Headphones for ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT - Sound card
Sep 22, 2014 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rdb1

Head-Fier
I am looking to get some on ear or over ear headphones. Open or Closed. Budget is up to £200 so I would like a mixture from say prices from £100 - £200. Mixture of music.

Possibly looking at Sennheiser 598 or 650 at the most. - Would this soundcard work okay at driving these or should I look at A Cambridge Audio Usb DAC as I have one of those too.

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 3
  I am looking to get some on ear or over ear headphones. Open or Closed. Budget is up to £200 so I would like a mixture from say prices from £100 - £200. Mixture of music.

Possibly looking at Sennheiser 598 or 650 at the most. - Would this sound card work okay at driving these or should I look at A Cambridge Audio USB DAC as I have one of those too.

Hopefully you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar D2X.

The headphone (line-output) jack on the Xonar D2X has a high output impedance, which might make headphones plugged into it have a slightly bloated (louder, less detailed) sound quality.
Getting a headphone amplifier, like the FiiO E11K ($60 USA), could be used with the D2X and should improve the audio quality of any headphones you use with the D2X/E11K.

Headphones like the (120-Ohm) AKG K612 Pro (102 GBP) might do fairly well plugged straight into the D2X.
You could always get the K612 Pros first, then have the option of adding a headphone amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back