Headphones for gaming/music
Jun 15, 2014 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

HyperDuckling

New Head-Fier
EDIT: the people who says "Other - which" in my poll, would you please write which you'd recommend in the comment section? thanks

Hi Head-fi

this is my first thread on this forum, and i'm pretty new to this "hifi" world, so bare over with me! :)

- anyways, i'm looking for a pair of open headphones for my gaming sessions (mainly fps games) and for music listening (rap electronic, pop, rock), so the soundstage has to be good (for pinpointing enemies location). But i still don't wanna compromise on the sound for when i'm chilling with my music! :wink:

So far i've looked at these:
Philips Fidelio X1 - it should be the "funniest" headphone with a really nice bass and a great soundstage, though the earcups are not replaceable which is a huge con IMO
Sennheiser HD 558 - should sound great, and be a little more neutral than the X1, but should also have a great soundstage
AKG K701 - the sound should be rather linear, with a little lack of bass, should also be pretty hard to drive, but soundstage should be great
Audio-technica ATH-AD700X - the soundstage should be phenomenal on these cans, should offer plenty of detail, but i've heard that the treble should be rather "harsh"

They're gonna be driven by a Fiio E9I or any other AMP/DAC in this same price segment, recommendations?

So as I stated earlier the soundstage is REALLY important, but i dont wanna compromise on the sound either!

bring it on! :wink:

btw. at the moment I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum, which IMO sound amazing, but due to them being a closed headphone they dont have a great soundstage :/

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 26
Should get a sound card for virtual surround..

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 26

It usually depends on your preference. IMHO I don't think virtual surround is all that good; I, for one, play using only stereo sound.
If you want one, though, you could always look into the Astro Mixamp. There are virtual surround softwares, though -- like Razer Surround.

Now, as for the headphones -- I think you should head over to Mad Lust Eny's guide.

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 26

I've tried quite a few (3) different headsets with virtual surround sound, and IMO it didn't help a jack locating enemies location :)

Now, as for the headphones -- I think you should head over to Mad Lust Eny's guide.

I've looked it through quite a few times, but still can't choose :) i've also checked pretty all reviews I could find on the headphones... but still can't choose! ;D

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #5 of 26
  I've tried quite a few (3) different headsets with virtual surround sound, and IMO it didn't help a jack locating enemies location :)

I've looked it through quite a few times, but still can't choose :) i've also checked pretty all reviews I could find on the headphones... but still can't choose! ;D

I agree with you totally; I find virtual surround gimmicky no matter what you do with it. However, Razer Surround was admittedly pretty good, and it did improve the imaging of my Beats Pros (despite them having a very small soundstage). You should really give it a try, whether you like VS or not; besides, it's been free for pretty much forever (even though Razer supposedly prices them at $25).

I would love either the X1 or the K/Q701, but I don't have the funds for either atm. I'll wait, though! Anyhoo, I wish you the best of luck with finding the right pair!
beerchug.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #6 of 26
  I agree with you totally; I find virtual surround gimmicky no matter what you do with it. However, Razer Surround was admittedly pretty good, and it did improve the imaging of my Beats Pros (despite them having a very small soundstage). You should really give it a try, whether you like VS or not; besides, it's been free for pretty much forever (even though Razer supposedly prices them at $25).

I would love either the X1 or the K/Q701, but I don't have the funds for either atm. I'll wait, though! Anyhoo, I wish you the best of luck with finding the right pair!
beerchug.gif

I'll definetly give the Razer Surround a try!

And i'm also really hooked on the K701 and AD700X, for no particular reason really... they just look awesome! :) and they should (both) have a huge soundstage, so maybe them paired with a Fiio E9I and some Razer Surround? :)

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 26
Razer Surround isn't good IMO, Dolby headphones works for me, also very immersive.

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 26
  This is my first thread on this forum, and i'm pretty new to this "hifi" world, so bare over with me! :)
Anyways, i'm looking for a pair of open headphones for my gaming sessions (mainly fps games) and for music listening (rap electronic, pop, rock), so the soundstage has to be good (for pinpointing enemies location). But i still don't wanna compromise on the sound for when i'm chilling with my music! :wink:
They're gonna be driven by a Fiio E9I or any other AMP/DAC in this same price segment, recommendations?
So as I stated earlier the soundstage is REALLY important, but i dont wanna compromise on the sound either!

So do you own the E9i or planning on buying it?
What would be your total over all maximum budget for headphones/DAC/amp?
I'm assuming this is for PC gaming?
I'm assuming you live in the USA?

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 26
  So do you own the E9i or planning on buying it?
What would be your total over all maximum budget for headphones/DAC/amp?
I'm assuming this is for PC gaming?
I'm assuming you live in the USA?

that's one hell of a lot of assumptions :D

1) I don't currently own any AMP/DAC, but planning on buying the E9I, as it seems like the best bang for the buck
2) my absolute max budget would be 350$, but everything is quite a lot more expensive here in Denmark, add about 30%! for reference the Philips X1 cost about 300$!
3) yup this is for pc gaming
4) already kinda answered that (2) but I live in Denmark

:)

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 26
You should consider heading over to hoved-fi.dk, if you don't get the answers you seek here.
They are very very helpful over there, quite an amazing community, we also do tours (sending stuff around to each other)

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #11 of 26
  that's one hell of a lot of assumptions :D

1) I don't currently own any AMP/DAC, but planning on buying the E9I, as it seems like the best bang for the buck
2) my absolute max budget would be 350$, but everything is quite a lot more expensive here in Denmark, add about 30%! for reference the Philips X1 cost about 300$!
3) yup this is for pc gaming
4) already kinda answered that (2) but I live in Denmark

:)

A Creative Labs SB-Z (Sound Blaster Z) sound card, with Sennheiser HD558 headphones would make a fairly good combo (for the price)
The SB-Z comes with the CS4398 DAC chip :) and a decent headphone amplifier.
Also I would assume the SB-Z's SBX headphone surround sound would be a little better then whatever headphone surround sound (software) is built into your computer's motherboard.

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 26
I really liked my Sennheiser HD598 for gaming.... Until I got the AKG Q701. Those were great, and my go to cans anytime I was playing anything. The soundstage is huge on them, but they are lacking in the bass department. I sold mine to another head-fier and once he got them he performed a bass mod which he claims REALLY helped. He also added an antlion mod mic for chat capability.I never did all that personally, but it could be something to look into.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #14 of 26
  You should consider heading over to hoved-fi.dk, if you don't get the answers you seek here.
They are very very helpful over there, quite an amazing community, we also do tours (sending stuff around to each other)

Vil jeg gøre! :) tråden er hermed også postet derinde.

A Creative Labs SB-Z (Sound Blaster Z) sound card, with Sennheiser HD558 headphones would make a fairly good combo (for the price)
The SB-Z comes with the CS4398 DAC chip :) and a decent headphone amplifier.
Also I would assume the SB-Z's SBX headphone surround sound would be a little better then whatever headphone surround sound (software) is built into your computer's motherboard.

Hmmm, it looks good! Though I think that i'm pretty much set on the Fiio amp... unless you have some persuasion skills :)

I really liked my Sennheiser HD598 for gaming.... Until I got the AKG Q701. Those were great, and my go to cans anytime I was playing anything. The soundstage is huge on them, but they are lacking in the bass department. I sold mine to another head-fier and once he got them he performed a bass mod which he claims REALLY helped. He also added an antlion mod mic for chat capability.I never did all that personally, but it could be something to look into.

I've looked up the k701 mod and it seems like it actually increases the bass quite a lot, might actually give that a try!
All of the headphones you mentioned would do you well for gaming but imo The x1's should be what you need considering the genre you like to listen to

Yeah, but i've heard that the soundstage is not just as wide as with thw K701/AD700... but then on the other hand, I do get that nice bass...

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO DAMN HARD TO CHOOSE A BLOODY HEADPHONE?!?? :D

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #15 of 26
I just spotted a sale, here in Denmark. The only retailer who sells the Fiio E09K, has it on sale for only 90£/150$ including taxes/shipping, and thats quite alot cheaper than anything i've seen on eBay/Amazon... should i go for it? btw. it only lasts until 18-06 :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back