Headphones for a friend - ampless
Oct 15, 2009 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bandeira

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys and girls!

A friend of mine wants to get into headphone stuff, but he is very confused about the different options he could have...
So he asked my help, but his needs are very different from mine(I am always with an amp by my side)... so I am asking you guys some help...
He is looking for both two types of headphones for his use:

- portable straight out of his iphone (preferably not iems)

- home use and some music mixing and mastering (his hobby) straight out of his laptop

He also asked about availability in Brazil, but this you can leave to me, I'll try to find locally the ones you guys recommend....

Thanks in advance!
Patrick

PS: oh, forgot to say that he is into jazz, some blues and some soft rock.

PS2: I misposted it first on the wrong forums and was already suggested ES7, HD595, ESW9 and HFI780. let me know what you think.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 6
i would also add the Audio Technica ATH-M50 to the list because it is relatively inexpensive, geared towards the tasks you listed, and is very easily driven without a dedicated amp (35 ohms).

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 6
I'd stick the Shure SRH840 in there - fits all the criteria and is very good with the type of music he likes

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd stick the Shure SRH840 in there - fits all the criteria and is very good with the type of music he likes

If he is always going to use the headphones unamped the SRH440 would be a good fit as well, but for less money. I have listened to both sets unamped and the difference isn't that large, but when they both are amped thats when the 840 sounds substantially better.

FYI, I run my SRH440s out of a Macbook and an iPhone and neither seems to have trouble driving them.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 6
HFi580, JVC HA_S700..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back