Headphones for a music studio
Sep 28, 2009 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

audrey489

New Head-Fier
I'm working on building a music studio, and unfortunately, I can't use speakers because of close proximity to neighbors. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some of the best headphones for mixing and mastering music so that I don't compromise the quality for the complaints I've been getting.
k701smile.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by audrey489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm working on building a music studio, and unfortunately, I can't use speakers because of close proximity to neighbors. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some of the best headphones for mixing and mastering music so that I don't compromise the quality for the complaints I've been getting.
k701smile.gif

Here you go: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/k702-studio-393139/
k701smile.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 13
Try searching the forum for 'mixing'...maybe 'neutral', 'flat' also. You'll probably come up with a few dozen different answers. The most common ones, I think, are k701, hd600, k240(older versions), and maybe ath m50 and v6, which are popular if you're on a budget. I just picked up a k240DF for a little over 50 bucks on ebay...my second set, and they are very flat/neutral....not a lot of bass though.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try searching the forum for 'mixing'...maybe 'neutral', 'flat' also. You'll probably come up with a few dozen different answers. The most common ones, I think, are k701, hd600, k240(older versions), and maybe ath m50 and v6, which are popular if you're on a budget. I just picked up a k240DF for a little over 50 bucks on ebay...my second set, and they are very flat/neutral....not a lot of bass though.

For good bass you need a good resolution in the lower notes around 20-to-50 Hz (and not a lot of bass as boost, or "coloration"). I've tried the 4070 Stax monitor, they are nice...but the K-702 and the HD-800 are better in any respect.

The HD-800 can go well with tube, the K-702 not so much...the 702s work for me only with SS amp.

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 13
As an aside, if money is not a problem the AMP Phonitor amp is designed for studio use to ameliorate the problem of mixing spacial arrangements to be heard on speakers but using headphones.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #10 of 13
Try googling gearslutz. This is a head-fi forum, with "audiophiles" and general music listeners, not producers or working in the studio. There are a few, but not enough to help you make a good choice IMO.

Check out gearslutz, it's a forum for DJs and Producers, and they discuss headphones there are a lot also for studio use. That's my recommendation, don't base your decision on hearsay of what random audiophile who's beliefs often contradict a studio person's opinion. What sounds good for music listening isn't necessarily good for studio use, aka why you don't see studio producers using the DT880, but you see a TON using the AKG K240, ATH M50, and so on.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 13
I'm sorry to be a party-stopper, but you might be able to get away with mixing with headphones, but mastering.. not a chance. You need monitor speakers for any sort of mastering work unless you want your finished master to sound good on headphones and more specifically the brand of headphones you master with. I can't stress enough how important it is to have speakers when you are doing any kind of mastering work. The trouble with headphones is that you will not get a true evaluation on how it sounds with something this close to your ears plus that headphones will emphasize certain ranges of the spectrum. The closest you will probably come is AKG k702 and AKG k240 for a very neutral representation of the sound, but it simply can't stand up to monitor speakers. Also, say half of the people who are going to listen to what you produce will listen to it through speakers..

And you have no idea how that will sound. Why? No speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

But headphones can help, they just can't replace. By a mile.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 13
Wrong Inter. For years Armin Van Burren produced, mixed and mastered all his works with headphones. And he still continues to use headphones as one of the staples of his studio, along with monitors. Before he had his large studio, he used headphones and it was good enough to get air play and rocket his career.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by audrey489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k701smile.gif

Go there and pick couple advices !

How to Set Up a Home Recording Studio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back