headphones for $200 canadian that are good for heavy metal and are polite to bad recordings (sorry about asking a new recommendations thread i figured i could get more answers this way)?
Jun 13, 2011 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
hello everyone i got back from grad ceremonies today and was given $200 as grad money. i was originally planning on getting the grado sr60i but they are supposedly very harsh. i want a pair of smooth headphones that are good for metal and are under $200. i would also prefer them to go easy on bad recordings.  i am able to spend $30 on taxes and shipping so that is important to me. durability is very important but i don't care as much about comfort. thanks for the time.

i can order from

http://www.headphonebar.com

and fulcrum audio.

i would prefer canadian retailers to avoid paying high shipping costs.

thanks guys.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 39
ATH-M50's are pretty popular for bass heavy and thrash type of music.

Beleive it or not, but my T50Rp play well too. The treble and drums are muffled, but the constant guitar riffs and screams really do come out. Listening to Pig destroyer and Metalica and they sound pretty good.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 39

Quote:
ATH-M50's are pretty popular for bass heavy and thrash type of music.

Beleive it or not, but my T50Rp play well too. The treble and drums are muffled, but the constant guitar riffs and screams really do come out. Listening to Pig destroyer and Metalica and they sound pretty good.

any others?

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 39
I keep reading M-50s are not good for hard rock, that is why I keep away from them. 

How about HD25s? I remember joker writing they are not very forgiving with sibilant recordings, though.

I have experience with limited number iems and headphones, but out of the stuff I have/tried RE0s served me best for complex and pieces of metal (say Mastodon or Agalloch) with poor recording. But I guess an IEM is not what you are looking for. (My best full size FA-003 does not have too much energy nor is forgiving with bad recordings)

I will subscribe to this to see where this goes. 
popcorn.gif

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 39
does anyone know any places i can buy headphones other then listed in canada for relatively fair price. and not to expensive shipping.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 39
really? this is it?

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 39
Can you list what bands you listen to specificly? Metal is such a broad term. All I can really tell you is to avoid Sennheiser's open headphones they are too laid back for metal.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 39
I mentioned this in the other thread but the Alessandro MS-1 is usually considered the less sibilant version of the grado line.

I like my AKG K240 for Metal, mostly because it has a lot of mid/upper-bass giving everything a darker much more heavier tone. Think Angry.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 39
i have $230 so i could order a fiio e7 and grado sr60i. should i do that?

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 39

Quote:
Can you list what bands you listen to specificly? Metal is such a broad term. All I can really tell you is to avoid Sennheiser's open headphones they are too laid back for metal.

folk metal, melodic death, death, thrash, and symphonic metal.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 39
Since you're in Canada and looking for a rock headphone but also worried about the harshness of the sr60... Try the Alessandro ms1i. 110 bucks, shipping OS either free or really cheap (can't remember 100%) and they are not as shrill as the standard grado.

They will be shrill out of the box but burn them in and match them with a decent amp and they mellow out a slight bit and can have nice, punchy bass.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 39
how are the sennheiser hd25 1 ii's? i have heard exceptional things about them. such as they are fast and the build quality is terrific.

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 39
ok it's either the audio technica ad900s or the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii's. which one do you recommend?

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 39
any one? i want the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii  but i am not sure if it's better then the ad900. how good is the sennheiser hd25 1 ii for folk metal, melodic death, death, thrash, and symphonic metal.

thanks everyone for all the help.

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 39
I have the AD-900.  They are okay for metal, they have good speed and energy but not much bass.  They are quite detailed and not too brutally revealing BUT they are bright so badly recorded treble sounds pretty bad.  Unless you listen stuff like Burzum or similarly poor recordings, you should be fine.

I had the Alessandro MS-1 before it, and it was good for metal but also bright so had the same problems as the AD900.  I've never heard the SR60 but the MS-1 is slightly less harsh than the SR-80 and that is supposedly less harsh than the SR-60.

Comfort is the AD-900's strong point and it's built well but it's not a tough headphone so definitely not durable.  Sounds like the HD-25 wins in that area.

I listen to all the genres you mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back