Headphones for 13 year old girl? Beats? (I know, I know...!)
Dec 27, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #16 of 32
She may prefer the beats simply because they are cool (which is usually more important to a kid than quality). If not, perhaps the Phillips Downtown:

It's also on Tyll's Wall of Fame:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/philips-citiscape-downtown

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

I'm not sure why people feel that just because Monster stopped making the Beats that they will magically become "better".  Unfortunately, Monster still manufacturers everything up to the Studio (actually, I think they developed the Executive as well).  That said, the Studio won't improve unless the company decided to redesign the driver (which they didn't; they don't care to).  I don't know why people feel Monster was the bad manufacturer.  I have a question, did Monster break from Beats?  Or Beats break from Monster?  And for what reasons?  Monster products aren't as bad as people put it.  Look at the Gratitude, Turbine, Mile's Davis...  They can do good products, the real question is, was it Monster that made the bad product?  Or was it the head behind Beats that did it.  Remember, Sync by 50 was supposed to be developed by Sleek...  Sleek broke up, 50's request was something they couldn't stand behind.  Maybe the same thing happened with Beats, except Monster went ahead and did it anyways (we are a capitalistic driven society).

As for Fostex, you're right, they aren't fashionable :p  

Hey, hey, you don't have to slap "idiot" signs on people (including myself) for speculations. One of the things people often specify when talking about Beats is whether they are the Monster or post-Monster versions. And when they do say "versions" then sound could have changed for the better or for worse. I am only saying could. And if you believe that driver's are the only element affecting sound, you're in for a biiig surprise.
My only reason for saying this is quite frankly due to the first generation Solo's I've heard did sound extremely cruddy and muddy while the ones recently tried simply do not sound the same. Could be Solo vs Solo HD, I don't know.

As far as who initiated the break, you can research it on your own. The gist has to do with not renewing the contract.
As for Monster, I never did put the blame on them. I don't need to take responsibility for what I've not said
cool.gif

Looking at your list though, would not SOL Tracks HD be a pretty good contender in the price range?
These are widely accepted models in terms of fashion (I guess) and also sound pretty good.

Well, if Beats have already been chosen then so be it. I'll wash my hands from this thread before more crazy ideas arise
ph34r.gif

And yeah, Fostex on a 13 year old girl? I think the cups might be 2/3 of her head
redface.gif

...okay maybe 1/2.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #18 of 32
Dec 27, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

$100 would be perfect, $150 would be on the outer limits and $200 is only for the beats 'brand value'.... 

I was actually thinking about Souls but they have that 'copycat' feel to them, like getting someone a Zune when they wanted an iPod, or the Monkees to the Beatles! Frankly, I owned a Zune and loved it (and the Monkees aren't bad either) but.... bleh.  

I think there's a hole in the market for good looking, 'cool' alternatives to beats for <$100.  I was looking at the Monster Diesel headphones, but they're $250!

I can totally understand paying for good phones, I have a set of Triple Fi UE 11's and the Senn 650's, but there has to be some concession for teenage friendly cans, where are kids getting this much disposable income anyway?!?!

I'm going to have to agree with others and say to get those purple Philips Downtowns.  I enjoyed them a lot, and I'm sure your daughter would too, especially that beautiful purple color.  Soul Republic Tracks aren't bad (mind you I've only used the Tracks and Tracks Ultra, I can only recommend the Ultra), but I'd still opt for the Downtowns, they are cheaper and have a great bang for their buck!  

Another model idea, Ultimate Ears UE 4000 possibly?  Tyll seemed to like them when he gave us the last update.  I can't speak for it myself though.  If the Philips aren't out-there enough, I also do want to recommend the Pioneer STEEZ 808.  They aren't better than the Downtown (do better in some areas, worse in others; I'd still recommend the Downtown over these though, personal preference), but do have some perks as tradeoff.  The first would be their looks, the second would be adjustable bass, the third is a removable cable.

Quote:
Hey, hey, you don't have to slap "idiot" signs on people (including myself) for speculations. One of the things people often specify when talking about Beats is whether they are the Monster or post-Monster versions. And when they do say "versions" then sound could have changed for the better or for worse. I am only saying could. And if you believe that driver's are the only element affecting sound, you're in for a biiig surprise.
My only reason for saying this is quite frankly due to the first generation Solo's I've heard did sound extremely cruddy and muddy while the ones recently tried simply do not sound the same. Could be Solo vs Solo HD, I don't know.

As far as who initiated the break, you can research it on your own. The gist has to do with not renewing the contract.
As for Monster, I never did put the blame on them. I don't need to take responsibility for what I've not said
cool.gif

Looking at your list though, would not SOL Tracks HD be a pretty good contender in the price range?
These are widely accepted models in terms of fashion (I guess) and also sound pretty good.

Well, if Beats have already been chosen then so be it. I'll wash my hands from this thread before more crazy ideas arise
ph34r.gif

And yeah, Fostex on a 13 year old girl? I think the cups might be 2/3 of her head
redface.gif

...okay maybe 1/2.

If my post was an idiot slap,  I apologize, I never meant for it to be.  That said, you stated it yourself, that question still stands up high, failure to renew the contract was why it ended.  The real question still stands to be, why did the contract not get renewed (works it's way back to my originals).  Your post made an implied assumption that the sound quality might have increased due to the breakup with Monster.  It may not have been directly stated, but it was still indirectly stated.  As for assuming that drivers are the only thing that make a difference, I know it's not true.  However, if we are talking specifically the line of headphones Monster made improving (I don't think there have been non-Monster Beats produced yet; correct me if I'm wrong), then the only way to change them would be through the driver.  The housings and designs are set, they are mass produced, and haven't changed.  So if your conjuncture is correct, their drivers changed.  

Speculation in general just isn't a good thing to do.  Speculating has really defamed many companies on Head-Fi unfairly. Whether it was Ultimate Ears (UE 900 speculation from Swimsonny), Monster, Nocs, Moshi, etc (I can keep naming companies).  Speculations only end up giving inaccurate information.  Positive speculation misleads people into buying, negative speculation becomes defaming.

Again, not meant to slap you in the face, don't take it that way.  

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:
ad700 ftw

Quote:

Oh god!  I can't even imagine these on a 13 year old girl.  You, sir, WIN.  They are stylish, fun, and purple!  

Hahahah these were actually my office headphones! And I love them but I can't imagine anyone saw them wrapped around my head and thought "I wanna look like that too!" But the Phillips are a great suggestion, they're officially on my final list of considerations.  Any thoughts on the AKG Q460 'Quincy Jones' edition? They seem neat.

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #25 of 32
Oh, at Marshall's, the downtowns are only $35. :)

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Okay I think we have a winner here folks, they're $70 on Amazon!!! Now to find a Marshall's...

Just FYI, TJMax had them for the same price too, I'm sure they are all owned by the same parent company though :wink:

May 4, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #28 of 32
'where are kids getting this much disposable income anyway?!?!'

because their meals are paid for:)

also when i was a kid many were small capitalists themslelves.

btw a tiemly post, i was hoping for a viable alternative myself. it galls me to blow 200 on crap, for even more awful marketing driven social crap. still i think i just might need to.

i hope someone chimes in at the last minute to save us.

May 4, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #29 of 32
I haven't heard these myself but Tyll from innerfidelity says these are excellent, especially for the price.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-well-balanced-noontec-zoro-ii-hd#P78vLkLPuBVIeggE.97

You can get them on Amazon in a few different colors.  They are on the ear headphones so I don't know if that's an issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Noontec-Headphone-Professional-Comfortable-Adjustable/dp/B00MWRR8OA

May 4, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #30 of 32
 What I'm saying is the Vmoda do sound better but at 13 what's the point if there's only two stripes instead of three on the outside?

At 39 I consider my beats better sounding than my v-moda but I will always preferred a bit more bass than some people, just like dre

With their market share differences its not just kids/teens that prefer beats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back