Headphones for Classical Music -- Which are best and how much will I need to invest?
Nov 29, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #16 of 26
Jan 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:
Ah, classical music. You'll want a neutral headphone - it's the only way to go. Of the headphones I've heard, these are the best cans for classical music.

Imo, there are two kinds of people - 
1. those who want to relax and enjoy the overall classical performance
2. those who enjoys the tiny details in classical music.

Shure SRH940 - very good for solos (especially violins), not recommended for orchestras (bass is lacking and is below neutral, timpanis almost disappear)

The big TRIO:
  1. HD800 - massive soundstage, for full scale orchestras it's a 10/10 (1,2)
  2. DT880 - Very involving with classical music. I call it classical listening pleasure. (1)
  3. HD600 - One word to describe is it perfect. I can feel the bow scraping against the strings of the violin and the details is just overwhelming. Take out HD800's soundstage and you have the HD600. (2)

I belong to group number 2 and I preferred the HD600.

How would you compare the HD600's to the HD650's in terms of classical music, note at the moment the 650's cost 412$ on amazon therefore I really don't know which one to get.

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #18 of 26
The 600's and 650's aren't all that different.  Both offer a relaxed, laid back feeling to it's sound.  The 650 has a noticeable "darker" tone too it.  It has more bass than the 600, I'd call it bassy.  The 600's are more neutral.  Thats basically the difference between the two.   I got the 600 over the 650 because I wanted a more neutral headphone at the time.  I fully agree with nkip, I love my 600's for classical/orchestral music.  I wouldn't call it's soundstage massive or small.  I think it's more natural than anything.  With the 650's being so similar to the 600, it would do great as well.  It's all about preference.  To me the darker tone of the 650 gave it a slower, more laid back feeling.  I guess that would classify as romantic 
wink.gif
 I loved them when I tried them on but again I was looking for a neutral headphone at the time, so I went for the 600.

Keep mind that this is just my personal opinion.  Take it from a long time forum surfer, you'll get all sorts of opinions here.  The best thing to do is go out and try them for yourself.  

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:
The 600's and 650's aren't all that different.  Both offer a relaxed, laid back feeling to it's sound.  The 650 has a noticeable "darker" tone too it.  It has more bass than the 600, I'd call it bassy.  The 600's are more neutral.  Thats basically the difference between the two.   I got the 600 over the 650 because I wanted a more neutral headphone at the time.  I fully agree with nkip, I love my 600's for classical/orchestral music.  I wouldn't call it's soundstage massive or small.  I think it's more natural than anything.  With the 650's being so similar to the 600, it would do great as well.  It's all about preference.  To me the darker tone of the 650 gave it a slower, more laid back feeling.  I guess that would classify as romantic 
wink.gif
 I loved them when I tried them on but again I was looking for a neutral headphone at the time, so I went for the 600.

Keep mind that this is just my personal opinion.  Take it from a long time forum surfer, you'll get all sorts of opinions here.  The best thing to do is go out and try them for yourself.  

Thanks for an honest opinion, I might just go for the 650's because they are so low in price now compared to the 600's and I prefer a bit more bass and a notch larger soundstage. Cheers!

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:
Heya,

Hifiman HE-500 on the Schiit Bifrost & Schiit Lyr. But this is probably beyond your budget. But who knows, it's worth mention if you want something really great for an inexpensive (relatively, for it's quality) high end entry setup.

The K701's sound stage wasn't realistic, it was synthetic sounding, by the way.

Sounds like you enjoy "V" shape frequency response, more treble and more bass.

Why not get a K702 since you already liked it?

Anyhow, some suggestions:

Sennheiser HD600
Hifiman HE-300
Fischer Audio FA-002W
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Denon D5000
Beyer DT880
AKG K702
Audio Technica AD900

Very best,

How is the HE 400 for classical?

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:
How is the HE 400 for classical?

The HE400 are good with most genres (sorry for not being to specific but I am not an expert), but from what I've heard is that the HE500s are an amazing pair of headphones and are worth every single cent even though they are very pricey. I would personally invest in HE500s simply because they offer so much in sound quality, soundstage and imaging. By the way you should look in this thread where even the HE400 is reviewed (by Jude) with other high end flagship models. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Cheers! Hope this helps! I do realize that 400€+ for a pair of headphones is a lot but the best bet is to go somewhere and actually listen to them. Everyone has different ears and everyone has their own preferences.

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #22 of 26
Sennheiser HD650 with La Figaro 339 and you will be there for classical music goodness.
Tube amps is not about warm, it is about musicality and harmonic presentation that I find important for classical music.
YMMV

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:
Sennheiser HD650 with La Figaro 339 and you will be there for classical music goodness.
Tube amps is not about warm, it is about musicality and harmonic presentation that I find important for classical music.
YMMV

An Audio-Technica AD900 is amazing with classical music. I would go find a thread discussing these headphones if looking for an amp. They retail for around 200$ and are probably the best headphones for classical music.

Look at some reviews of them, also they have a model AD900x which is closed.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:
The HE400 are good with most genres (sorry for not being to specific but I am not an expert), but from what I've heard is that the HE500s are an amazing pair of headphones and are worth every single cent even though they are very pricey. I would personally invest in HE500s simply because they offer so much in sound quality, soundstage and imaging. By the way you should look in this thread where even the HE400 is reviewed (by Jude) with other high end flagship models. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Cheers! Hope this helps! I do realize that 400€+ for a pair of headphones is a lot but the best bet is to go somewhere and actually listen to them. Everyone has different ears and everyone has their own preferences.

Thanks-The 500 sounds just like an amazing set of cans. I'm primarily a  rock fan,and a lot of my music is sort of in your face and aggressive, so the upper end Grados are also tempting. But, for the experience of having a set of cans w/ the potential upper end sound quality, I'm  thinking of saving for a 500. Pariticularly when I'm listening to instumental music and so on....apprec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back