about headphones specially suited for jazz. At the time I'm using Beyer Dynamics DT770m, whick a great for reggae and some r&b, but sucks when it comes to jazz. I'm planning on getting me a real nice pair of "cans", and maybe a preamp for them as well...

I listen to vinyl as well as cd's - is there any major differences between the two, that I have to consider before I make my choice - or are most headphones well suited for both vinyl and cd's?

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 65
I'd strongly recommend the Sennheiser HD-600. However, what you get out of them will depend on the amp and source (DAC) you have. They are not the kind of headphone that is good for plugging into, say, your computer's sound card.

That being said, have you got any kind of budget? What are you plugging your DT770s into?

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 65
You really need to go have a listen to some headphones at a store if possible. There are 3 that I'd recommend. HD600s as Currawong said, but if you like a slightly more bass heavy presentation then 650s. Also consider the K701s as I know a lot of people like them for Classical and Jazz. You really need to have a listen and see which kind of sound you like. The Senns may be too dark or you may find the AKGs don't have the musicality that the Senns do. It's a matter of preference.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 65
HD-600 are good, you may also want to audition the Goldring DR-150. The DR-150 already comes with a silver headphone cable, but the beauty about the cable is that it is detachable and you can change to other headphone cables.

The type of source equipment and amplification will also have impact on the music reproduction to the phones you are using.
beyersmile.png

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 65
Thank you for quick responses :) At the time I plug the dt770m's into my NAD C352 reciever (or my Archos mp3-player, but that's not important). Unfortunately I don't know a shop in Copenhagen, where I can listen to high end headphones... Budget is a relative thing, it depends on how I feel, probably somewhere around 350-700$. On the other hand, if 1000$ is the price for a set of headphones for life, it's really not too much...is it?

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #8 of 65
In Australia we have the Yellow Pages. Basically companies advertise in this massive book that gets distributed to everyone each year. Makes tryna find a specialty store much easier. If you have something like that then that'd be something to look through.

So far I think we can say that you should (if possible) try Sennheiser, Grado and AKG to see which you prefer.

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 65
x3

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
disagree with the grado phones. Too forward with the mids. Older jazz albums are generally well balanced and recorded and benefit from a neutral can...

It's all a matter of preference. There are people who like RS-1s with Jazz. I personally don't like Grado or AKG with Jazz, I love Senns but still recommend that he tries all 3 brands to see which sound he likes.

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #14 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
disagree with the grado phones. Too forward with the mids. Older jazz albums are generally well balanced and recorded and benefit from a neutral can...

I disagree with you, should I post all the headphones recommended that I disagree with? Just put a headphone that you would recommend the guy. A well balanced and recorded album could (and will) most of the time still benefit alot from some coloration. Your amp is colored, your source is colored, everything is. Tbh I would recommend the OP to listen to all recommended headphones, its up to you what you prefer.

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #15 of 65
As I understand so far:

Sennheiser HD are good for jazz, but has a dark sound, that some like and some don't

AKG has a sound with more air, less bass and good highs

Grado is very upfront/"in your face" and is well suited for most rockmusic, but also hardbop

What I really need is something neutral. I think. Thank you for responses - just hit me :) I'm writing down every suggestion, and I'll catch up on them later on... I'm also a total newbie on amps, so if you suggest a headphone, that you use with an amp, I'd be glad to know which one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back