Headphones for D-25s
May 3, 2002 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Well, ever since the breakdown of my HP890's Iv'e decided that I need a new pair of high-end portable cans. Currently, I have a d-25s as my source, and I was wondering if I would get better sound with either of these two options

Beyer 831's with Portacorda

or

W100's connected directly to the D-25s (what a sexy setup that would be)

Anyways, tell me what you think.

May 3, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 5
I don't know about any of those headphones that you mentioned, but I know that my Ety ER4Ps sound great with my D-25S, so I would recommend them.

May 3, 2002 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 5
The W100s sound fine when powered by the D-25S. Not as good as with my Corda HA-1 or my preamp, of course.

But are they "portable"? Not really! The cans are pretty big. I am so tempted by those slightly smaller open AT cans, though...

By the way, you'd need an adapter to use the full size plug on the AT cans with the minijack on the D-25S. Do NOT use the Radio Shack -- it will get stuck in the D-25S jack. Use the Grado cable adapter, the PartsExpress Dayton adapter, or the AT adapter. I have the first two, and the third on order.

May 3, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 5
I remember reading good things about the V6 hooked up to the D-25S. I own the player, and get good results from both a Koss KSC-35 and Beyer 250-80 (which is why I would also think the V6/7506 would be a good match). I am in the minority that thinks that current portables can not drive the 250-80's decently. The D-25S gets the job done and then some.

May 3, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 5
The beyer 250-80s can be driven from a portable, they're not likely to be as loud as the HP890s, but they're a little smaller and more discrete than the HP890s
wink.gif

I'm becoming more and more reluctant to recommend the DT831s as I listen to the rest of the Beyer range, but I can understand why some people like the way they sound.

And finally, This is where I recommend the Beyer DT531 - my newly discovered favourite
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back