Headphones for a drummer...
Apr 30, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #17 of 39
Go to guitar center and see what they have there, you can try them out, ask questions, and they would probably be better suited to suggest something under $100 than the folks here. Too bad it's not under $200 because the dt770s would be ideal since they make a version totally for drummers. As for the durability of the A500s, if they are anything like my A900s, they will stand up to some serious abuse. Be sure and tell your bro how much they cost and to be careful with them though. I would be ecstatic if my older brother would have done something like that for me (if I played the drums) so that is really cool.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Maybe the AKG K81's?

These all phones (k81, HD280) have no comparision with the quality of audiophile grade cans. I may suggest AKG K271 also. But the price and availability is tough for hime to consider.

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #21 of 39
Sony MDR-V6 is a VERY sturdy design, and folds up for portability. It's also completely circumaural, as opposed to some of the others listed here.

Apr 30, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #24 of 39
Since he already has AKG K55s, which lack bass, it'd be better to get him some music headphones like the Sennheisers. That way he can practice with his old headphones and listen to music with the new set.

If you want to get him an all-around replacement, then the Sennheiser may be better, since the AKG K81DJ's boosted bass will actually make practicing harder by obscuring his beats.

Apr 30, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #25 of 39
My drummer uses the DT770 M. The M is important apparently. I think it squeezes his head harder and he likes that. He's also a nutter. (It's to stop it coming off in those 'angry' moments that all drummers have)

Ian

Apr 30, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #26 of 39
if the 25 SP's sound is anywhere close to the 25-1's sound, i guess they'd be perfect for your brother. nigh indestructable, heavy/punchy bass, very good isolation. I saw T. Raumschmiere not long ago, techno/rock band, the drummer had 25-1's
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #28 of 39
Well, I think I'm thoroughly confused now. I've read through all your posts (thanks everyone for responding!!) but I'm now left very unsure as to what to get him.

I *do* want to get him practicing headphones though as he has a sound system in his room that he mainly uses for all his music listening. Plus I've heard him tell me he prefers his ear buds (I think he has a pair of Shure's) a lot more when he listens on portable devices.

So, that said:
Do I want bass or no bass? I'm thinking not.

And if so, what's the best for this of those that have been suggested? Much as I'd like to try the DT770's they're a tick out of my price range. The absolutely *most* I'll think of paying is 140-150 US dollars.

May 1, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2
HD25-SP.
Ditto.

Well most sites' review of these headphones lead me to suggest that it has substantial bass which *I think* is bad for a drummer just from reading through these posts....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back