Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar
Nov 10, 2012 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Gallade475

100+ Head-Fier
My friend who plays acoustic guitar wants a pair of sond MDR-X10's with the reason that beats vocals sound underwater-like (Finally someone gets it). I warned him saying that MDR-X10s are bassy too, and are also underwater-like. He doesn't like swampy bass, but he also can stand anemic bass either. Do you guys know of any comfortable, stylish, closed and balanced headphones that do an acoustic guitar justice for around 300 usd?

Edit:He's also recording music, and he needs proper studio monitors. It makes me cringe when he masters on his brother's turtle beaches or 20 dollar logitech speakers.

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 17
Nov 10, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 17
I think i'll go with Warrenpchi and get the m-100, because he doesn't like supra-aural, and the m100 is also about 300 bucks.

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 17
LOL, it said $200 before! 
biggrin.gif
  Otherwise I'd have said the M-100 without hesitation!  But yeah, he would probably like that a lot.

Nice avatar BTW...
smile.gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
LOL, it said $200 before! 
biggrin.gif
  Otherwise I'd have said the M-100 without hesitation!  But yeah, he would probably like that a lot.

Yeah, i said that not realizing that the X-10 was 300 dollars. I think it will be a match for him, but the only problem, is that he also wants to record music, and m100s aren't very neutral from what I gather. Anything that could also be used as studio monitors but are easy to drive, maybe the K550?

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
Anything that could also be used as studio monitors but are easy to drive, maybe the K550?

Hmm, can't say as I haven't auditioned them yet.  Maybe, given all considerations, one of the newer ATH-M50 (the less bassy ones) might be better as an all-arounder?  If the "stylish" requirement is important, maybe one of the white ones?  BTW, have not heard these either so this isn't a rec, just a suggestion as something to look into.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Hmm, can't say as I haven't auditioned them yet.  Maybe, given all considerations, one of the newer ATH-M50 (the less bassy ones) might be better as an all-arounder?  If the "stylish" requirement is important, maybe one of the white ones?  BTW, have not heard these either so this isn't a rec, just a suggestion as something to look into.

I can't say that any ath m50 is very neutral. the new revision is still bassy on a grand scheme, but not neutral enough to monitor with.

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 17
The AKG K271 MKII's aren't super stylish, but they are very comfortable, pretty well rounded, with an excellent mid range.

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 17
Well, here's the problem right?  "Neutral" and "stylish" go together like a "nerd" and a "hot chick"...  It can happen, but there's usually a lot of money involved - or the neutral cans are very, very funny with an excellent sense of humor.  Just got a hold of some Fostex T50RP myself - and I like them for their evenness and balance.  But they're neither stylish nor sexy.

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 17
I'd agree with the M50 being a bad pick too. No soundstage and boomy. :xf_eek:

If we could live with open cans, the Grado SR-225i and Ultrasone HFI-2400 would both get him where he wants to go. But since that probably won't fly, you might steer him towards the AT ATH-ESW9 (they're colored, but it's not ridiculous - realize you will *never* get truly flat and accurate from a headphone, and you should be mastering with monitors anyways), they're closed, and they do very well with acoustic music. If you're okay going a bit over budget, the Kenwood KH-K1000 are a very good choice.

Finally, especially since Best Buy sells them, the Sennheiser HD380Pro would be worth a look. You could try the K550 while you're there, but they're not "flat and accurate" either. They also aren't super bassy. I'm not a big fan of the K550. :xf_eek:

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
I'd agree with the M50 being a bad pick too. No soundstage and boomy.
redface.gif

If we could live with open cans, the Grado SR-225i and Ultrasone HFI-2400 would both get him where he wants to go. But since that probably won't fly, you might steer him towards the AT ATH-ESW9 (they're colored, but it's not ridiculous - realize you will *never* get truly flat and accurate from a headphone, and you should be mastering with monitors anyways), they're closed, and they do very well with acoustic music. If you're okay going a bit over budget, the Kenwood KH-K1000 are a very good choice.
Finally, especially since Best Buy sells them, the Sennheiser HD380Pro would be worth a look. You could try the K550 while you're there, but they're not "flat and accurate" either. They also aren't super bassy. I'm not a big fan of the K550.
redface.gif

And no mid range.

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
Do you guys know of any comfortable, stylish, closed and balanced headphones that do an acoustic guitar justice for around 300 usd?

Sounds like the Brainwavz HM5 to me. "Stylish" is something he'll have to decide for himself, but I've never had a more comfortable pair of closed headphones. I use them for recording/mixing and they perform very well in that area.

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 17
well, he doesn't mind the look of grados or akgs, i guess i could strike stylish off of the list, and just see what he wants the most.

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #15 of 17
Heya,

Shure SRH840
Beyer DT770 (Premium not Pro; these will have to be used)
Ultrasone PRO 750 & PRO 650
Denon D2000 (used)
Sony MDRZX700
Sony MDR1R
AudioTechnica A900 A700, A700X, A900X
Sennheiser HD380 PRO
AKG K550
AKG K271 MKII & K272 HD
KRK KNS 6400 & 8400

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back