Headphones for Classical
Jan 19, 2022 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

smm11

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could make a recommendation for full size heading for classical and opera music. I am look into to try to keep it under $300. Here are some things I am thinking maybe someone has had experience with any:

Grado 225x - love the grado sound and have an old pair of sr80’s that I love was wondering maybe I would upgrade.

Drop hifiman he5xx - they seem to have enough good reviews, but I don’t know how they would sound with classical. I had the 4xx, but sold them as they didn’t really excite me. I could also find an open box sundara

DT 880- I had these too, I really like them, but sold them. I just had to clear things out at they weren’t getting enough attention. But miss them and think they might me good for classical, which I wasn’t really listening to much then.

Open to any other suggestions. I currently have a pair of drop senn 6xx and an ifi go blu and a chord mojo. Any help would be so appreciated. Really stuck going through all the reviews. Thanks!

Jan 19, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 9
My favorite bang for the buck headphone is the Takstar HF 580 planar headphone, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads.
Around $250 for the combo.
My DT880 gathers dust.
I think the Drop Hifiman HE5XX is temping.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 9
I currently have a pair of drop senn 6xx and an ifi go blu and a chord mojo. Any help would be so appreciated.

What would you like to change compared to the HD6XX / Mojo combo?
I listen to a lot of classical music and when I was looking for headphones my favorite in the sub 500 range was the Sundara, it was livlier and clearer than the Sennheiser HD660 I compared it to. Also the soundstage was more out of your head than the HD660's.

Jan 20, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #5 of 9
What would you like to change compared to the HD6XX / Mojo combo?
I listen to a lot of classical music and when I was looking for headphones my favorite in the sub 500 range was the Sundara, it was livlier and clearer than the Sennheiser HD660 I compared it to. Also the soundstage was more out of your head than the HD660's.
Truthfully, I don’t really want to change anything. Just want something that will complement the 6xx and offer some variety. Not going to get rid of what I have. Just have the bug to add something different…

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 9
Truthfully, I don’t really want to change anything. Just want something that will complement the 6xx and offer some variety. Not going to get rid of what I have. Just have the bug to add something different…

I haven't heard the ATH-R70X but the reviews and available information make it look very interesting.
What makes the Sundara interesting is the planar magnetic driver, which gives it a different character with higher resolution and separation potential and extended bass.
What needs to be considered ist that the planar magnetic headphones need more power to drive them properly, Mojo can drive them, not sure about the ifi go blue.

I have recently added the Hifiman Arya to complement my Focal Clear, and I see parallels.
The Clear has a very balanced, dynamic sound, the Arya has more separation, more bottom end and top end, a wider and deeper stage, but it gives up quite a bit on dynamics, at least with the amplification I have available. I consider them equal in SQ overall, but honestly I listen more to the Clears.

Sundara vs HD6XX looks like a similar story, but not as dramatic as the Clear-Arya pairing.

Hope that helps a little.

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 9
I have an ATH-R70X and Audeze LCD-2 Classic Closed. The level of detail revealed by the Audeze is not even close on the Audio Technica.

I use the ATH-R70X for audio postprocessing work, and the Audeze for joy. They are on the dark side, and they are heavy.

Get the ATH-R70X, grown on them, and if you are ready, go out and find some planars that work for you. ATH-R70X are selling pretty well on Ebay, because they are flat, open, and very light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back