Headphones for around $300?
Dec 1, 2013 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Monckey100

New Head-Fier
I have done my googling and well I'm fairly new to the whole being an audiophile..

I tried googling up the loudest but I just couldn't find what I wanted so I decided to register on here as these forums kept coming up.

That being said, some background:

I use VLC and network stream videos from youtube, right now quality isn't an issue because I stream 1080 but aside from that (and I am aware that youtube
doesn't have the best quality sounds), My current headphones have never been able to utilize anything that sounds good enough.

I have a line in to another computer which I use to listen to music and browse while gaming (to avoid alt tabbing but forget about my rig) so I can get away with
microphone boosting but I can only go so loud before the song loses it's quality.

Anyways, I have the Asus Xonar Essence STX (on the main computer with the headphones )which amazing for the first time my siberias actually shook when I had dubstep playing (only some songs) on the main computer which was great, I ended up rewiring and setting the line in to the Xonar.

My problem is that my headphones, Siberias V2 (just the regulars not the usb, so it connects to my sound card), sounds very QUIET, My LG earphones that came with my samsung galaxy S2 are in comparison crazy loud.

I used to have razer megalodons (first edition) which were crazy loud as well but the driver on it froze and I couldn't get a replacement.

So as it stands, I want something louder than my earphones I got cause I can't believe some stock headphones are beating out my siberias which I paid $90 for.
(I also suspect it's gotten weaker over time as this has happened with a few of my crappier headphones)

I don't normally listen to music very loud, usually 1-2 hours a day if not less or even at all, BUT when I do, I want it loud and the headphones shaking.

Anyways, I've covered enough, somethings I researched and probably will help:

Over-ear headphones are a MUST for me, My left ear tends to twitch/move a lot so On-Ears just hurt after long usage or slip off which causes intensive rage.

Open and closed back designs are preferred, I want louder so I don't care about the music being broadcasted because this is within the comforts of my home and I expect myself to be listening to music loud enough that talk while listening just wouldn't be possible.

Other than that, I have no idea what I'm talking about, I looked at Sennheiser but the specs didn't make sense to me, I read somewhere that Ohms and frequency rate determine how much better they are but they didn't seem that much better than the siberias, but again I'm used to building computers, not doing audio/mic stuff.

My budget is $300 but I will go up to $600 (I can get something worth 300 now and save for 600 so realistically I want a 300 but if you got an ideal set in mind that costs more feel free to list it)

Thank you for taking the time, I put a lot of information to help you guys, help me as much as possible. >.<

I listen to dubstep, heavy metal, and classical. But I go for orchestra and other types of music as well. Generally song that have that "epic" feeling, I have in my playlist

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 11
Denon D2000. I absolutely love my pair. They're great for Dubstep and Metal. I don't listen to classical so I can't comment on that. They are discontinued, but there are a few pairs in the FS forums here from $300-450. I highly recommend you check them out. They aren't hard to drive either, so your Xonar should be enough to power them and get good quality. 

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 11
Audio is a whole different beast in comparison to technical computing.. But both go hand n hand (and equally enjoyable). If the main issue is your headsets volume then that's kind of a strange situation. I don't feel comfortable recommending anything in particular to you, but I hope you really research before you buy and headphone specs can be important, but they aren't like a benchmark of some kind. Its kind of like looking at the table of contents of a snack and comparing it to another and basing which would taste better off of that. Which doesn't really work obviously haha. Just keep looking around and maybe take advantage of these holiday deals. Also I got a little confused over your story, you spoke about your experiences with lower quality "gaming" headsets.. But are you in search of headphones? Good luck!

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 11
I have returned as promised! I haven't given it the chance to burn yet but as soon as I turned on the DB gain on my STX, I was blown away by the quality and sound, many thanks this was worth every penny. My siberias will probably collect dust while im not in a chat with someone

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 11
  I have returned as promised! I haven't given it the chance to burn yet but as soon as I turned on the DB gain on my STX, I was blown away by the quality and sound, many thanks this was worth every penny. My siberias will probably collect dust while im not in a chat with someone

Problem solved: http://www.modmic.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back