Headphones for EDM in 2020?
Mar 26, 2020 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

qubixqdotta

New Head-Fier
Headphones that sound good for EDM as of 2020, in your opinion? If you can, specify the subgenre of EDM that sounds best through those cans, and why? No specific price point. Including what DAC and amp they sound best with would help as well, but not necessary.

Seen some previous posts where people mentioned the Sony MDR-Z1R and Denon AHD-7000. I wonder what can be said about what genres of EDM these sound good with?

Been listening to a lot trance lately. So I've been trying to find a can that sounds good with trance in the meantime.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 56
welcome to the forum,
You will learn quickly that the word best does not float around here much.
Speakers, Dacs, Headphones and all audio equipment is extremely subjective.
It's just like a mattress, you might like firm, I might like soft...
you have to help people narrow it down a bit. You want open back or closed back? Is it for relaxing or commuting? Bluetooth or wired...
Best advice I can give you, is to wait out the pandemic a bit of you can and go try out a few pairs in a store and see what you enjoy the most.

Mar 26, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 56
welcome to the forum,
You will learn quickly that the word best does not float around here much.
Speakers, Dacs, Headphones and all audio equipment is extremely subjective.
It's just like a mattress, you might like firm, I might like soft...
you have to help people narrow it down a bit. You want open back or closed back? Is it for relaxing or commuting? Bluetooth or wired...
Best advice I can give you, is to wait out the pandemic a bit of you can and go try out a few pairs in a store and see what you enjoy the most.
I understand that, that's why I was asking for people's subjective opinions. Notice how I said that the headphones could sound good for different types of EDM, in your opinion? That's implying that I'm looking for subjective opinions.

I'm also not new to the forums. I used to be on here way back in 2007, but I didn't take it as seriously as I do now. I still KNOW about these things nonetheless.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 56
The Sony MDR-Z1R sound fantastic with this genre of music. I can say like downtempo, house, even trance sound great. The Z1R's have the closed cone acoustic filter that give it that closed for bass but open for a bit of soundstage sound. They aren't perfect, there are better headphones, I have better headphones but I still love listening to these. I mean if I'm listening to 80's synth its Stax all the way. I just got a pair of the Abyss TC's and they sound awesome with this kind of music but you really got sit up right in a chair and can't walk around or chill on the couch with them. Same with the Stax. The Z1R's are somewhat easy to drive you can run them from a portable system lounge out with them and they are light and comfortable.

Mar 26, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 56
I'm glad you mentioned the type of EDM, as someone who likes Hardstyle will have a different preference of headphones then someone who likes trance.
For Hardcore/hardstyle/drum and bass, I use the V-moda M100. Hits wayyyy low in bass
For trance/vocal trance, I use the hifiman HE400 or Drop HD 6XX

Using Asgard 3 with internal 4490 DAC

Mar 27, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 56
Audeze lcd2 has great sub bass extension.. I love pretty much any Audeze lcd series for edm. I use the lcd2 close back for portable and they have amazing slam.

I was curious how the Closed LCD2's were. I have a pair of Lcd2rev2's and they sound great but they don't have anywhere near the sub bass extension the Z1R's have. I mean they are opened though. The XC's were ok. The 2rev2's are my favorite Audeze cans. I like the MX4's as well. I love the way the closed 2's look though.

Mar 27, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 56
my vote goes to the tr-x00 ebony. in my opinion they're not huge bass cannons like people describe them to be. they definitely have enough umph to keep you happy but the bass is really refined. had plenty of clarity and separation for vocals. its a really buttery smooth headphone and the sound stage is very impressive. you should also look into the th900 mk2 if you get a chance.

Mar 27, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 56
Been listening to trance on my Sennheiser HD580's for over 10 years which is a testament to their build quality and comfort. I've upgraded the headband with a BD leather wrap for comfort and changed the grilles to HD600 grilles for a slightly more open soundstage. A 650 cable was the finishing touch as well as removing the pad protecting the drivers in the grille. Every now and then I have to clean the pads, which I've had to replace about every 5 years with extensive 5+ hour a day usage. They never get hot after extended listening and they shine with a good tube amp.

The kick comes in just powerful enough to feel the emotion from it without overwhelming the vocals and those bright highs you expect from really good trance. Maybe there are better or different cans now since its been over a decade since I bought these, but if you can find a used pair and invest a little money in the mods you'll be very happy.

Coming from 20,000+ hours listened.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #10 of 56
From the headphones i've listen to trance with i can tell you these.

HD 650 has lush vocal that will work well for vocal trance but i find the bass and treble to be dissapointing for trance.
LCD 2 2016 i found the treble to be hard at times, not great if you listen at night & found the bass slam to be dissapointing.
Focal Clear these seem to do nothing wrong for the genre but i've never really gotten the feeling of actually being there.
Fostex TR-XX Ebony i found these to be slightly better than my Focal Clear for trance for making me feel like i'm there.

Also have you seen this thread the genre is has been generalised but is worth a look https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-headphones-for-electronic-music.859478/

Mar 27, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #11 of 56
I found HD800S good for electronic music in general, but bass can be lacking depending on setups. I have an amp that pushes lots of bass, so it helps. I think you ultimately want tightness in driver response in the highs with thunderous bass. Or dry highs and hard hitting lows with rumbling subs.

I like Ebony with hip-hop type of slower bass (or thick double bass jazz), but for fast electronic, it would be HD800S or HE1000 series for crisp airy highs that works so well with electronic genre. HE1000 series planar subs helps when it comes to bass articulation.

Also, I'd go with D9200 over TH900 or Ebony due to faster response in the low-end with more crispness in the highs.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 56
The Purple Hearts aren't also a bad choice if you still want that Ebony type sound with a bit more intimate vocals

Mar 27, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 56
Take a look at this thread, particularly the list in post #1 which was very helpful in my search:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-headphones-for-electronic-music.859478/

If you are looking for a closed back I haven't found anything better than the Ultrasone Signature DJ. Great soundstage (for a closed back), hard hitting clean bass, great separation, great clarity for the asking price, and easy to drive. Lovely for all types of EDM.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #14 of 56
The Sony MDR-Z1R sound fantastic with this genre of music. I can say like downtempo, house, even trance sound great. The Z1R's have the closed cone acoustic filter that give it that closed for bass but open for a bit of soundstage sound. They aren't perfect, there are better headphones, I have better headphones but I still love listening to these. I mean if I'm listening to 80's synth its Stax all the way. I just got a pair of the Abyss TC's and they sound awesome with this kind of music but you really got sit up right in a chair and can't walk around or chill on the couch with them. Same with the Stax. The Z1R's are somewhat easy to drive you can run them from a portable system lounge out with them and they are light and comfortable.

What do you drive your Stax and Abyss TC's with? I've heard a lot of praise for their performance of rock and classical (genres I also love). Waiting for everything to open so I can go to a store and listen. Also going to CanJam in California this December. I'll test out some synthpop or freestyle on those.

I'm glad you mentioned the type of EDM, as someone who likes Hardstyle will have a different preference of headphones then someone who likes trance.
For Hardcore/hardstyle/drum and bass, I use the V-moda M100. Hits wayyyy low in bass
For trance/vocal trance, I use the hifiman HE400 or Drop HD 6XX
Using Asgard 3 with internal 4490 DAC
V-moda's are great. Never tried them with hardstyle though. :grimacing: What do you drive them with?

Audeze lcd2 has great sub bass extension.. I love pretty much any Audeze lcd series for edm. I use the lcd2 close back for portable and they have amazing slam.
What genres of EDM would you say sound best with the LCD2's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back