1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Headphones for < $300?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by actualcitizen, Apr 27, 2013.
  1. ActualCitizen
    Hello,

I'm on the quest for headphones on a budget of $300.

Sound:
    Looking for a lush, full sound that is especially strong with mids for reproducing female vocals while not being especially lacking in other areas. Punchy mid-bass and rumbling sub-bass are a plus. I also don't want headphones that are excessively bright because it may cause sibilance and/or fatigue for extended listening. I don't plan on using these for analytical purposes and am open to any colored sounds if they fit the criteria.

Build:
    I'd rather avoid fragile/delicate headphones because I need these to last long without babying. I will of course be careful, but I'd rather not always have the safety of the headphones in mind. I will not be using these at work; however, I still want closed/semi-open headphones to reduce sound leakage to avoid disturbing others. Detachable cables and other such mechanics to increase longevity are always a plus.

I plan on using these for extended periods of time as well and thus would like comfortable headphones, preferably with non-pleather alternatives to avoid heat and perspiration. I can replace pads if they do not come with velour or other pads, or try to mod them.

Budget:
    Keeping it under $300. I plan on purchasing an amplifier after the headphones, but I'd like headphones that are fairly easy to drive that do not absolutely need/don't sound terrible without an amplifier.

Thanks for reading, I'm open to any suggestions.

2. MattTCG
    Two headphones come to mind based on your description...the hd600 ($300 from razordogdeals.com) and the maddog by Mr. Speakers. The Maddog is much more on target after reading your criteria. 

The isolate very well and have a tank like build quality. There voicing and reproduction of mids/female vocals by the Maddogs seriously contends with headphones costing $1k. The current build of this hp adds more weight and texture to the bass making it a truly complete audiophile hp at a ridiculous price. 

Word of warning: you'll need a decent portable amp to get them sounding their best. A desktop amp is better. So I wouldn't suggest them if you are trying to power them from a phone or ipod. 

gL!!

3. ActualCitizen
    Quote:

Any amp suggestions? I found that the stack of Schiit was recommended, but that's another $200...

4. formula1
    Quote:

The most popular good value stacks are the Schiit one and the Objective amp/dac. 

5. cel4145

+1

The O2/ODAC if you need some portability. Otherwise, go with the Schiit Magni/Modi.

6. MattTCG
    If you need portable for amp dac, consider the fiio e17 which is often on sale for about $100. It wouldn't be as power as the other two mentioned though. 

7. Oregonian
    I'm going to suggest Denon D600 (even tho it has a list price of $499 I bought mine last week for $239 rom Amazon) and NOT the Mad Dogs. If you like mid bass and rumble bass these are not the answer. Yes, I owned them and if you want the whole package including good mid and sub bass I prefer the Denons hands down.

8. MattTCG
    The denon is $400 on Amazon now which is $100 over budget. I haven't thought much of the denon's since they discontinued the old line and came out with their current line. The old line was better IMO. 

9. Oregonian

They have the used/refurb section that right now has some for $259. Just looked at it.

I own both a D600 and a D2000 w/ MarkL mods and to be honest I think the D600 is better in a lot of ways.

10. ActualCitizen
    Is the D600easy to drive?

11. Oregonian

The night I received them I played them straight out of my iPhone 5 and was blown away.

So yes, easy to drive but now with my amps they sound even better.