Headphones for both Metal and EDM?
Sep 16, 2015 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MajalGuy

New Head-Fier
So, I have a pretty unique taste when it comes to music. I like both these genres pretty much equally and I am looking to buy a new pair of headphones in a few months. Can anyone recommend the best headphones that can do that with a budget of about 250$? (there's some wiggle room for something extra special I guess). perhaps the Shure SRH840 or the Audio Technica ATHM50? I've heard those are considered pretty good in that price range (however I don't know how they fair in these particular genres).

Sep 18, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 19
Genre is less important, IMO, then your particular sonic tastes in headphones.

What headphones have your previously heard? What did you like/not like about their relative amounts of bass/mids/treble?

Also, since you want to buy on Black Friday, there seems to be some myth that lots of different headphones go sale. I don't think that's the case. :)

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 19
What kind of equipment will you be using the headphones with?  Do you prefer closed or open back headphones?

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 19
Genre is less important, IMO, then your particular sonic tastes in headphones.

What headphones have your previously heard? What did you like/not like about their relative amounts of bass/mids/treble?

Also, since you want to buy on Black Friday, there seems to be some myth that lots of different headphones go sale. I don't think that's the case.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your response. As for my previous headphones, up until now I've only used inear headphones in recent years, and most of them had a short life and had to be replaced pretty quickly. The only pair of headphones I've been using for a quite long time are my yuin pk2. Not sure what I like about them and what I don't. But I want an over-ear set for better isolation, comfort and overall sound.
Well, for starts, I like a high amount of bass. I'll be honest and say I don't know much about that lows-mids-highs thing, maybe there's a guide thing that will help me help you help me? :)

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 19

Well, for starts, I like a high amount of bass. I'll be honest and say I don't know much about that lows-mids-highs thing, maybe there's a guide thing that will help me help you help me? :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 19
  What kind of equipment will you be using the headphones with?  Do you prefer closed or open back headphones?

I will mainly be using my phone- a samsung galaxy s4 at the moment, might change in the future.
I prefer closed back headphones. 

I read the glossary you've added, sadly I don't know how much it can help me guide you what pair of headphones you should suggest for me. All I can say is I want a good pair of headphones that are detailed, have a high amount of bass, and have good isolation (as I'll be using my headphones quite when a lot when I'm on the bus). 

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 19
  I will mainly be using my phone- a samsung galaxy s4 at the moment, might change in the future.
I prefer closed back headphones. 

I read the glossary you've added, sadly I don't know how much it can help me guide you what pair of headphones you should suggest for me. All I can say is I want a good pair of headphones that are detailed, have a high amount of bass, and have good isolation (as I'll be using my headphones quite when a lot when I'm on the bus). 

Headphones with a tremendous amount of bass will also have a recessed mid range; many acoustic instruments and also vocals will sound distant at best (and covered by the bass), muffled at worst.  Are you okay with this?

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 19

Headphones with a tremendous amount of bass will also have a recessed mid range; many acoustic instruments and also vocals will sound distant at best, muffled at worst.  Are you okay with this?

Well, I don't know if tremendous is the amount of bass I'm looking for. perhaps more than the average ones if you could put it like that. I want to feel the bass and not have it disappear behind the rest of the music if that makes any sense for you.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 19
I'd recommend the Soundmagic HP150. They have a bit of sub bass boost so that you'll get some bass kick on the very low end with EDM. But not so much bass emphasis higher up, so other music sounds more neutral.

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 19
  Well, I don't know if tremendous is the amount of bass I'm looking for. perhaps more than the average ones if you could put it like that. I want to feel the bass and not have it disappear behind the rest of the music if that makes any sense for you.

Is there any chance you can audition any headphones?  A HiFi store perhaps, or maybe order the ATH-M50X from Amazon and return it if you don't like it?  The M50X is a good point of reference.

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 19
V-Moda M100 - Price $250. Has good isolation and strong bass. It is in many aspects better than the M50X such as build quality, material quality, sound clarity, bass and portability.

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 19

Is there any chance you can audition any headphones?  A HiFi store perhaps, or maybe order the ATH-M50X from Amazon and return it if you don't like it?  The M50X is a good point of reference.

These were my initially the ones I was aiming for. But I heard the isolation on this isn't that great. Returning isn't possible for me sadly, nor trying them anywhere.

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #14 of 19
This might help. Innerfidelity has measurements for many headphones, which include isolation measurements: http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #15 of 19
This might help. Innerfidelity has measurements for many headphones, which include isolation measurements: http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Thanks. from what I see most of the top rated headphones have an isolation of around -12 to -13 dBr. Perhaps I should just go for the safe athm50 choice? Can anyone comment on how these fair on bus rides in terms of isolating the outside noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back