Headphones for a HR Desktop amp??
Jul 1, 2008 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SH4RKY

Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a HeadRoom Desktop amp and DAC upgraded with the Home modules powered by the DPS. Source is mainly via a Denon DVD-3910 but it’s also fed by an iRiver ihp-120 via optical and when I upgrade my PC probably that too.

My main set of cans is currently the AKG701s which im fairly happy with
tongue.gif
but I'm looking for something with a different sound, character, more comfortable etc. Also, I got a little bored at work and when I get bored I end up buying things
rolleyes.gif
haha

So, has anyone got any recommendations or suggestions of headphones that work well with the above amp??
Budget is around £300 ish… I live in the UK so anything imported is often cheaper than over here but can get hit with import charges.

I’ve been reading up on the Denon D5000s. They seem to be pretty highly regarded, especially after being modded. But honestly, I'm open to a general nod in the right direction to cans that have a good synergy with my amp.

Thanks for any ideas
Ian

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 6
Have you tried the Senn HD650s? It used to be the top choice on the Headroom site, replaced by the 701s. I use the Senns when I do listen to mine. Very comfortable, and I go between them and the W5000, depending on how warm I am feeling that day.

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 6
Ah forgot about the 650s... Would like to try them, I'll defiantly try and pick a set up in the near future.

Whilst looking for a set of 650s though, I picked up the Sony SA5000s. Get the impression they wont be around forever so thought I would try them before they disappeared. At least with the Senns I know they will still be in production in a few years time! haha.

Thanks for the recommendations. You have lightened my wallet somewhat further
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 6
Morning...   Was about to post a thread basically identical to this...  But then I found this one and realised its the same question (and possibly the same answer!), So I brought this puppy back from the dead for some up to date clarification from the legendary Headfi'ers!   [/endbuttkissing welcome] :)

SA5000 and 701s still doing me proud...    PC is now connected to the Headroom amp/dac combo via an optical using an Asus Xonar D1 - that handles PC Games and practically all the music these days.  

My Home Cinema amps headphone jack (Denon AVR-3806) still gets used regularly when I watch Films / Play PS3 as I never really found a way to output a 7.1 pcm from the ps3...  to the Homecine amp... that would then output an understandable signal to the Headphone amp...

Use is mixed between the two cans.  Films/games etc get the Sony nod (easier to drive), plus some types of music depending on its recorded quality :).   701s are more mostly music.  

But anyway, my wallet seems to have gotten that little bit heavier and needs that usual Headfi lightening again!   Not really sure why, im pretty happy with my set up, i just want to spend some money...  get the economy rolling or something...  yeah, that sounds like a great excuse!  

So, was thinking about getting a set of HD650s as recommended above, possibly with a cable mod if they dramatically improve the performance.  Looking at mixed use, between films/games/music/ long listening comfort, no fatigue etc.  Good synergy with the Headroom?   They should be able to be driven by the AVR3806?   should fit into current headphone line up as i dont really intend to sell my current cans.   or is there anything new kicking about that should be getting my attention??   UK based, budget around £300.    :)

((Side note: My 'work' MDR-F1s are starting to completely fall apart now :frowning2:.  The material of the ear cups and head band basically disintegrated.   Replaced the headband with a leatherette material for now (needs revising and redoing though) and need to figure out a fix for the ear pads, although they could be more tricky.    However, I did find replacement 701 cups while mooching through headroom so did a quick test and found that they almost fit the F1s perfectly!!  bit of glue here and there and should work a treat.   Moves the driver much further away from the ear though, so need to do some tests to see how that effects the sound.   But curious - has anyone got replacement parts from Sony for headphones?   I am just fearing that the headband on the SA5000s may perish after time so I may need a replacement for that too...))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back