Headphones for a noob
Aug 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Serkan23

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody!

I am new here and i know just about nothing about headphones.
But i would like to buy a set of quality headphones, which i can use to listen to music on my iPhone at home or on the go.
I figured people here must know a lot about headphone, so if you can recommend me some i would be very glad :)
I can't give you an exact budget since i live in Denmark and prices are different.

Ps. I would like to know if you have to buy something like an amplifier to use it :)

Aug 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 9
An amplifier isn't necessary right now. That'll mainly be if you decide to get into really high quality. I say this because a lot of the higher quality headphones higher impedance. Impedance(measured in Ohms) is basically how much power it will take to power the headset. For ex; If I use my Sennheiser CX500's(16 Ohms. Love them!), I turn the volume level on an iPod about half way up. Where as if I use Audio Technica Solid bass on-ear headphones(32 Ohms. There ok.) I'll have to turn it up three quarters the way. See what I'm saying? 
impedance |imˈpēdns|
noun
the effective resistance of an electric circuit orcomponent to alternating current, arising from thecombined effects of ohmic resistance and reactance.

Anyway, I'd suggest a pair of Sennheiser earbuds for your first pair. Because, they won't be Audiophile or anything, but they'll be a new kind of quality.  And the price range for their earbuds are, 19.99-449.99. Or 120.5957-2714.69, for you Danish folk. I hope I was useful.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
How many ohms can an iPhone take without an amplifier?

I'm pretty sure it can power just about anything. But like I said, it would just take turning up the volume, and as the Ohms get higher it would loose detail. I'd try to stay under like 50 ohms, if your running it on a portable device with no amplifier. Also, you said you like hip-hop, and prefer over-ear. 1st off, DO NOT but audiophile headphones for hip-hop listening, you'll be very disappointed. I bought some, and I was ignorant to the fact that audiophile headphones are tuned for acoustic sound, not hip-hop(I listen to hip-hop mainly too). 2nd I'd suggest some of these Over-ear headphones by sennheiser.

http://www.sennheiser.com/around-the-ear-headphones

Sennheiser is my favorite brand, because I've yet to find a pair I like better than my CX500's. Any headphone above model HD515(the numbers) are audiophile headphones, STEER CLEAR OF THOSE. Just to be clear, I don't think Audiophile headphones suck, in fact, I've listen to hours and hours on end to books, or playing minecraft with my HD515's, they have good quality clear sound, very comfy, but they're just not good for hip-hop, so watch out. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
An amplifier isn't necessary right now. That'll mainly be if you decide to get into really high quality. I say this because a lot of the higher quality headphones higher impedance. Impedance(measured in Ohms) is basically how much power it will take to power the headset. For ex; If I use my Sennheiser CX500's(16 Ohms. Love them!), I turn the volume level on an iPod about half way up. Where as if I use Audio Technica Solid bass on-ear headphones(32 Ohms. There ok.) I'll have to turn it up three quarters the way. See what I'm saying? 
impedance |imˈpēdns|
noun
the effective resistance of an electric circuit orcomponent to alternating current, arising from thecombined effects of ohmic resistance and reactance.

It's really much more complicated then this. Sensitivity isn't even mentioned.
Read this: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance
A quick google will obviously yield more results

Oh, and OP, you should probably mention a price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back