Headphones for Gaming/Long Sessions
Jun 21, 2015 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Xylust

New Head-Fier
Hello,

So I have a Zalman Z1 Mic and I would like some decent headphones. My budget is around £100 and I wouldn't like to pay much more than that. I play games such as CSGO (positional) and non-positional games. Usually long sessions.

So basically, requirements are

- < £100 (less pref.)
- Full-size
- Over-ear
- Noise cancellation (never used ones that are not so not sure if I'd like them)
- Doesn't need to be amazing with music, I mainly listen to music over speakers (but mainly because I don't have headphones that are comfortable right now)

Thank you in advance.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 20
This headphone gaming guide might help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-5-31-2015-beyer-cop-and-shure-1540-added. Many rankings of headphones for gaming.

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 20
  Nope, no sound card. Will just use the motherboard I suppose. Is that bad? haha

Try the AKG K612 Pro plugged directly into the motherboard, if that does not work well enough, then maybe look into getting something like a Sound Blaster Z or FiiO E10K of Schiit Fulla.

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 20
Nope, no sound card. Will just use the motherboard I suppose. Is that bad? haha

What PurpleAngel said.

The K612 are a bit difficult to drive. If they easily reach your normal listening volumes with your computer, then don't worry about it. If you find you have them cranked all the way up, then an amp or sound card could be a good idea.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 20
What PurpleAngel said.

The K612 are a bit difficult to drive. If they easily reach your normal listening volumes with your computer, then don't worry about it. If you find you have them cranked all the way up, then an amp or sound card could be a good idea.

I seem to be finding them cranked up fully, just got them. They're like normal listening level at 100%. I don't really want to pay a lot of an amp/sound card, what do you recommend?

Bearing in mind I could probably live with this sound level at 100%.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #9 of 20
When running the volume at 100%, it is likely that dynamic peaks of songs are being squashed/distorted. So typically we want a source that doesn't have to be turned up all the way to get the best sound.

If you can live with the current volume, then you might just see an amp/dac upgrade as something that would give you an improvement in how your headphones sound for one day in the future.

The Soundblaster Z that PurpleAngel mentioned would give you virtual surround features, if you want that. The E10K or Schiit Fulla is generally considered better for overall sound quality.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #10 of 20
When running the volume at 100%, it is likely that dynamic peaks of songs are being squashed/distorted. So typically we want a source that doesn't have to be turned up all the way to get the best sound.

If you can live with the current volume, then you might just see an amp/dac upgrade as something that would give you an improvement in how your headphones sound for one day in the future.

The Soundblaster Z that PurpleAngel mentioned would give you virtual surround features, if you want that. The E10K or Schiit Fulla is generally considered better for overall sound quality.

I can't find the Schiit Fulla for purchase in UK. E10K and Soundblaster Z are on par with price, so not sure which is better? Virtual surround as in helping with positional audio in games? I don't know if I need virtual surround.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #11 of 20
If you don't care about virtual surround, I would go with the E10K.

If you want to try virtual surround, Razer has a free and pro (paid) software version that you can use: http://www.razerzone.com/surround

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #12 of 20
If you don't care about virtual surround, I would go with the E10K.

If you want to try virtual surround, Razer has a free and pro (paid) software version that you can use: http://www.razerzone.com/surround

Oh haha the virtual surround sounds really nice actually. Do you think I should just use this software + E10K or Soundblaster Z?

Edit: From most things I've been looking at it seems E10k is a way better choice. Should I go for it?

Edit2: Went for the E10k

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #13 of 20
Oh haha the virtual surround sounds really nice actually. Do you think I should just use this software + E10K or Soundblaster Z?

Edit: From most things I've been looking at it seems E10k is a way better choice. Should I go for it?

Edit2: Went for the E10k

LOL

Couldn't wait, eh?

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 20
  Nope, even dished out an extra £8 for one day delivery. I'm pretty sure I couldn't of gone wrong either way.. Sound Blaster or E10k.

The E10K headphone amplifier has an output impedance of less the 1-Ohm :)
Which I would consider a little more desirable, then the SB-Z's headphone output impedance of 22-Ohms :frowning2:
Lower output impedance usually means better damping :)
Also the E10K being external helps keep the audio signal from picking up any electrical noise, that might be inside the computer case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back