Headphones for gaming CoD and BF BC2
Jan 10, 2012 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

r1sh

Head-Fier
Good day everyone!

I've blown up my mind looking for headphones 99.99% for gaming. Most of all I prefer Call of Duty Modernwarfare 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 both multiplayer.

As I understand, the first and most importaint point is positioning and the second is scene.
For now I'm using audio-onboard Realtek and Panasonic RP-DJ300 and for the last 2-3 month I began to notice that the sound is not real....For example, when 2-3 players start shooting near me, somewhere near me blows up granade, all sounds get together in one and against the background I don't here foot steps near me.
And positioning is just owfull, I can't determine where source of sound is, for example I'm on the 2nd floor of the building and I hear footsteps, I can't determine wether the enemy is on the"down-left" or "up-right" I cant just hear that he is "somewhere left" or "somewhere right"....I'm really tied of it, I just want to relax while playing....

I've found new sound card: Creative X-Fi Fanality Gamer, for more surround and clear gaming sound. And here is my list of headsets I could found:

Audio-Technica ATH-T400
Audio-Technica ATH-T500
AKG K 99   \ 77
AKG K 514 \ 512
Fischer Audio FA-004   
Sennheiser HD 448 \ 449

Also I have opportunity to buy used ATH-AD500 for $60, AD700 for $94 and Sennheiser 380 for $94....

Ofcource I'd love to spend less money and buy headsets for $60-70, is there any nice vaiants?

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 34
If you're willing to have a budget ~160, I found the Beyerdynamic dt770 80 ohm to be an excellent gaming headset. Very spacious sound with pretty great imaging. Most of all, I loved the way I could detect where jets/helicopters were on BF3, or where exactly a tank was in relation to me.

I've since upgraded, but they were an incredible headphone, sorry I couldn't assure you on any of your choices that you mentioned already.

My 2 cents!

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 34
For gaming you can't really go wrong with the good old ATH-AD700. Enjoyed mine for a long time for gaming exclusively. There are a lot of threads about people getting banned from online multiplayer games, being accused of cheating. Opponents couldn't believe the AD700 was the reason why they kept winning every single match. :) 

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 34

Quote:
If you're willing to have a budget ~160, I found the Beyerdynamic dt770 80 ohm to be an excellent gaming headset. Very spacious sound with pretty great imaging. Most of all, I loved the way I could detect where jets/helicopters were on BF3, or where exactly a tank was in relation to me.

I've since upgraded, but they were an incredible headphone, sorry I couldn't assure you on any of your choices that you mentioned already.

My 2 cents!

wow thanks, maybe they are worth it, but I don't have theese money for now))

Quote:
For gaming you can't really go wrong with the good old ATH-AD700. Enjoyed mine for a long time for gaming exclusively. There are a lot of threads about people getting banned from online multiplayer games, being accused of cheating. Opponents couldn't believe the AD700 was the reason why they kept winning every single match. :) 

yeah, I've already read lots of posts about them, I guess they are really cool. I found thread about comparison of ad500 and ad700 and some people said that they are almost similar, but ad500 needs just more time to warm up and after that it's hard to notice difference between them....
http://www.head-fi.org/t/397705/audio-technica-ad500s/15#post_5239443
http://www.head-fi.org/t/397705/audio-technica-ad500s/15#post_5240011

It it really true?
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 34
HD800s are great for soundwhoring but from your list those AD700s are very good and much better value. I'd grab the AD700s, they are highly recommended for gaming.

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet...

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 34

Quote:
HD800s are great for soundwhoring but from your list those AD700s are very good and much better value. I'd grab the AD700s, they are highly recommended for gaming.
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet...

Thanks!) Honestly I fortuitously found Head-Fi forum's link in someone's comment on Amazon and I've already 2 days read and read and read threads and reviews) Too bad, we haven't got such site in Russia=(

do you know, is there huge differences between ad500 and ad700? Is there possibility or chance to get nice sound but cheaper?=)

I've already figuring out that AKG's cheap headsets isn't the right choice for me, because there a few reviews about them and those reviews aren't quiet good....

and  this review http://www.head-fi.org/t/485660/review-fischer-audios-fa-004 just broken my heart with such cool view))) the look awesome!!!!))) how's about gaming positioning?
And in the first post there are words:

Quote:
If anything, for me at least, the above suggests that the FA-004 is a natural sounding dynamic headphone with a slight emphasis on the bass and highs. This give the FA-004 a very fun natural sound with a good sense of space and soundstage which only confirms my initial impression using the track “Homeless” from Paul Simon’s album “Graceland”.

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 34

Quote:

do you know, is there huge differences between ad500 and ad700? Is there possibility or chance to get nice sound but cheaper?=)

http://www.headfonia.com/?s=ad700, this could help you out

and  this review http://www.head-fi.org/t/485660/review-fischer-audios-fa-004 just broken my heart with such cool view))) the look awesome!!!!))) how's about gaming positioning?

Fa-004 is a closed, supra-aural can. This type of headphone is generally not suited for gaming because of it's inherent lack of soundstage and imaging. 

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 34

Quote:

My 2 cents!

+1

I've used my DT 770 PRO 80 for quite a bit of BF3 gaming including a 15 hour marathon(don't judge me!.) They are perfectly comfortable and the bass response they are known for is really fun in games, especially a Battlefield game. They don't need much amplification for gaming, either.

I find my HiFIMAN HE-500 WAY overkill for gaming, the improved imaging and soundstage don't seem to impact gameplay very much. And they are very heavy, whereas the DT770 is lightweight. I probably wouldn't go any higher in price than the DT770 for gaming, but I think they are a good price for the application.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 34
there used to be a website started by some head-fi guys dedicated to gaming but its vanished
game-fi - had some good stuff on it - shame its gone.

Jan 10, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 34
yeah you're right it would be awesome if such forum was somewhere? because I've already tied to looking for answers))

I've listened AKG today, for my opinion the aren't fine, the sound it flat and I didn't like them at all...I liked sound of A500 and AD700, for me they where very similar the only difference was that A500 are closed and AD700 are opened....

Am I the only guy who had a feeling that headset is going to fall of the head with AD700?))))

Too bad that there wasn't AD500 in the shop=( I felt in love with A500 but the're expensive and I have to decide: wether I take a risk and buy cheaper AD500 or I spend more money for reliability buying AD700.....

It's very difficult for me to decide, please heeeeeeeeeeeelp!!! =)

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 34
You might want to consider the Samson SR-850 as well. They seem to do well for gaming. I just got a pair yesterday so its a bit early to make too many conclusions but I am pleased with what I've seen so far. 

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 34
I use the AD700s for gaming, and I've also tried the 770 Pro 80s before as well. Both have amazing soundstage, and are really comfortable for hours of use. Alot of people say that the AD700s are really bad in terms of bass, but I did find it quite adequate, and very detailed. The 770s are much more impactful, and when playing Battlefield 3 on the War Tapes audio setting, it's really an experience on its own.

I also decided to try using my M50s for the hell of it, it gave me a headache, and was impossible to pinpoint anything.

I'd say go for the AD700, nothing in the price point is quite as good when it comes to gaming. If you want a closed can, you might want to consider the A700s as well, I've heard they also have a very good sound stage, although I can't remember the price off the top of my head.

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 34
too bad that noone can  compare ad500 and ad700=( I found this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/444302/ath-ad700-vs-ath-ad500

but I can't say which of all listed differences is importiant for gaming...I can't decide wether spend 60$ and take a risk of trying AD500 or spend 90$ and go for AD700 which are 100% gaming...

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #15 of 34
i have Ad700 & dt990

and i love using ad700 more with games, the soundstage is huge and its very comfortable especially for long playing Session
even though the bass is weak but i find that is a good thing when i play online because i can sense the sound directions better which make it more Accurate at locating enemies (Especially Cod games), and you dont need an amp for ad700 to sound great.

bottom line,  you can't go wrong with ad700 when it comes to online games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back